Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Recommend a USB wireless card compatible with Sky Router?

This is a discussion on Recommend a USB wireless card compatible with Sky Router? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi All, this is my first post, i am about to join the world of wireless. I have never used ...

philthee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Recommend a USB wireless card compatible with Sky Router?

Hi All, this is my first post, i am about to join the world of wireless. I have never used wireless before, nor a router. For the last 3 years i have had a BT USB modem.

Anyhoos, i hope this is in the right section.
      I have just ordered Sky Broadband and so am expecting the Sky router soon. One of my laptops has an inbuilt wireless card but my older one has no inbuilt wireless capability.
      Does the Sky router come with a usb dongle thing for any non wireless enabled machines you might have?
      If not what is the kind i should get? I am worried about buying something that is incompatible as i have no clues about wireless.

I am looking on ebay for something but there are so many i have no idea what to get.

My computer is old and so does not have USB 2.0 capability, i presume that means and USB 2.0 dongle will not work?

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Phil

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Recommend a USB wireless card compatible with Sky Router?

I've used USB2 dongles in USB1 without problems.

Sky can sell you a Netgear USB for 23 inc. You may find cheaper ones such as Belkin at Argos etc -- but I think the Netgear is better made.

Personally, I'd go for a PCMCIA card (aka PC card) as they don't stick out from the laptop so much and I've a feeling they're more effective reception wise.

On the other had, the USB can also be used in a desktop computer -- and comes with an extension lead that can help you position the unit for better reception.

philthee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fihart View Post
      I've used USB2 dongles in USB1 without problems.

Sky can sell you a Netgear USB for 23 inc. You may find cheaper ones such as Belkin at Argos etc -- but I think the Netgear is better made.

Personally, I'd go for a PCMCIA card (aka PC card) as they don't stick out from the laptop so much and I've a feeling they're more effective reception wise.

On the other had, the USB can also be used in a desktop computer -- and comes with an extension lead that can help you position the unit for better reception.

Cheers for the reply.
      Would this do the job fine you think?
      PCMCIA Card)

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Probably fine, but a good reason for buying a major brand like Netgear, Syslink, Belkin, D-link etc is that new drivers may be needed as Windows evolves and for improved performance. Those firms are likely to offer better support (and are more likely to still be in business when you need an upgrade).

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The router can be connected with Ethernet cable. Even though your older laptop may not be wireless enabled, it may very well have a built in NIC. If it does, you will not need to buy anything to connect it, as the router comes with a cable.