Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Moving to Sky Q next week. Will I lose my Sky+ Box?

This is a discussion on Moving to Sky Q next week. Will I lose my Sky+ Box? within the Sky Q forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hello all, Not sure if this is the correct sub-board to post this on, so moderator please feel free to ...

Valdy20 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Moving to Sky Q next week. Will I lose my Sky+ Box?

Hello all,

Not sure if this is the correct sub-board to post this on, so moderator please feel free to move it if required.

So I am getting an upgrade to Sky Q shortly, and I currently have Sky+ and I have had it for around 6.5 years. I have hundreds of recordings on this box and I do not want to lose them. I have done the following:

1. Removed the hard disk and attached it to my PC.
      2. Used the Extract+ software to copy some of the drive's recordings to my PC.
      3. I also tried the ExPVR software, as I wasn't happy with the way that Extract+ exported the files as .STR format. It took a long time to find a player that support this extension.

Both of the software applications are out-of-date and not performing as well as I imagined. Some of the recordings cannot be ripped at all (this is due to encryption I imagine) and some of the recordings are not properly copying and are exporting as 14+ hour clips when they are only 30 minutes, and thus the file sizes are excessive. In other words, it's just a massive pain in the backside, I'd much rather plug it back into the TV and just watch the shows that way.

Now my questions are:

1. Will the Sky engineer visiting my house to install Sky Q want to take my Sky+ box away? I was under the impression that I own the hardware, can I tell him that I want to keep it?
      2. If I do keep the Sky+ box, is it possible to connect it up again to the TV when I want and access my recordings in the planner?

I don't really know how the whole thing works. Is it dependent on the subscription i.e. if I have Sky Q will it even work if I attach my old Sky+ box to access the old planner?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      ipd56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Q
      Thanks

Re: Moving to Sky Q next week. Will I lose my Sky+ Box?

Yes you can keep your sky+ box as it yours , but you will not have access to your recording and the lnb on the end of dish needs to be changed for skyq and his will not work with your old sky+ box .

Hope the helps clear things up

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

BurnIT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01827
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Moving to Sky Q next week. Will I lose my Sky+ Box?

Try VLC to play the recordings in your PC.
      I grabbed the disk from one of my ancient TV recording boxes and that used a proprietary format. VLC even then was the only player that got anywhere near playing it properly.

For my latest conversion to SKYQ I made sure I exported all the recordings I needed to USB