Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

port forwarding issues

This is a discussion on port forwarding issues within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I'm not sure I agree with the statement elsewhere on the site that nothing's wrong with the firmware in the ...

flatpackedworld is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: THBK
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

port forwarding issues

I'm not sure I agree with the statement elsewhere on the site that nothing's wrong with the firmware in the router with regards to port forwarding, something is! I have both the previous netgear model the dg834g and also have borrowed a vanilla dg834gt purchased from PC world which I setup port forwarding in absolutely fine. The sky router however doesn't work.

My issue is that port forwarding works from outside locations, ie, i can get a mate to try and access the port but when I try I get page cannot be displayed errors. This has to be down to a bug in the firmware as same model router with netgear's latest firmware on their site works 100%. I recall the dg834g did have a local loopback issue in some cases.

Sky have proved entirely clueless via customer support and have told be they don't support port forwarding at all and I should contact netgear.

Overall I'm happy with the service, speed is over 220% what I was getting from pipex and connection is about 80% reliable. It's a shame that this feature which is standard in the router doesn't work completely, as a web developer I need it to work so it's looking like without a fix I'm going to need to break my t&c's every time i want to do something with port forwarding.

Any suggested fixes would be very gratefully received as I'd love to use the sky router to do everything !

2. Advertisement
      kevlong is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: port forwarding issues

Is the page that you are trying to access from your LAN a Web page and are you trying to get there using an external URL?

If so then I think that there would always be an issue?

Kevlong

Thanks

it is an external url yes, it's the url i've setup with the dyndns service.

normally there would be an issue but that's what the router is suppose to do and detect that and route it back on itself. that's what my dg834g did and what a vanilla dg834gt does. the sky router however doesn't detect this which is why it breaks.

problem is either getting a fix!

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I always thought that when you entered an external url to dyndns that then immediately points back to you, that it would cause problems, unless you have a local dns to do the resolution for you? You could try using your local Hosts file for the IP and url to avoid going out to the internet and back again?

Kevlong

mossywell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSMEPK
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flatpackedworld View Post
      My issue is that port forwarding works from outside locations
      That's not an issue - that's what it is supposed to do!

If you are trying to use a URL that resolves to an external IP address, that points via NAT to an internal device, then as kevlong says, it won't work. This is by design and doesn't indicate a firmware bug at all. (Indeed, if it did work, then I'd say that the firmware had a bug in it. It's really bad protocol to access internal resources via an extarnal IP address - forcing the traffic to go via your ip tables - and if I owned a company and someone came along and set up such a router, I'd refuse to pay the bills!)

OK - now that we've established that the router is working fine (incidentally, if you're wondering about the original netgear firmware doing what you ask - yes, that is also by design of that firmware and deserves to be shot IMHO!) how should you do this? The standard way is to use internal DNS or a hosts file to resolve to the internal IP address. It couldn't be simpler!
      IQ album "Dark Matter" artwork reproduced with permission. See www.gep.co.uk/iq for more information.

Thanks

Cheers for all the comments guys.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Your welcome, and thanks Mossywell for a clearer explanation that I could muster!

Kevlong