Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Please help! I've lost sky after 2 days!

This is a discussion on Please help! I've lost sky after 2 days! within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Thanks Isitme, but not convinced it's my Laptop, as I have another pconthe network which was working fine initially but ...

nijbuck is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Please help! I've lost sky after 2 days!

Thanks Isitme, but not convinced it's my Laptop, as I have another pconthe network which was working fine initially but now also displays the same dnserror message at the bottom if the ie window.
      I haven't touched this pc - it was working and now it's not!

However, I ran sfc/scannow on my main laptop - nothing happened at the end of this, no results etc. I'm presuming therefore that it found nothing untoward?

I've already disabled my firewalls (on boyh pc's) and this has had no effect either.

Could you explain what you mean by adding sky's DNS address to the hosts list means please?

I will scan for viruses etc, but I believe I'm pretty secure against these, and this doesn't explain why I can't connect on my other pc either.

It still seems more than a coincidence that after giving my laptop a static ip address in order to forward my port for utorrent, I haven't been able to connect since!

Thanks for the help.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Please help! I've lost sky after 2 days!

As you say, it is unlikely to be malware if both PCs are getting the same result. I had not realized you had tried with two machines.

The Host file is a file on your PC where it looks up DNS addresses, it is the target of many types of malware and if it is 'infected' it can point you to unwanted sites or stop you connecting at all. I would suggest you download a 'safe' host file, delete you old one and put the new one in it's place. It is easily done and even if it does not cure this problem, it will protect you in future. If you go to THIS page, you will find the file you require and instructions on how to apply it. You will find the Host file in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123