Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Router connection upstairs - ok to do???

This is a discussion on Router connection upstairs - ok to do??? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hey guys, just wondering, moved into a new house recently and am using the sky router wirelessly downstairs (or will ...

dontuforgetthis is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Router connection upstairs - ok to do???

Hey guys, just wondering, moved into a new house recently and am using the sky router wirelessly downstairs (or will be when my second replacement arrives!!!!!) - am i right in thinking that connection is faster and stronger via ethernet? If so, if i have a phone socket put in upstairs, can i connect via an ethernet cable? When i first rang sky with problems they said i couldnt do that because the router must be plugged into the main telephone socket???

2. Advertisement
      Lazarus is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: STHYTHE
      Broadband ISP: Mid from 5 Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Router connection upstairs - ok to do???

Mine's plugged into a professionally installed telephone extension socket and it works just fine (SNR 13.4db) without filtered faceplates or anything else. Although this isn't the case for a lot of people.

Try it in the extension socket first and see how it goes. If you do have problems you may find that it would be better off straight into the master socket.

Sky installers are told to always connect directly to the master socket as this is likely to give the best performance with the highest noise margin.
      Asus P6T Deluxe - i7 920 @3.6GHz - 750GB Samsung F1 - 6GB OCZ Platinum 1600MHz - XFX GTX260 'Black Edition' - Tagan 1100W PSU - TT 'Big Water' 760i - Antec 1200 - Windows 7 64-bit - Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit

ADSL Link..............Down .............Up
      Connection Speed..9215 kbps......606 kbps
      Line Attenuation... 20.0 db..........11.9 db
      Noise Margin........ 20.9 db..........22.0db

Adam86 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stoke-on-Trent
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Router connection upstairs - ok to do???

I am using a small length router to phone socket, and a very long ethernet cable run upstairs to my pc.
      Seems fine.