Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

MAC code restriction

This is a discussion on MAC code restriction within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hello, This is my first venture onto the forum so this may have already been asked - if it has ...

Malbert is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Redhouse - Swindon
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

MAC code restriction

Hello,
      This is my first venture onto the forum so this may have already been asked - if it has please accept my apologies.

I have got my new router and my line becomes active today - I hope. I was originally going for Sky Connect but between the order and it's arrival my new phone exchange opened so I have been able to go for Max. However my query involves the router.

My current Belkin router allows me to restrict access to only those machines whose 12 digit MAC address code I have entered into the router via web access (192.168.1.1 I think). I contacted Sky as there is no mention of this (or indeed much else) on the set-up instructions, but their helpdesk personnel claimed never to have heard of the 12 digit code or what it is for.

I would like to use this facility as a second line of defence in case someone cracks the WPA code. I am hoping that an expert in these these matters can advice me if the facility does exist, but the tech support doesn't understand it, or whether these routers really are not capable of this protection.

Many thanks for any help you can give me.
      Malbert.

2. Advertisement
      kevlong is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: MAC code restriction

Well I know that you can do that for the Wireless side of the router, but I can't with a quick glance see how you do that for wired devices?

Kevlong

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the reply.

On my Belkin I have put in the MAC address codes for my desktop and the laptop. As you say, it is probably not relevant to the desktop but it doesn't stop it working.

My real concern is that the Sky helpdesk people don't seem to know what the MAC address is let alone know if it is possible to do this for wireless laptops on this make of router.

Is it necessary as another line of defence or is WPA likely to be sufficient?

Cheers
      Malbert

kevlong is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

You CAN put in a list of allowable MAC codes for your wireless connection? Just click on the Wireless section in the Netgear router and you'll see you can add the list there.

Support? Well tier 1 might strugglem but tier 3 should be able to handle MAC code problems.

Kevlong

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks again.

I thought that the router should have been able to accept MAC address codes, but the fact that Sky people didn't even know what they were was worrying. I accept that tier three support should do, but I was shunted to several people yesterday, none of whom told me at what level they worked - simply that they were 'tech support'.

I guess that all I have to do is hope the line is activated as promised and have a play hoping that the router doesn't fall over as they seem to do with monotonous regularity if the forum is anything to go by.

Cheers,
      Malbert

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I'm pretty sure you can apply allowable MAC ids in the Sky router. To access it type 192.168.0.1 in IE. The username is admin and the password is sky.

However, it's easier to spoof a MAC than to break WPA -- in fact a friend who is in charge of IT at an accountacy firm says WEP is quite adequate.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks to you both,

Your information has put my mind at rest. I wish I had known about being able to use WEP instead of thinking I would be forced to use WPA as it might have saved me three hours downloading SP2 for my wife's laptop!!