Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

slow wireless - sky router is hopeless

This is a discussion on slow wireless - sky router is hopeless within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi I had an existing wireless network before switching to sky, everything ran fine at 2.5meg downloads, which I'm happy ...

renners is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

slow wireless - sky router is hopeless

Hi

I had an existing wireless network before switching to sky, everything ran fine at 2.5meg downloads, which I'm happy with considering my distance from the exchange.

So the only thing that changed is the router to the Sky one.

Now I only get 0.5meg wireless with my PC's in same location as before.

If I stand right next to the router with my laptop (or use a cable) I get the 2.5 meg speed again.
      If I move laptop back to its usual place I'm back to 0.5, even though I had 2.5 in this location with my old router.

All settings, channel, speed, ecnryption etc are exactly the same as before.

So I can only conclude the Sky router is hopeless. The problem is definitely with the wireless connection, not BT or ISP.

My previous router was a Belkin one with two aerials, I want it back! How can I use this with Sky?

2. Advertisement
      Lazarus is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: STHYTHE
      Broadband ISP: Mid from 5 Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: slow wireless - sky router is hopeless

I think you should be aware that using a non-sky router is against sky's T & C's but, if you determined.....:

Non-Sky Router Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

... this may help.
      Asus P6T Deluxe - i7 920 @3.6GHz - 750GB Samsung F1 - 6GB OCZ Platinum 1600MHz - XFX GTX260 'Black Edition' - Tagan 1100W PSU - TT 'Big Water' 760i - Antec 1200 - Windows 7 64-bit - Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit

ADSL Link..............Down .............Up
      Connection Speed..9215 kbps......606 kbps
      Line Attenuation... 20.0 db..........11.9 db
      Noise Margin........ 20.9 db..........22.0db

davefaz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: slow wireless - sky router is hopeless

Did the Belkin have a built in modem? If the Belkin was just an access point, you can disable the wireless part of the Netgear and use the Belkin instead by just plugging it in to one of the sockets on the back of the Netgear. If the Belkin has an ADSL modem built in, then get your sky username and password from the Netgear and pop them in the Belkin, and completley replace the Sky with the Belkin.
      By the way, laptops have very poor aerials so they are much more prone to range problems than PC's are. This is no doubt caused by the fact that the Netgear does not have the same effective range as the dual aerial Belkin.