Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Router reboots itself when wireless is in use???

This is a discussion on Router reboots itself when wireless is in use??? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; My DG834GT Sky router has been misbehaving recently. I'd already noticed that it seems to like rebooting every now & ...

Tezcatlipoca is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Cambridge (EACAM)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Router reboots itself when wireless is in use???

My DG834GT Sky router has been misbehaving recently.

I'd already noticed that it seems to like rebooting every now & then (actually reboots - not just a net connection loss), but it seems to have been doing it more often now.

Over the last few days, it's been rebooting roughly every 30-40 minutes.

Which is pretty annoying...

I played around with the settings last night, & turned off the Wireless Access Point (fiancée was out at TKD, so I didn't worry about annoying her by killing her laptop's connection lol).

Bing..... 3 hours of uptime (with my wired PC downloading quite a lot), until...

... I re-enabled the Wireless... her laptop then duly reconnected & her utorrent started up again........

BAM...router reboots. And again a little later. And again...

btw, this was with UPnP already turned off.......been off for ages.

I tried with mode G & B, G only, & Auto108, all with UPnP turned off.

None made any difference.

WiFi off = router stays up. WiFi on = router reboots regularly.

I then thought, why not try with UPnP turned on...

Since turning UPnP back on (& also turning off the rules I created for when UPnP was turned off), the router has not rebooted in over 2 hours (2:22), despite Ally's laptop being turned on & connected wirelessly, & despite it being busy downloading away with utorrent.

The router did re-sync 17 minutes ago, but did it without rebooting itself. I'm not sure if it was simply due to the noise margin dropping too low, or something else.

btw, Mossywell's Bounce is not running at the moment, so is not the cause of the reboots.

I did do some more tinkering with my extension wiring at the weekend (fitted some filtered extension sockets, in place of the god awful sockets that were messily pre-wired when we moved here), however that should improve things not make them worse, plus I can't see anyway how any wiring issue could possibly make the router reboot regularly only when the wireless was in use. Or maybe it's not the wireless, as such, more the constant hammering it gets from her laptop which happens to be wireless.

Oh, wait... it has just rebooted....4 mins now. Hmmm.

Weirdness.

Weekend before last, the damn thing stayed up for around 50 hours... yet other times, it's up & down like mad.
      Last edited by Tezcatlipoca; 21-03-07 at 12:19 AM.

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Router reboots itself when wireless is in use???

If the P2P has full upload speed, others have reported this kills the router, try dropping the upload in the P2P program to say 30% instead of 100%

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

mossywell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSMEPK
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yup - happens to me as well (though I rarely use P2P so I've not tried it that often). I have uPNP disabled, and have never tried enabling it to see if it stops rebooting. Could enabling uPNP actually fix a problem? That'll be a first!
      IQ album "Dark Matter" artwork reproduced with permission. See www.gep.co.uk/iq for more information.

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
      My DG834GT Sky router has been misbehaving recently.

I'd already noticed that it seems to like rebooting every now & then (actually reboots - not just a net connection loss), but it seems to have been doing it more often now.

Over the last few days, it's been rebooting roughly every 30-40 minutes.

Which is pretty annoying...

I played around with the settings last night, & turned off the Wireless Access Point (fiancée was out at TKD, so I didn't worry about annoying her by killing her laptop's connection lol).

Bing..... 3 hours of uptime (with my wired PC downloading quite a lot), until...

... I re-enabled the Wireless... her laptop then duly reconnected & her utorrent started up again........

BAM...router reboots. And again a little later. And again...

btw, this was with UPnP already turned off.......been off for ages.

I tried with mode G & B, G only, & Auto108, all with UPnP turned off.

None made any difference.

WiFi off = router stays up. WiFi on = router reboots regularly.

I then thought, why not try with UPnP turned on...

Since turning UPnP back on (& also turning off the rules I created for when UPnP was turned off), the router has not rebooted in over 2 hours (2:22), despite Ally's laptop being turned on & connected wirelessly, & despite it being busy downloading away with utorrent.

The router did re-sync 17 minutes ago, but did it without rebooting itself. I'm not sure if it was simply due to the noise margin dropping too low, or something else.

btw, Mossywell's Bounce is not running at the moment, so is not the cause of the reboots.

I did do some more tinkering with my extension wiring at the weekend (fitted some filtered extension sockets, in place of the god awful sockets that were messily pre-wired when we moved here), however that should improve things not make them worse, plus I can't see anyway how any wiring issue could possibly make the router reboot regularly only when the wireless was in use. Or maybe it's not the wireless, as such, more the constant hammering it gets from her laptop which happens to be wireless.

Oh, wait... it has just rebooted....4 mins now. Hmmm.

Weirdness.

Weekend before last, the damn thing stayed up for around 50 hours... yet other times, it's up & down like mad.
      What do you mean by filtered sockets? ADSL filter sockets?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      If the P2P has full upload speed, others have reported this kills the router, try dropping the upload in the P2P program to say 30% instead of 100%

Yep, already done that cheers.

Her torrent client was still set at the levels it was on from when we had fixed 2mbps BB...so definitely not too high for our ~8-9ish Sky BB.

I have cut the upload cap on it a bit more though, plus decreased the number of connections.

The router seems to have behaved itself this evening, so far...

Quote Originally Posted by mossywell View Post
      Yup - happens to me as well (though I rarely use P2P so I've not tried it that often). I have uPNP disabled, and have never tried enabling it to see if it stops rebooting. Could enabling uPNP actually fix a problem? That'll be a first!

LOL, not after all, unfortunately. I think having UPnP on just happened to coincide with the wireless connection not getting as much of a hammering as normal...reboots resumed later on.

Gone back to UPnP off now, & have tinkered a bit more with her torrent settings as above.

It's been up since 6pm now, fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by Koala5 View Post
      What do you mean by filtered sockets? ADSL filter sockets?

Yep.

I replaced 2 of the 3 (1 is fairly inaccessible, & unused) extension sockets with XTF-85 sockets from ADSLNation.

ADSL Nation - XTF-68/85 - Pre-filtered Telephone Socket

So, instead of one horrendously wired socket + cheapo dangly filter feeding the phone & another feeding the router, I now have two decent sockets with top quality filters built-in.

Ideally, I'd re-wire the other socket too, if I could get to it. The three extensions are all linked, using pre-installed "behind the wall" cabling. NTE5 > Extension 1 (unused) > Extension 2 (phone) > Extension 3 (router & Digibox). So extension no.1 is the weak link in the chain. If the NTE5 master wasn't so awkwardly located, I'd just plug into that directly.

Thanks

Hmm.

Had a whole weekend of constant uptime...was up & connected from Friday evening 'till Monday morning, not one reboot, not one resynch.

Seems to have been at it a lot tonight though... quite a few reboots this evening.

Has seemingly coincided with some torrenting by both me & Ally, but both our torrent clients have quite low (for an 8Mbps connection) upload & download caps, so I don't see why it should make it reboot.

Odd.

Thanks

Seems much more stable now.

It stayed up, no reboots, from Sat evening to Tuesday night, over 72 hours.

Rebooted Tuesday, but has been up since...over 69 hours...errors seem lower too...

Chaos66 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSBEX
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Thanks

Hi i am new to sky, how do you know when the router has rebooted itself??