Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Fed up with trying to connect

This is a discussion on Fed up with trying to connect within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi Guys, Forgive the inane question that I'm sure has been answered a million times on this forum. I also ...

Dean is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Fed up with trying to connect

Hi Guys,

Forgive the inane question that I'm sure has been answered a million times on this forum. I also have printed of the How to configure your wireless router file to take home tonight and try out but reading it I have tried pretty much everything in there yet still cannot connect. Both my laptops are wireless, both can see my router both try to connect to the network yet both fail to do so. They keep trying yet never actually get connected. The ethernet cable connection works fine, and I've tried to use both WPA and WEP, even had the guys from technical on the phone for like 40mins with him finally saying that he doesn't understand why it doesn't work. Can anyone shed any light on this for me please as I am getting extremely rustrated with Sky and their inability to solve anything or in fact provide any customer service.

Cheers

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Fed up with trying to connect

If you can connect by ethernet you probably only need to turn off encryption to get a wireless connection. Then at least you'll know what's causing the problem.

I'm attaching some notes on wireless troubleshooting that may help.

These steps are useful when you have wireless trouble:

Connect to the router by ethernet cable. Log in to the router's user interface using Internet Explorer. You do this by typing 192.168.0.1 into the address bar of the browser.You should then see a log in box. The User name is admin the Password is sky.

Check that the router is set to broadcast SSID name and then change it -- because a neighbour may have the same router as you and also be on factory settings (which will confuse you).

Disable all encryption temporarily.

Log out of the router and turn it off for a minute, then on again.

If poss. put the computer in the same room as the router to eliminate issues of wireless range.

Preferably let your wireless adapter's utilities manage the connection (rather than Windows). Turn off the Windows firewall temporarily.

Scan for any neighbouring wireless networks and make sure you are at least three channels away from them (I use Netstumbler which also displays noise/interference).

Turn off or relocate: cordless phone and base, mobile/cellphone, video senders etc.

Once everything is working re-enable encryption and Windows firewall. The WPA passphrase should have been supplied by Sky -- if not, you can create your own (write it down somewhere safe). Apply the passphrase to both the router and the adapter.

If your computer's wireless adapter doesn't support WPA -- change to WEP encryption.

Dean is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks, I've managed to connect through attaching my laptops to trusted wireless stations but I seem to keep getting disconnected from the internet. The connection is still active however the webpages won't show up with the starware page appearing telling me that it could not connect. My mates MAC is having no problems but I keep getting thrown out - any thoughts?

Lazarus is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: STHYTHE
      Broadband ISP: Mid from 5 Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Have you tried turning off UPnP on the router page as this seems to cause disconnects (every 15 - 20 mins) and slow speeds with some people using wireless.
      Asus P6T Deluxe - i7 920 @3.6GHz - 750GB Samsung F1 - 6GB OCZ Platinum 1600MHz - XFX GTX260 'Black Edition' - Tagan 1100W PSU - TT 'Big Water' 760i - Antec 1200 - Windows 7 64-bit - Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit

ADSL Link..............Down .............Up
      Connection Speed..9215 kbps......606 kbps
      Line Attenuation... 20.0 db..........11.9 db
      Noise Margin........ 20.9 db..........22.0db