Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Send HDMI signal over 10m with HDMI cable?

This is a discussion on Send HDMI signal over 10m with HDMI cable? within the Sky Q forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi all, I am having my carpet laid in two weeks time, and I am in a position to take ...

JRussell128 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Send HDMI signal over 10m with HDMI cable?

Hi all,

I am having my carpet laid in two weeks time, and I am in a position to take the floorboards up to lay some Ethernet cabling.

I would like to know if it is possible to send a HD signal over Ethernet?

In order to do this, I believe I would have to run a HDMI cable from my Sky Q box to a HDMI splitter. From the splitter, run another HDMI cable to a HDMI to Ethernet adapter. From the adapter run a CAT 6 Ethernet cable approx. 8 or so metres to the bedroom. In the bedroom, have the other adapter going from Ethernet to HDMI and finally, HDMI adapter to the HDMI port on the TV.

Or can I buy a high quality 10m HDMI cable in conjunction with a HDMI splitter at my Sky Q box?

To control the box, I can use the Sky + app on my phone/iPad.

Has anyone been successful in the past doing this and is it worth it? Are there any other methods that could prove to be easier?

Many thanks in advance!

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Send HDMI signal over 10m with HDMI cable?

Before spending out on a high tech solution could I suggest purchasing an HDMI cable of sufficient length from an on-line retailer and testing picture quality using long cable between Sky box and TV. If ok introduce a splitter and existing short HDMI cables on other two splitter ports (i/p & o/p) and recheck quality on two TVs. At this stage cable should be run loose moving 2nd TV if necessary. If satisfactory you can then consider routing cables under floor boards in the knowledge that it will work.

If this does not provide sufficient quality return the, on-line purchased, cable as not suitable for purpose. You can then investigate more expensive options.

Edit:
      If the long cable gives good quality with one TV but not with two, the quality of the splitter could be the problem especially if you are using an unpowered (passive) splitter. A powered splitter should help but they are considerably more expensive.
      Last edited by seawright; 12-09-18 at 02:33 PM.

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I use an 8 metre HDMI cable to the bedroom and a powered splitter with no issues.
      The splitter was less than 10 on eBay. As the HDMI signal is digital it is unlikely the picture quality will degrade, it will either work or it won’t.
      I think the limit for HDMI is 10 - 12 metres. The CAT5/6 option you mention will transmit considerably further.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JRussell128 View Post
      Hi all,

I am having my carpet laid in two weeks time, and I am in a position to take the floorboards up to lay some Ethernet cabling.

I would like to know if it is possible to send a HD signal over Ethernet?

In order to do this, I believe I would have to run a HDMI cable from my Sky Q box to a HDMI splitter. From the splitter, run another HDMI cable to a HDMI to Ethernet adapter. From the adapter run a CAT 6 Ethernet cable approx. 8 or so metres to the bedroom. In the bedroom, have the other adapter going from Ethernet to HDMI and finally, HDMI adapter to the HDMI port on the TV.

Or can I buy a high quality 10m HDMI cable in conjunction with a HDMI splitter at my Sky Q box?

To control the box, I can use the Sky + app on my phone/iPad.

Has anyone been successful in the past doing this and is it worth it? Are there any other methods that could prove to be easier?

Many thanks in advance!

To control the box you will need to take the Bluetooth remote up to the second room and use an older IR remote in the primary room

(if you got Sky Q at a time when you got both - or you could buy an old remote from 3rd party)

[assuming your Sky Q isn't hidden in a cupboard]

unfortunately Sky set it that you could only pair 1 Bluetooth remote to each Sky Q box some time ago.
      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of Sky

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

To control the box you will need to take the Bluetooth remote up to the second room and use an older IR remote in the primary room

(if you got Sky Q at a time when you got both - or you could buy an old remote from 3rd party)

[assuming your Sky Q isn't hidden in a cupboard]

unfortunately Sky set it that you could only pair 1 Bluetooth remote to each Sky Q box some time ago.

Interesting! Can you not control a Sky Q box from the Sky app like on the Sky HD box’s??