Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By gmangt4

New Sky Q setup and original non sky router with Bt openreach modem qn

This is a discussion on New Sky Q setup and original non sky router with Bt openreach modem qn within the Sky Q forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hello one and all, Been awhile since being on here, but found this place such a great help when i ...

*skys*the*limit* is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLEF
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Asus RT AC68U
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

New Sky Q setup and original non sky router with Bt openreach modem qn

Hello one and all,

Been awhile since being on here, but found this place such a great help when i wanted to use something other than the pathetic sky sr101 router which gave very limited wifi coverage in my home. Due to this lovely place i was able to setup an ASUS router using merlin firmware and wireshark my username and password to input into the asus router and all has been great since

My question now is... i have just upgraded to sky q through the VIP offer and so will be having this installed end of sept - they send me the sky hub out to connect up the day before.. but im presuming this will likely be as rubbish as previous generations of routers...

what are my options to still have my Asus RT AC68U along with the Bt open reach (sm white box) modem - is it possible, if so how please? Will the option 61 details change for the new sky q hub etc ?

Be grateful for any help and advice so i dont loose the many options of the Asus - but who knows i may just like the sky hub :P

TIA
      Lee

2. Advertisement
      gmangt4 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: SkyQ
      Thanks

Re: New Sky Q setup and original non sky router with Bt openreach modem qn

I use Asus AC68u routers on SkyQ without issue, I never even took the SkyQ Hub out of its box. I did use a BTO HG612 when Sky was my ISP but now my ISP is VM I just changed HG612 for the VM hub in modem mode and WAN type on my router....but as your not making changes to your ISP then you don't need to do anything.....sky BB doesn't need your username and password extracted using wireshark anymore, any characters at all will work as long as in the correct format, which yours will be as already works.
      I hope that helps.
      *skys*the*limit* likes this.

*skys*the*limit* is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLEF
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Asus RT AC68U
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gmangt4 View Post
      I use Asus AC68u routers on SkyQ without issue, I never even took the SkyQ Hub out of its box. I did use a BTO HG612 when Sky was my ISP but now my ISP is VM I just changed HG612 for the VM hub in modem mode and WAN type on my router....but as your not making changes to your ISP then you don't need to do anything.....sky BB doesn't need your username and password extracted using wireshark anymore, any characters at all will work as long as in the correct format, which yours will be as already works.
      I hope that helps.
      So do you think mr sky engineer will not bother that there's no sky hub connected up? Wouldn't want to cause any issue with the Sky Q installation end of the month

gmangt4 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: SkyQ
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by *skys*the*limit* View Post
      So do you think mr sky engineer will not bother that there's no sky hub connected up? Wouldn't want to cause any issue with the Sky Q installation end of the month
      I got one 2TB and two mini's installed, two installers did mine, they never even batted an eyelid at my own router, they just wired the boxes that had to be wired and connected one mini by wifi, they used WPS on the Sky boxes to connect the wireless mini to the main box, gave a demo and off they went.
      I think the issue is the boxes won't work as wifi hotspots using Sky's MESH system for the SkyQ hub, but like me thats not an issue for you as your wifi is good enough for your needs. Sky new at time of me signing up that I would be keeping my ISP.
      Only thing is if you ever need to phone for broadband help you will need to put the Sky hub online or they normally don't help you, so wise to keep it handy just in case.