Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Noise Margin Question

This is a discussion on Noise Margin Question within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I am experiencing the same, I was advised i could get upto 14.5MB and had my line capped to 12MB, ...

brucemac is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: South Shields
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I am experiencing the same, I was advised i could get upto 14.5MB and had my line capped to 12MB, I had a series of errors on my line intially after connecting on Saturday/Sunday.

I have had a few problems with connecting resulting in me having to reboot my router and pc to get connected and speaking to tier 3 at sky to help resolve.

I need to test my internal wiring and check my stats this week and will let you know

2. Advertisement
      hugsie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: CMASHF
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      It will be interesting to see how this thread develops, I am syncing lower than one would expect, but am maxing out my connection in relation to the sync speed. I have had some issues with SNR dropping usually just a bit of lag which does not require a reboot and goes away as quickly. If you have a big drop in SNR, it is best to reboot, your router should sync at a lower speed, but it should also be more stable!

spcdust is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi Hugsie

Could you explain what you mean when you say

I am syncing lower than one would expect, but am maxing out my connection in relation to the sync speed
      and also:

I have had some issues with SNR dropping usually just a bit of lag
      I'm asking not because of how you've written it, which to anyone with more knowledge than myself it would be clear, it's just so I can learn about this router and any issues I may experience.

Cheers

Nathan

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by hugsie View Post
      I am syncing lower than one would expect, but am maxing out my connection in relation to the sync speed.
      All of my indicators when Attenuation and distance, would expect a connection of 8 to 10 megs. I am syncing at 5-7

I have had some issues with SNR dropping usually just a bit of lag
      I have experienced some lag, slow loading pages, low download speeds during the early evening, When I check my stats at these times, My SNR is has dropped from 7ish down to 6 or 5, If I am feeling impatient I reboot, If not it usually climbs back up, I think something is interfering with my connection, but I have not figured out what yet. I might go wireless so I can put the router, right by the master socket and see if that helps.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ahhhhh, so in my case the fact that my router is syncing at 13394 is a positive sign that my lines performance should be working at around that speed, maybe at the 10MB-11MB mark to allow a bit of headroom and overheads?

On standard ADSL my old modem would always report back what it was synced to at the exchange (around the 2MB mark), however sometimes the actual performance was well under due to congestion on the BT centrals and lack of capacity at my ISP's end.

spcdust
      Last edited by spcdust; 06-09-06 at 04:39 PM.

Thanks
      The speed test link I posted earlier gives a result and a figure including overheads I think?

brucemac is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: South Shields
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I am experiencing the same issues so will be good to compare.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just trying to understand the sync up speed as reported in the routers statistics.

Is this speed set each time the router "shakes hands" with the exchange and based on information passed between router and exchange (attenuation, SNR etc.) and therefore is a true representation of what your line is, at that moment in time, capable of. Or is this sync speed defined by your ISP when they provisioned the line and the fact that you don't achieve it in reality an indication that you have further factors affecting your line (internal wiring, bad copper, interference).

My point being that if the sync speed is a true representation of what speed your line can handle, in that moment of time, yet you fail to reach anywhere near that figure does that suggest, for example, capacity issues on Sky Broadband?

Obviously what I have just written above could be totally missing the mark but thought I'd throw it out there.

spcdust

Thanks
      My understanding is the former with ADSL2+ it is a fresh sync with each reboot. This reboot has no predefined limit automatically placed on it other than environmental factors. If you experience a problem with connection, then your ISP can put a limit on it to increase stability.

As to your failure tor each the synced speed that was why I made the earlier suggestions, to confirm it is your problem rather than the speed test. Also ensure your pc is tweaked for optimal performance at these speeds.

This may help if you are not familiar with making such changes:
      http://www.download.com/SG-TCP-Optim...-10415840.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12