Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Sky Q & Netflix

This is a discussion on Sky Q & Netflix within the Sky Q forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; We have Sky Q silver, and we're currently also paying 7.99 per month for Netflix. I was rather excited to ...

Stumpy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stainton
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: BT Home Hub
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Sky Q & Netflix

We have Sky Q silver, and we're currently also paying 7.99 per month for Netflix.

I was rather excited to see that Sky are going to be adding Netflix to their boxes as sometimes the Netflix app on our TV doesn't work properly.

I'm just a bit confused about how it's going to work for me. I thought it would just be an App on the Sky box, like youtube, for example, but it seems they're going to integrate it alongside the box sets.

They're saying we can either simply add our netflix details in to the Sky Box in order to log into our own Netflix account and get everything as before, or we can pay an additional 10 a month to get Netflix and boxsets.

However, we already have box sets (I'm assuming it's part of the Q package?) .. so does this mean that we could just pay an extra 5 a month, to Sky, to continue our sub with Netflix, and cancel the 7.99 we're paying direct to Netflix?

4. How much will it cost?

● For only 10 extra a month, it's UK's best price for Sky and Netflix content on demand (Netflix from 7.99, Sky Box Sets 5).

● New Sky customers will need to purchase a Sky Q Entertainment subscription at 20 a month (min 18 month contract) and add Ultimate On Demand for an extra 10 a month.

● To watch Ultra HD content on more screens with Sky Q, Ultimate On Demand pack customers can also take Q Experience at 12 per month and will be automatically upgraded to Netflix Premium Plan (UHD content, 4 simultaneous streams).
      6. How does Ultimate On Demand work with customers that have an existing Netflix Standard plan?

● Existing Netflix Standard plan customers will be able to easily transfer their Netflix account into their Sky TV subscription, or alternatively sign in to the Netflix app directly using their existing account details.

● Existing Netflix customers transferring their existing Netflix account to their Sky TV subscription will be able to keep their existing Netflix profiles.

● Customers who transfer their existing Netflix account to their Sky TV subscription will benefit from the ease of one monthly bill.
      11. What does this mean for customers with Sky Box Sets?

● Customers with Sky Box Sets will be able to keep their current Sky Box Sets pack, but this won't include Netflix or access to the Netflix app within their subscription.

● Sky Box Sets customers will need to upgrade to Ultimate On Demand or log in to the Netflix app on Sky Q using an existing Netflix subscription in order to access Netflix shows.

2. Advertisement
      gmangt4 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: SkyQ
      Thanks

Re: Sky Q & Netflix

Are you sure you've boxsets on your sub? I have SkyQ 2TB and mini boxes, sports and movies package but boxsets was 5 extra and I didn't take them as I had them on my SkyHD sub and never used them....anyway it's not standard on my sub and would cost me the extra 5...I hope that makes sense. If you already have it then it does look like you can drop the 7.99 sub and upgrade to the 10 one with sky, I don't think its as straight forward though, I presume you would need to drop the boxsets and reduce your bill by 5 and then upgrade to the Ultimate on demand at 10, so extra cost to you is 5 but might be double for the first month as the providers like to do. HTH

Thanks

I've definitely got boxsets .. quite useful as I never watch adverts and usually only know about good TV series after they've been out a while ;-) I had assumed it was part of the Sky Q package .. but perhaps it's part of another "set" I've got. We also have sports and movies. I guess we'll probably find out come November ;-)

dcoppard is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01273
      Broadband ISP: Tiscali
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
      I've definitely got boxsets .. quite useful as I never watch adverts and usually only know about good TV series after they've been out a while ;-) I had assumed it was part of the Sky Q package .. but perhaps it's part of another "set" I've got. We also have sports and movies. I guess we'll probably find out come November ;-)
      I'm the same as you Stumpy. I have box sets but I have never paid anything for it. I rarely use it but I checked last night that it worked by downloading an episode of "The walking dead" and was able to watch it with no problems.
      I also have a lapsed Netflix subscription which I dropped because it was a bit of a pain trying to access it through Amazon Prime. However they keep reminding me to rejoin at 7.99 and I might well do if I can pay 7.99 through Sky and have a better and easier interface.
      Roll on the 1st November when all will be revealed I hope.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dcoppard View Post
      I'm the same as you Stumpy. I have box sets but I have never paid anything for it. I rarely use it but I checked last night that it worked by downloading an episode of "The walking dead" and was able to watch it with no problems.
      I also have a lapsed Netflix subscription which I dropped because it was a bit of a pain trying to access it through Amazon Prime. However they keep reminding me to rejoin at 7.99 and I might well do if I can pay 7.99 through Sky and have a better and easier interface.
      Roll on the 1st November when all will be revealed I hope.

It might be worth holding off on the 7.99 subscription until November .. If they're saying it costs 10 per month for box sets and Netflix, but if you've already got box sets (worth 5 per month), then in theory it should only cost an additional 5 per month to add the Netflix.

I'm also curious to know if, once it comes to sky, we'll be able to "series link" and save Netflix content. I realise that most Netflix stuff is readily available, but there are some series that are weekly - would be nice for at least those to be bookmarked/downloaded for us so we don't forget about them

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Stumpy For This Useful Post:

dcoppard (12-10-18)

dcoppard is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01273
      Broadband ISP: Tiscali
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Nice thought but as I seem to have box sets for no cost it would be cheaper to pay just 7.99 than 10.
      As far as Netflix is concerned I'm pretty sure it's not downloadable only streaming, (like youtube) so series link wouldn't work.
      Might be wrong but will have to wait and see.

Thanks

I was just assuming that as Sky was classing it as box sets 5 + netflix 5 = 10 ... if you already had box sets, you'd only pay the additional 5 to make it up to the "10" -- regardless of whether box sets is bundled into something else so you may be having that cost soaked up elsewhere, however, I've just seem something on the Sky forums as a reply to my question (someone else asked the same thing) and the answer was "You would need to change to latest packages and recontract to get cheapest prices. 10 bundle for Netflix and Box Sets combined.". Which suggests that, although we currently have the boxsets as part of the package we're already on .. if we wanted this particular "box sets & netflix" package, it would cost an extra 10 per month. Which is bonkers.

The only way around that would be just to use the netflix app on the sky box to log into your netflix as you would the youtube or spotify.

It seems to suggest that the difference would be that paying the extra would integrate the "whats on" bit more with netflix .. but I'm not really sure. I guess it's just a matter of waiting until it launches.

**Edit .. just found this, that seems to support the theory that you either keep them separate (free boxsets if we already have them, plus your normal Netflix subscription) and just use the Netflix app, or pay the extra (depending on your current Netflix subscription) and for 10 get both the box sets and Netflix, but the latter is better integrated into your box .. including "continue watching" for netflix shows you are part way through (I'm not sure if this means part way through an episode, or a series) : https://www.pocket-lint.com/tv/news/...tions-answered

It is worth noting that for Sky Q Silver (if I'm reading it right) you automatically get the better Netflix package (4 concurrent streams at up to 4k quality).
      Last edited by Stumpy; 13-10-18 at 12:51 AM.

Russ64 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Pimlico
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: SKY Q 2Tb
      Thanks

Uhm ... I am paying 9.99pm for the 4k Netflix to use on my Apple TV 4k box. I think I will wait until Sky Q has HDR before I decide as I am getting HDR/Dolby Vision at the moment.
      Sky Q 2TB, 2x Mini's, Sky Q Hub (ER110 & EE120), Sky Fibre Max
      Sony 55XE9305, MF M3i, Denon AVR-X3300W, Oppo 203, Tannoy 5.1.2, BK P12-300SB-PR
      Sony 32W705,
      Yamaha YSP-1600, Asustor AS5002T 4TB NAS, Apple TV 4K

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Russ64 View Post
      Uhm ... I am paying 9.99pm for the 4k Netflix to use on my Apple TV 4k box. I think I will wait until Sky Q has HDR before I decide as I am getting HDR/Dolby Vision at the moment.
      If you have the Q multiroom (ie, the 2TB box, etc) then you would automatically get the 9.99 Netflix package. So, if you're not currently getting box sets, you would basically get them added on for free. But I have seen some mention that they get a better quality sound/picture through Netflix direct, rather than through Sky? I had noticed the sound thing (I'm assuming Sky are trying to push their soundbar to improve sound quality), but hadn't realised that accessing Netflix through Sky would mean the quality would drop.

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
      If you have the Q multiroom (ie, the 2TB box, etc) then you would automatically get the 9.99 Netflix package. So, if you're not currently getting box sets, you would basically get them added on for free. But I have seen some mention that they get a better quality sound/picture through Netflix direct, rather than through Sky? I had noticed the sound thing (I'm assuming Sky are trying to push their soundbar to improve sound quality), but hadn't realised that accessing Netflix through Sky would mean the quality would drop.
      Interesting, I think the quality of youtube is poorer on SkyQ vs Amazon Fire TV.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast