Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

stampsup

This is a discussion on stampsup within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi new hear tried to install sky broadband disk i ticked the 2 boxes for activation date and disable antivirus ...

stampsup is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Thamesmead
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

stampsup

Hi new hear
      tried to install sky broadband disk
      i ticked the 2 boxes for activation date and disable antivirus
      but when i click on the red wordining to continue nothing happens
      is there a problem with disk or am i missing something

2. Advertisement
      the_sky_goat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01243
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: stampsup

Firstly - Welcome to the forums.

Secondly - don't use the disk! There is nothing on it that you need unless you wish to install the Mcafee Anti-Virus software. Personally, I would give that a miss also and use an alternative such as AVG or Avast - both free.

As you are posting here can I assume you already have a connection to the internet via Sky Broadband?

Sky Email Help
      Skoogle Webmail Portal
      Skoogle Account Unlock Page
      Skoogle Tips & Solutions from Skyuser

Don't tie yourself to your ISP's email system

www.gmail.com - free email service.
      www.google.com/a - Choose Google Apps for your domain -
      Email, Calendar, Docs, Website.

You could also try one of these 12 free email services:

davefaz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I would agree with that completely. Just throw the disk in the bin. There is nothing on it you need.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by the_sky_goat View Post
      Firstly - Welcome to the forums.

Secondly - don't use the disk! There is nothing on it that you need unless you wish to install the Mcafee Anti-Virus software. Personally, I would give that a miss also and use an alternative such as AVG or Avast - both free.

As you are posting here can I assume you already have a connection to the internet via Sky Broadband?
      Thanks for reply
      No, i have connected from work. Have norton 2000 anti-virus never had any problems, but who/where is AVG or AVAST.
      I run an imedia 6200 packard bell computer with windows ME, bought aprox in 2000. it has no earthnet, so im using the wieless adapter from netgear bought from argos, but im having problems setting up.
      i have a town house, main BT socket is downstaires, extention on second floor has a 3 way adapter for second cordless phone,sky tv and another extentio for top floor where computer is.
      Have plugged in router and usb wireless.
      Bottom right of screen is a computer sign that is green, on desktop is a blue tv icon, but when i click on this computer stats dialing but nothing else happens.
      is this the right icon, (i currently have dial up with freeserve)
      how do i connect to the sky broadband
      Only wanted broadband for ever increasing use by my children, but this is stressing me out with frustration and as for sky help wast of time.
      Any help please.

jayhab is offline Site Content Team
      Exchange: Connah's Quay
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: not any more!
      Thanks

It seems to me that you may be a little confused.
      I'm no expert on wireless, as I don't use it, however, If you have installed the modem and set your internet settings to use sky broadband as a connection, there will be no dialing to do - you are 'always on', you should just need to open explorer and bingo, you're online.

Assuming that the router has been connected to the wall socket correctly using a filter, you will need to install the modem:
      Control panel
      netwrok connections
      create a new connection
      connect using a broadband connection that is always on

(i think)

you then need to click on tools in explorer and configure the connection to use sky.

you should then be able to go online!

However - this is all theoretical for me - i don't migrate til wednesday - so i'll probably have a load of my own questions then!!!

and I agree from reading other posts on here - don't use the disk!

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ah! There is no dialling. The modem connects by itself to the internet, and will do so as long as it is switched on. You do not have to click anything to form a connection. You might want to disable any dial-up accounts you have configured on the PC.

The wireless adaptor you have should also form a connection as soon the PC is powered up, so there is no need to click anything. Now thing is, that if I am reading this correctly, then the little computer bottom right is green so it looks like you have set that up correctly and it is connected, so the internet should just work..I would expect the little tiny computer to be red or orange if it was having trouble.

I must say, though, that setting up a wireless connection can be a bit of a trial. In general it is better to attempt to connect with wires before you try without wires!! The main reason is that you can't access the modem itself without a wired connection, if the wireless is not working, so you can;t change anything in the settings, if they are wrong ( the modem has it's own web page that you can access to modify it's settings ). I would strongly suggest you pick up a cheap standard ethernet card to pop in the machine, to use to set things up. You can get on for a few .

Er, you don't have to install the modem either. A modem is self contained these days, so it does not need anything. Installing the wwireless card should have established everything you need.
      Last edited by davefaz; 01-04-07 at 11:20 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jayhab View Post
      It seems to me that you may be a little confused.
      I'm no expert on wireless, as I don't use it, however, If you have installed the modem and set your internet settings to use sky broadband as a connection, there will be no dialing to do - you are 'always on', you should just need to open explorer and bingo, you're online.

Assuming that the router has been connected to the wall socket correctly using a filter, you will need to install the modem:
      Control panel
      netwrok connections
      create a new connection
      connect using a broadband connection that is always on

(i think)

you then need to click on tools in explorer and configure the connection to use sky.

you should then be able to go online!

However - this is all theoretical for me - i don't migrate til wednesday - so i'll probably have a load of my own questions then!!!

and I agree from reading other posts on here - don't use the disk!
      Confused you said it, when you talk about installing the modem, there is a modem already installed in computer, i was under impression you just plug in and go with the router. No other option but to use wirless

jayhab is offline Site Content Team
      Exchange: Connah's Quay
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: not any more!
      Thanks

Apologies - I meant router!!!

>> I agree with what davefaz says - elsewhere on the forums the advice is to connect using wires first, before trying to go wireless - get your hands on a network card.

Like I said - this is all theoretical for me - I've not connected mine up yet - i've only opened the box to check the contents - i'm sure i'll be having some fun next week though!
      Last edited by jayhab; 01-04-07 at 11:27 AM.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Confusion is caused by the fact that the THING that Sky supply is a modem, router, switch and access point all combined in to one unit. People often call it either a modem or a router for short.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by davefaz View Post
      Ah! There is no dialling. The modem connects by itself to the internet, and will do so as long as it is switched on. You do not have to click anything to form a connection. You might want to disable any dial-up accounts you have configured on the PC.

The wireless adaptor you have should also form a connection as soon the PC is powered up, so there is no need to click anything. Now thing is, that if I am reading this correctly, then the little computer bottom right is green so it looks like you have set that up correctly and it is connected, so the internet should just work..I would expect the little tiny computer to be red or orange if it was having trouble.

I must say, though, that setting up a wireless connection can be a bit of a trial. In general it is better to attempt to connect with wires before you try without wires!! The main reason is that you can't access the modem itself without a wired connection, if the wireless is not working, so you can;t change anything in the settings, if they are wrong ( the modem has it's own web page that you can access to modify it's settings ). I would strongly suggest you pick up a cheap standard ethernet card to pop in the machine, to use to set things up. You can get on for a few .

Er, you don't have to install the modem either. A modem is self contained these days, so it does not need anything. Installing the wwireless card should have established everything you need.
      This ethernet card, do i have to install this into computer by opening it up

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast