Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Connecting an additional router to Sky Minibox in summerhouse

This is a discussion on Connecting an additional router to Sky Minibox in summerhouse within the Sky Q forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi, New to the forum and looking for help! I currently have have Sky Q and two mini boxes, that ...

DPW
      DPW is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Connecting an additional router to Sky Minibox in summerhouse

Hi,

New to the forum and looking for help!

I currently have have Sky Q and two mini boxes, that work on wi-fi with no issues.

My broadband provider is BT.

I now have a summer house at the bottom of my garden and the wi-fi signal does not reach that far.

I have run a long Ethernet cable from the back of my Sky Q box to an additional mini box so I have Sky TV available in the summerhouse.

However, I need wi-fi in there too. I have heard the mini boxes act as boosters but believe this is not the case as I have BT broadband.

My question is: if I run another Ethernet cable (with a RJ45 splitter) from my mini box into another separate router, would this provide a wi-fi signal.

I want to avoid running another Ethernet cable from my main router to the summerhouse, as this is impracticable given current location of main router.

Any advice / ideas greatly appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      cuke2u is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: SkyQ hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ Silver
      Thanks

Re: Connecting an additional router to Sky Minibox in summerhouse

Have you considered powerline devices?

simon194 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDHAS
      Router: Sky Q Hub with Billion 8800NL in bridge mode
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Using powerline devices could be problematic if the supply to the summerhouse has been installed properly because there will be a consumer unit and RCD in the summerhouse. Powerline devices can have problems where there is an RCD in place depending on the type installed.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Have you tried following this guide?
      http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/attac...ther-v1.00.pdf
      I realise that it is written with using a Sky broadband router as the primary router in mind but I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work with a BT home hub. The main thing to remember is that the secondary router is acting as a combined Wi-Fi access point and network switch (not a router) so DHCP needs to be disabled. All connected devices being allocated an IP address by the primary routers DHCP server.
      Your Sky Mini box in the summer house could then either be connected wirelessly or using a short Ethernet cable from an unused LAN port on the secondary router.

cuke2u is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: SkyQ hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ Silver
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by simon194 View Post
      Using powerline devices could be problematic if the supply to the summerhouse has been installed properly because there will be a consumer unit and RCD in the summerhouse. Powerline devices can have problems where there is an RCD in place depending on the type installed.
      They can but you are assuming there will be issues instead of actually offering an alternative. Powerline can work fine in the correct environment but again you are assuming it won't. As long as the powerline is on the same ring circuit then there shouldn't be a problem. In fact, though, I have our powerline across two rings, upstairs and downstairs, and they still work.