Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky DG834GT poor wireless transfer speeds

This is a discussion on Sky DG834GT poor wireless transfer speeds within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi everyone. I have just migrated from Namesco (due to appalling transfer speeds on a 8 meg max line) to ...

d3anmiller is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aylesbury
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unhappy Sky DG834GT poor wireless transfer speeds

Hi everyone.

I have just migrated from Namesco (due to appalling transfer speeds on a 8 meg max line) to Sky Max 16meg.

Much to my amazement the transfer was seamless with no trouble whatsoever. I came home from work last night to find my old router flashing to say it could no longer log in so I plugged in the new Sky one and it logged in first time. I plugged my wired desktop PC into the router and was extremely pleased to see that I was downloading at over 11Mbps. The best I ever got from Namesco was about 3Mbps on a good day.

Next I used the wireless information supplied to connect my laptop to the router and again was pleased to see that all connected fine first time. However when I then ran the speed test on the laptop was surprised to see that it maxed out at just under 4Mbps every time I ran it on every speed test site I had previously tried. The desktop still downloaded at 11Mbps when I plugged it back in to check. I even tried my girlfriendís laptop and got exactly the same speed as mine. A friend suggested changing the channel the outer was on and also forcing the laptops and routers onto various transfer speeds rather than letting it decide. Both wireless machines have an excellent signal at 54Mbps to the router so Iím lost. I can see from looking on the web other people have this issue but could not find anything that sorted it.

If I can hack the router to get my setting then I might try the old router to see if itís the Sky box at fault.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Sky DG834GT poor wireless transfer speeds

The old router won't work with Sky unless you can supply the code embedded in the Sky router (see forums on this site for how to).

Is the Sky router on a different channel than your old one ? Perhaps you are suffering interference from a neighbouring wireless system. Do a site survey using your wireless adapter's utilities (or download NetStumbler).
      If necessary, change channels.

There are other steps you can take re. speed -- download TCP Optimiser for one.

Again, see forums on this site.

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

What distance are you from the router? Do you get the same problem if laptop is right by router? If I am near my router or in the next room or upstairs above it the wireless icon says Connected at 54mb excellent signal and I get max speed in my case 6mb, as I move further away and eventually into the garden it says connected 48mb / 36mb / 24mb / 11mb with good / fair /poor signal and with each step down my speed drops, by the time I am connected to the router at 11mb I can only get a speed of 1mb to the outside world. Also TCP Optimicer is worth a shot. Dosen't bother me that much because I am always quite close to the router.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unhappy Re: Sky DG834GT poor wireless transfer speeds

Hi,

I did try changing it from 1 to 11 but it made no difference. I also tried forcing the wireless mode using b and g as well as turning some other options on and off. Nothing changed it at all. The download speed was almost exactly the same each time on both of the laptops.

Another user on ADSL guide has suggested trying optimizer as the Intel wireless adapter built into the Acer laptop can have issues apparently. Will give that a go tonight.

Thanks

Dean.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The laptop was about 30 cm from the router when I was testing it