Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Using MAC addresses for wifi security doesn't work for Sky Q boxes

This is a discussion on Using MAC addresses for wifi security doesn't work for Sky Q boxes within the Sky Q forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi everyone Hoping someone can help. I have just had a Sky Q 2TB box installed, replacing my old Sky+ ...

porschematt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01491
      Broadband ISP: TalkTalk 75Mbps
      Router: TalkTalk VDSL
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Using MAC addresses for wifi security doesn't work for Sky Q boxes

Hi everyone

Hoping someone can help.

I have just had a Sky Q 2TB box installed, replacing my old Sky+ HD box. I do not have any Mini-boxes. It is using the latest software version Q071.000.29.00L(4x4gj4k). I have a TalkTalk 75Mb/s Internet connection with TalkTalk VDSL Router.

I use device MAC addresses to secure wifi access rather than passwords - only known devices are permitted to access the Router wifi.

Using the Sky box menu Settings/System Info, I can see Sky Q Box MAC addresses for 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz and Ethernet devices.

• 2.4 ......... 0c:f9:c0:93:c5:fe
      • 5 ............ 0c:f9:c0:93:c5:fb
      • Ethernet .. 0c:f9:c0:93:c5:f8

When connecting to wifi, I am only offered the 2.4GHz connection. I believe this is the standard way of handling connection to a non-Sky Router.

When the Router's MAC address security is turned off, the Sky Q box connects to 2.4 GHz and works fine. However, the MAC address the Router sees for the 2.4 GHz band is completely different to that which the box says it uses, i.e. "oe:fc:e0:49:c5:fa", so when the MAC address security is turned on, the Sky Q box is not permitted to connect to wifi.

This means that in order to use Sky Q on Internet, I need to turn off the Router's wifi MAC address security, which is obviously not acceptable. My old SKY+ HD box did not have this problem – MAC address wifi security worked just fine.

2. Advertisement
      146Kg is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER115
      Thanks

Re: Using MAC addresses for wifi security doesn't work for Sky Q boxes

What happens if you enter the "completely different" MAC address in the router as trusted ?

Thanks

Hi 146Kg

Many thanks for your response.

I was going to reply "MAC address already used" - I'd tried this a couple of times before - but your response inspired me to try again.

The way this normally works is ...
      1. Turn off MAC address security
      2. See what appears in the LAN Devices list and give the new device a proper name
      3. Look at Wireless Access list and select the new device
      4. Turn on MAC address security

However, this was not the case in this situation. To avoid the "MAC address already used" message ...
      1. Do above steps and accept the device with the "completely different" MAC address
      2. Turn off MAC address security
      3. Look at Wireless Access list and manually add new device with "proper" MAC address
      4. Look at LAN Devices list (the "proper" device will have appeared there)
      5. Turn on MAC address security
      6. Note that both devices now appear in LAN Devices list but the "proper" device no longer appears in the Wireless Access list

Weird but it seems to work.

Thanks for the inspiration to try again.

146Kg is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER115
      Thanks

Glad it is sorted.
      Technology needs some "leftfield thinking" sometimes.
      I often can't see the wood for the trees but the solution pops up hours later when doing something unrelated.

simon194 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDHAS
      Router: Sky Q Hub with Billion 8800NL in bridge mode
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by porschematt View Post
      When the Router's MAC address security is turned off, the Sky Q box connects to 2.4 GHz and works fine. However, the MAC address the Router sees for the 2.4 GHz band is completely different to that which the box says it uses, i.e. "oe:fc:e0:49:c5:fa", so when the MAC address security is turned on, the Sky Q box is not permitted to connect to wifi.

This means that in order to use Sky Q on Internet, I need to turn off the Router's wifi MAC address security, which is obviously not acceptable. My old SKY+ HD box did not have this problem MAC address wifi security worked just fine.
      The Q boxes present a virtual MAC address which is links all the interfaces. Simply put, this is so the AirTies mesh, which is used to connect the main Q box with mini's and the Q hub, doesn't have to bother about how the data sent between the boxes and hub is routed over the various interfaces. You just need to use the virtual MAC address.

Thanks

Thanks Simon.

Using just the virtual MAC address to secure wifi does not work. It is also additionally necessary to specify the real MAC address as described in my post above.