Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Router re-boot

This is a discussion on Router re-boot within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I am totally new to all this. Had SKY Broadband wireless installed 2 days ago on basis of 16Meg but ...

peter1omega is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Router re-boot

I am totally new to all this. Had SKY Broadband wireless installed 2 days ago on basis of 16Meg but after a couple of hours download speeds dropped to under 250kps.By pure luck I discovered re-boot and speed went up to 8meg but next day back to <250kps, again reboot speeded up download. Is there a permanent solution? Rgds.

2. Advertisement
      Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Router re-boot

Quote Originally Posted by peter1omega View Post
      I am totally new to all this. Had SKY Broadband wireless installed 2 days ago on basis of 16Meg but after a couple of hours download speeds dropped to under 250kps.By pure luck I discovered re-boot and speed went up to 8meg but next day back to <250kps, again reboot speeded up download. Is there a permanent solution? Rgds.
      In a word yes there is, Firstly you need to isolate the problem to being a wireless issue or a line/connection issue. The easiest way would be when the speed is slow without rebooting the router plug an ethernet cable straight from the PC to the router and connect via that, if speed comes back you know it is wireless issues, one of the problems could be the uPNP bug which causes slow downs and lose of connection, go into the router menu and turn uPNP off it can be found on the main screen at the left towards the bottom. Router menu = Type into internet explorer 192.168.0.1 username admin password sky. Other wireless issues can be distance from router positioning, number of walls between router and pc etc.
      If wireless is Ok you then need to start looking at router stats, If you run Sky Netgear DG834GT utility version 0.4 and run "Get detailed stats" That will give some detail on line errors status of router etc, If you post the results on here me or someone will take a look for you.

I had major problems with my connection for 2 months after joining Sky and was continuously swearing at the router and calling it a pill of poo, even to the point of going out and buying a differen't make of router, but some problems persisted.
      After some help from this forum and posting detailed stats on this forum it turned out I had thousands of CRC errors occuring on my line each hour! which in turn was caused by my telephone extension wiring after making some changes there everything is fine now.
      I think what confused me is everything worked fine when I was with BT Broadband so automatically blamed Sky, but I guess that BT was running at 2mb so not generating as many errors as Skys 8mb connection.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sorry the link for the stats utility didn't post properly here it is again : Sky Netgear DG834GT utility version 0.4

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi , Thanks for your help, I kind of used a combo of your advice and 'DingDong' and my speeds have seemed to stabilised at >8500kps which is still half of what I'm paying for.\can speeds of 16Mbps actually be achieved with Sky? I did not complete the run of the utility you posted as I was receiving warnings about unstability. Please explain full proceedure if you have time. Once again thanks for assistance.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I notice your package says 'Base', is this a mistake as you will not get 16Mb on base. Even if you are on Max you would have to be next door to the exchange to get anything near 16Mb. What you are paying for is 'Up to 16 Mb', which covers a multitude of sins.

Post your stats and someone will give you an idea of what you can reasonably expect.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

When you run the util click on the "Get detailed Stats" box and follow the on screen prompts its dead easy, the post above is correct most broadband suppliers only ever quote "up to" speeds, because it is very phone line related as to what speed you get, i.e. length of line and quality of line. Poorer and longer the line the slower the speed, if you lived 5 metre's from the exchange or in the exchange you might get 16mb!! I live about 1.5 miles from the exchange supposed to be on mid package 8mb, but I have never achieved more than 5 to 6 mb on a speed test.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sorry, I'm on Max Broadband (base is the bog standard skybox set)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

(base is the bog standard skybox set)
      The 'box' is the same, no matter what you are on. The difference is, if it is free it is Base, paying 5 is Mid and 10 Max. Connect is either 5 or 17, depending on how lucky you are.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi Koala, this reading was taken after I had to reboot again to get any speed over 100kps, now running at >8Mps. Any use?

When I test the connection with Dan Elwells Broadband sppeed test programe it states high ping and packet loss should be investigated.

/usr/sbin/adslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
      Status: Showtime Channel: FAST, Upstream rate = 764 Kbps, Downstream rate = 15323 Kbps
      Link Power State: L0
      Mode: ADSL2+
      Channel: Fast
      Trellis: ON
      Line Status: No Defect
      Training Status: Showtime
      Down Up
      SNR (dB): 12.1 13.5
      Attn(dB): 19.5 10.6
      Pwr(dBm): 1.3 12.4
      Max(Kbps): 18184 864
      Rate (Kbps): 15323 764
      G.dmt framing
      K: 239(0) 24
      R: 16 16
      S: 1 8
      D: 64 8
      ADSL2 framing
      MSGc: 59 68
      B: 238 23
      M: 1 8
      T: 2 1
      R: 16 16
      S: 0.4980 7.7037
      L: 4096 216
      D: 64 8
      Counters
      SF: 128722 128720
      SFErr: 2424 1
      RS: 16733920 1094120
      RSCorr: 15625 2
      RSUnCorr: 4715 0

HEC: 2386 0
      OCD: 0 0
      LCD: 0 0
      Total Cells: 75314980 3720616
      Data Cells: 275090 107605
      Drop Cells: 0
      Bit Errors: 0 0

ES: 49 1
      SES: 40 0
      UAS: 14 17
      Total time = 35 min 3 sec
      SF = 128722
      CRC = 2424
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 49
      Latest 1 day time = 35 min 3 sec
      SF = 128722
      CRC = 2424
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 49
      Latest 15 minutes time = 5 min 3 sec
      SF = 18777
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      Previous 15 minutes time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 55591
      CRC = 2422
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 48
      Previous 1 day time = 0 sec
      SF = 0
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      15 minutes interval [-30 min to -15 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 54354
      CRC = 2
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 1

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yep you have had 2400 CRC errors in 35 minutes! I have had 3000 CRC errors in the last 168 hours! Are you plugged into an extension? If so move the router to the master socket, thats the first one as the line comes into the house. Better still if it is an NTE5 master socket the type used by BT for arround the last 10 years or so then undo the 2 screws holding the face plate on removing the face plate should reveal a test socket, plug your router into that and run it for a few hours and check the errors again. By removing the face plate it will disconnect all your extension wiring "if any" and connecting to the test socket means you are connected direct to the BT line hence isolating the fault to the BT external wiring or your internal wiring, let me know how you get on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast