Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Windows firewall conflict??

This is a discussion on Windows firewall conflict?? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, I have the sky max package which is all working fine. The only thing that is annoying is that ...

Zade is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Eastbourne
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Windows firewall conflict??

Hi,

I have the sky max package which is all working fine.

The only thing that is annoying is that when i boot up my pc and its all loaded up if i try to access the internet straight away it takes a minute or so to get to my home page, just before the page loads a bubble pops up quickly saying that windows firewall is not turned on.

Its as if there is a conflict between windows firewall and the router, and until its sorted itself out it won't connect to the internet.

Has anyone had a similar problem, or have any advice?

Its not a major problem just very annoying if you just want to use the internet quickly!

Many Thanks.

2. Advertisement
      armitasp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Loughborough
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Windows firewall conflict??

sounds like Windows being Windows which in general takes a stupidly long time to boot up. Note to microsoft OSX boots in about 10 seconds and XP about 1 minute (same hardware using bootcamp). I doubt there is any firewall conflict.

(I'm not some mac fan boy windows bashing here either, I like XP)
      Last edited by armitasp; 12-03-07 at 08:59 PM.

silbylaw is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stony Stratford
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Windows firewall conflict??

Quote Originally Posted by Zade View Post
      Hi,

I have the sky max package which is all working fine.

The only thing that is annoying is that when i boot up my pc and its all loaded up if i try to access the internet straight away it takes a minute or so to get to my home page, just before the page loads a bubble pops up quickly saying that windows firewall is not turned on.

Its as if there is a conflict between windows firewall and the router, and until its sorted itself out it won't connect to the internet.

Has anyone had a similar problem, or have any advice?

Its not a major problem just very annoying if you just want to use the internet quickly!

Many Thanks.
      This is a standard warning message relating to your windows firewall and is not evidence of a conflict. Your router has a hardware firewall and the windows firewall is not required.
      To turn the message off:
      open control panel, go to security centre, under resources, go to "change the way security centre alerts me" and untick the "alert settings" box for the firewall.
      Unfortunately it won't help your speed issues. That's a function of the time it takes for your router to issue an ip address to the computer.