Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless Signal Complete Drop Out

This is a discussion on Wireless Signal Complete Drop Out within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hello all, I have looked over old posts but not found one that matches my exact problem but apologies if ...

bernardo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Muswell Hill
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wireless Signal Complete Drop Out

Hello all,

I have looked over old posts but not found one that matches my exact problem but apologies if this has been covered before.

Here goes...

I've had BB for a number of months with no major problems. I ran a laptop using a linksys card wirelessly plus one of those wirelsss skype phones both off the netgear router.

This afternoon however connection completely dropped off. After a number of calls to sky I've managed to get back up and running using the yellow ethernet cable to get online and keep going.

The problem is the wireless connection. When I "view available wireless connections" it is there sort of every other time. So check it now its there, check in two minutes gone. Any attempt to connect just fails.

Obviously the people at Sky have told me its a problem with my laptop but this is where my wifi skype phone comes in. That has been happily connected for months but that's down too, unable to connect to the sky wireless. So I have cunningly deduced its not my laptop as the people at sky said but their router is playing up.

Any suggestions are very greatfully received as I really don't want to spend weeks on the phone to sky.
      Last edited by bernardo; 30-03-07 at 01:24 AM.

2. Advertisement
      bernardo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Muswell Hill
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Wireless Signal Complete Drop Out

NewsreadeR,

Your comments duly noted - apologies and thanks.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

No problems, thank you for editing it

Everyone gets annoyed, I understand this, and hopefully between us we can all help each other out.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Do a site survey (or whatever your laptop's wireless utilities calls it) and see if any new wireless networks have appeared. I use NetStumbler which is sensitive and displays noise/interference.

If necessary change to a frequency at least three channels away from them.

While testing, turn off or relocate cordless phones, mobiles, video senders etc.

Try relocating the router, in case a neighbour has installed one of those sorts of wireless devices.

You've probably noted the comments about the need to turn off UPnP.