Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Q Install on Communal TV Sytem

This is a discussion on Sky Q Install on Communal TV Sytem within the Sky Q forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi I have ordered Sky Q and emailed my property manager to arrange access to the communal system as directed. ...

choccy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Sky Q Install on Communal TV Sytem

Hi
      I have ordered Sky Q and emailed my property manager to arrange access to the communal system as directed.

I received the following back from the Property Manager,
      "I must unfortunately advise that the communal TV system has not been upgraded to be fully compatible with Sky Q, this was confirmed by our TV engineer a couple of months ago.
      As a result, I do not believe that you would be able to install Sky Q in your apartment successfully. If the installation does go ahead, there is a chance that even though the feed to your apartment may work, it may stop other apartment feeds from working as the existing system may struggle to cope with the additional plug-ins that Sky would add.

Is this correct can the plug in adapter interfere with other users reception?

Are there any other options, if I cannot gain access to the communal system.

P.S. Can't put up my own dish due to lease restrictions.

Thanks.
      Last edited by choccy99; 12-08-19 at 02:40 PM.

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Re: Sky Q Install on Communal TV Sytem

Would you be allowed to have your own dish and if so would there be a suitable place to fit it?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by choccy99 View Post
      Hi
      I have ordered Sky Q and emailed my property manager to arrange access to the communal system as directed.

I received the following back from the Property Manager,
      "I must unfortunately advise that the communal TV system has not been upgraded to be fully compatible with Sky Q, this was confirmed by our TV engineer a couple of months ago.
      As a result, I do not believe that you would be able to install Sky Q in your apartment successfully. If the installation does go ahead, there is a chance that even though the feed to your apartment may work, it may stop other apartment feeds from working as the existing system may struggle to cope with the additional plug-ins that Sky would add.

Is this correct can the plug in adapter interfere with other users reception?

Are there any other options, if I cannot gain access to the communal system.

Thanks.
      Hi Seawright, no, should have said unable to put up my own dish due to lease restrictions.

Thanks

Thanks

The Sky Q adaptor shouldn't interfere with existing Sky boxes though fitting it could cause existing boxes to require power cycling to restore reception. The adaptor does provide a load on the system roughly equivalent to two Sky boxes so if the system is operating near full capacity it could be a case of the straw that broke the camel's back. An IRS should be upgradeable but this is not something that the Sky installer would do. If using a shared dish at full capacity the only alternative would be to replace it with an IRS.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to seawright For This Useful Post:

choccy99 (15-08-19)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      The Sky Q adaptor shouldn't interfere with existing Sky boxes though fitting it could cause existing boxes to require power cycling to restore reception. The adaptor does provide a load on the system roughly equivalent to two Sky boxes so if the system is operating near full capacity it could be a case of the straw that broke the camel's back. An IRS should be upgradeable but this is not something that the Sky installer would do. If using a shared dish at full capacity the only alternative would be to replace it with an IRS.
      Thanks seawright, I would have thought there is already some kind of IRS in there as I can only see 1 dish covering at least 12 apartments. I'm trying to convince them of the need to upgrade as any new tennants wanting Sky will have to go down the Sky Q route. They have told me there are no other Sky Q installs, so I would have thought there should be some capacity on the system.

Thanks

Re-reading your original post, it appears that it is the property managers opinion (not the TV engineers) that adding Sky Q would adversely effect the TV distribution system. Although not having seen the system I am in no position to give a professional opinion, I would be inclined to point this out to the property manager and ask if the Sky engineer could have access to the system to ascertain whether fitting a Sky Q adaptor would be feasible. If the installation went ahead and there were complaints from other apartments that could not be resolved by simply power cycling their Sky boxes, the engineers work is guaranteed so a further visit to remove the adaptor and revert to the original configuration (assuming he could not resolve the matter in any other way) would be carried out at no expense to you or the property manager provided that Sky are notified of the problem within a reasonable time.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to seawright For This Useful Post:

choccy99 (15-08-19)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      Re-reading your original post, it appears that it is the property managers opinion (not the TV engineers) that adding Sky Q would adversely effect the TV distribution system. Although not having seen the system I am in no position to give a professional opinion, I would be inclined to point this out to the property manager and ask if the Sky engineer could have access to the system to ascertain whether fitting a Sky Q adaptor would be feasible. If the installation went ahead and there were complaints from other apartments that could not be resolved by simply power cycling their Sky boxes, the engineers work is guaranteed so a further visit to remove the adaptor and revert to the original configuration (assuming he could not resolve the matter in any other way) would be carried out at no expense to you or the property manager provided that Sky are notified of the problem within a reasonable time.
      Thanks seawright, i'll speak to the property manager tomorrow.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by choccy99 View Post
      Thanks seawright, i'll speak to the property manager tomorrow.
      Hi

I spoke to the property manager explained that sky guaranteed their work, but it all seemed to change when i explained as an owner occupier i was disappointed, they just said oh that's ok then, the system is in the loft space, good luck. So looking forward to Q being installed Monday.

Max Skylon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: STBNMTH
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

Hi Choccy99,

How did your install go and did it effect any of your neighbours ?

I am interested as I live in a block of four flats with a communal system. Until today I am the only Sky user, using Sky+, however, my neighbour is having Sky Q fitted today. The Sky fitter says he needs to fit a component to the amplifier/distribution unit (not sure what it's called) in the loft but cannot as it is not earthed, which needs arranged by the property manager. This is being persued by my neighbour but, once resolved, I am worried about how I will be effected by her install.
      Last edited by Max Skylon; 02-09-19 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Typo

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Max Skylon View Post
      Hi Choccy99,

How did your install go and did it effect any of your neighbours ?

I am interested as I live in a block of four flats with a communal system. Until today I am the only Sky user, using Sky+, however, my neighbour is having Sky Q fitted today. The Sky fitter says he needs to fit a component to the amplifier/distribution unit (not sure what it's called) in the loft but cannot as it is not earthed, which needs arranged by the property manager. This is being persued by my neighbour but, once resolved, I am worried about how I will be effected by her install.
      Hi

Install went fine, no reports of issues with neighbours although not sure how many have Sky. I believe it may only become an issue when multiple users have sky q fitted, as they use multiple feeds from dish.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to choccy99 For This Useful Post:

Max Skylon (03-09-19)