Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

RIP Router - possible cause...

This is a discussion on RIP Router - possible cause... within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; After just over a week I came home to find my router had died - no lights on at all. ...

sterankin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

RIP Router - possible cause...

After just over a week I came home to find my router had died - no lights on at all. Tried a different wall socket but still no life in it.

Curious as to why this may have happened I gave the router power supply thing to my brother. He tested it on his multimeter and he said it was outputting 17V.

Would this be enough to fry the router or could it handle this? (think it is supposed to be 12V?).

Anyways, quick phone call to sky - they are sending me another router - must happen a lot!
      Last edited by sterankin; 20-03-07 at 03:34 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: RIP Router - possible cause...

Meter any of the other power adapters you own and you'll find that most deliver much more than the specified voltage -- but that's not under load.

A regulated supply might not be necessary for the device, or the the circuit board inside may apply regulation.

The Sky router does get warm -- maybe why they supply the feet to put it on its side.

sterankin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

so you dont think it was fried by the power supply?
      I did put the feet on it too, to try and keep it cool. Perhaps it was just faulty

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I'm afraid that much modern electronics is cr*p.

I noticed a change when computer video cards that were previously made in Taiwan started coming from China and started failing routinely.

mossywell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSMEPK
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

As fihart says, the power supply is unregulated (it's one of my pet hates - you should read some of my other posts on this subjet!) and delivers around 14V to 17V when not under load.* I relaced mine with a 12V regulated supply and got more stability, but YMMV. As for your question of whether the 17V could have fried the router, I doubt it because the load potential will be less.

*Such variance is shocking IMHO. If you'll excuse the pun. (No, I didn't realise it until after I'd typed it!)
      IQ album "Dark Matter" artwork reproduced with permission. See www.gep.co.uk/iq for more information.

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Probably find there is a regulator in the router to bring it down to 5 volts or something, thats probably why the dam thing runs so hot. There are 2 types of power supplies these days, cheap version is a big transformer moulded into the plug giving an unregulated output, with the regulation done in the equipment. The other option is a switch mode electronic power supply built into the plug usually give a regulated output, seen alot on mobile phones these days, tend to be a bit smaller is size.

mossywell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSMEPK
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Switch mode regulators? Yuk!

OK, they may be lighter and more heat efficient and great for mobile phones, but I'd go for a linear switched PSU for a router any day (lower noise on the output). Yes, they weight a ton and warm up the room, but they're less likely to interfere with the router. Of course, the stock PSU is linear, but my complaint is that it's unregulated and for a few extra pence it could have been so much better.
      IQ album "Dark Matter" artwork reproduced with permission. See www.gep.co.uk/iq for more information.

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mossywell View Post
      Switch mode regulators? Yuk!

OK, they may be lighter and more heat efficient and great for mobile phones, but I'd go for a linear switched PSU for a router any day (lower noise on the output). Yes, they weight a ton and warm up the room, but they're less likely to interfere with the router. Of course, the stock PSU is linear, but my complaint is that it's unregulated and for a few extra pence it could have been so much better.

Oh come on! Switch modes have come along way, When I was a TV engineer 10 / 15 years ago I used to carry a tool box full of switching transistors and bits to keep my familys various makes of TV's going cos the power supplys always used to go bang, I cant remember the last time I fixed one now must be at least 7 / 8 years ago.

That aside I'm sure that Sky router must have some regulation build in I cant imagine it running on raw dc from one of those crappy power supplys, I mean the mains voltage regularly varys by 20 volts or so in my house! especially when I turn the 10kw shower on!!
      Last edited by Koala5; 21-03-07 at 08:20 PM.