Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Upgrade from Sky+ HD to Sky Q with Sky Q mini

This is a discussion on Upgrade from Sky+ HD to Sky Q with Sky Q mini within the Sky Q forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Just trying to decide whether to upgrade from Sky+ HD to Sky Q. My current set up with Sky Q ...

nedchester is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hooton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER115
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Upgrade from Sky+ HD to Sky Q with Sky Q mini

Just trying to decide whether to upgrade from Sky+ HD to Sky Q.

My current set up with Sky Q Hub with Sky Fibre Max internet and Sky+ HD in two rooms so have the ability to record on two seperate boxes in two seperate rooms. Both HD boxes are have wired connections to the internet for downloads (Main box connected to Sky Q Hub and the second box connected to TP-link plugs via Powerline) I have Firesticks on both TVs for Netflix and Amazon.

If I get Sky Q (2 Tb box) and Sky mini then it should in theory be a similar set up (it's the same price except for the 20 installation fee)

However, I am a little concerned about how well the wifi to the Sky Q mini-boxes will work. So a few questions...

1. What sort of difficulties do users have with Sky Q mini's talking to the Sky Q main box. Do they boxes stutter especially when using live TV?
      2. If the internet goes off do the mini's still work?
      3. Can I connect the mini's to the Tp-link powerline adapters as I've heard differing stories about whether this can be done or not?

Obviously, don't want to make a retrograde step so would appreciate some help from folk more knowledgeable than me!

2. Advertisement
      lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tb + minis
      Thanks

Re: Upgrade from Sky+ HD to Sky Q with Sky Q mini

1. What sort of difficulties do users have with Sky Q mini's talking to the Sky Q main box. Do they boxes stutter especially when using live TV?
      None, I run Sky Q only on wifi, mini on wifi mesh to sky q main box and sky main box wifi to sky q hub. Do not have any problems or glitches at all.

2. If the internet goes off do the mini's still work?
      Yes, as Sky Q creates its own wifi local mesh network in your house between the boxes. The mini box will pick up the live TV 'satellite channels' via the main box and distribute that via the mesh to the minis and your phone/tablets with the Sky Q app. Of course all the apps, like netflix, youtube, spotify etc and all the On demand and catchup stuff that comes via the internet will not be available if your internet is off.

3. Can I connect the mini's to the Tp-link powerline adapters as I've heard differing stories about whether this can be done or not?
      Yes, do not use those Myself but know loads that do and some on here have used them well, they work fine.

There is a good 'black friday' offer at the moment for Sky Q, that gets you a free LG 43 UHD inch TV, well worth doing if you do not have a UHD TV at the moment.
      That offer is limited, but they are doing plenty of other good deals with the new Ultimate On demand boxsets/netflix deal at the moment.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to lettice For This Useful Post:

nedchester (21-11-18)

nedchester is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hooton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER115
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Upgrade from Sky+ HD to Sky Q with Sky Q mini

Many thanks for this response and I think I will give it a go especially as they are currently offering it at 20.

Incidentally, Sky have run out of 43 UHD TVs so that offer has now finished.