Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Q Wifi Network Connection Issue with Netgear X6S R8000P

This is a discussion on Sky Q Wifi Network Connection Issue with Netgear X6S R8000P within the Sky Q forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi all, First time poster (please be gentle). I recently purchased a Netgear X6S R8000P Tri-band Router and I have ...

pauliepurcell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER115
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky Q Wifi Network Connection Issue with Netgear X6S R8000P

Hi all,

First time poster (please be gentle). I recently purchased a Netgear X6S R8000P Tri-band Router and I have gone for the simple setup at the moment (using the router in Wireless Access Point mode only). My Sky Q router is the ER115. I have an ethernet cable from the LAN 1 port of the Sky ER115 device connected to the WAN port of the Netgear device. Internet is working fine. All my non-sky devices (phones, tablets, smart home devices etc) are working fine on the Netgear Wifi network, however I cannot get my Sky Q main box (and subsequently mini-box) to stay logged onto that network. I have tried several resets of the network settings on the Sky Q box and it momentarily logs on (I can very quickly check any service that would use an internet connection on the Sky Q box. However after about 20-30 seconds the "ticks" return to "X's" on the Net Work Connection sub-menu.) If I connect a wired connection between the Netgear router and the Sky Q box, the connection works fine (although this is not a satisfactory long-term solution given the location of the routers/Sky Q box). The strange thing however is even though when using a wired connection to the Netgear device, it actually says I'm connected to the Sky Router Wireless Network under "Network Name" (which it is clearly not). It is almost like it just will not forget the Sky network.

Any help would be most appreciated as I am pulling my hair out and I was already considering leaving Sky - so this is not helping!

Many thanks

P

2. Advertisement
      skyeci is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: ECI CAB - 8800nl v1 (bridge mode) + i5 Qotom OPNSense with IPV6
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky Q Wifi Network Connection Issue with Netgear X6S R8000P

I dont have a sky q TV box if that's what is the issue but can you not specify manual network settings on the q box that matches the netgear if that's what you are trying to achieve?
      billion 8800nl V1 (bridge mode)
      Qotom i5 Opnsense with IPV6
      Asus RT-AC88U - as wap

ECI CAB- G.INP disabled 8th April 2016

click for line stats by pi3/ECI CAB

click for line stats by Pi3/Huawei CAB

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for your reply. Yes you can specify a "3rd Party Router" which I do. And the Netgear device is listed in the list of SSID's in the Network Setup in the Sky Q interface. I select it, insert the password etc and it makes a connection as I mentioned previously. But after about 20/30 seconds it loses the connection.

Exchange:
      Thanks

how about trying very basic security on the wifi from the netgear. Sounds like the sky q doesn't like something to do with the wifi security its being sent or trying to understand. You could try it as "open" just for testing and see if it stays connected... then if it does play with the security types on the netgear and hope you can find a compromise which won't leave your network exposed etc..
      Asus RT-AC88U - as wap

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi there, sounded like a good idea so I tried it. Unfortunately the same thing happened again. I set the Network to open (i.e. no security) and again it logged on for about 30 seconds (I could access online video, on demand etc from the other menus) but then lost the connection again. I know Sky recently relaxed their policy of using third party equipment - do you think if I contacted their customer support they would oblige me? I mean I'm still (begrudgingly using their hub - I'm just using 3rd party router as a wireless access point really).

Exchange:
      Thanks

seems odd its dropping if no security is set. Sky wont provide any help with using a 3rd party router.

Even if you used your own vdsl modem and if the netgear supports option 61 (other netgears did not without running something like ddwrt ) I dont see what difference it would make as the wifi config will be the same.
      I think you need to check your settings on the skyq box first to be sure they are correct and no security on the netgear for testing. Are you using dhcp on the skyq box with the netgear or are you using manual config.

I would use manual confing on the skyq box (still with wifi) and specify an ip address not in use, the er115 ip address as the default gateway and for the dns address's enter 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 - if there is setting for ipv6 on this screen leave it blank for now.
      see what result that gives you first..
      Asus RT-AC88U - as wap

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi - thanks for the suggestion. I’m pretty sure all the info is correct in the Sky Q box (as it is obviously initially logging on ok.) But I will try the manual IP assignment as you suggested. Away at the moment so will try when I’m home in a day or two and will let you know how it goes.