Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

BT broadband and Sky Q

This is a discussion on BT broadband and Sky Q within the Sky Q forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi I have BT business broadband and a Draytek Vigor 2860ac router connected to a Sky Q box. Initially everything ...

west25006 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Dratek Vigor 2860ac
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

BT broadband and Sky Q

Hi
      I have BT business broadband and a Draytek Vigor 2860ac router connected to a Sky Q box.

Initially everything worked perfectly with connection from the router to the Sky Q via ethernet cable.
      The Sky Q box did an update and then could not connect to the internet ( the box shows connection to the router is OK)
      After a few days the Sky box then failed completely.
      Engineer replaced the box but could not get the internet connection to work on either cable or wifi. (The box is showing it is connected to the router OK)
      He suggests it is a BT problem but the original box worked perfectly for months.
      I do not know whether it is Sky, router or BT I need to talk to.
      Any suggestions?

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: BT broadband and Sky Q

As the Sky Q box is connecting to the router I wondered if it could be a DNS issue. Can you set your router to use a public DNS server eg. 8.8.8.8 instead of obtaining the DNS server address from your ISP? Failing that use an Ethernet cable connection to connect the Sky Q box to your router and use manual settings instead of obtaining settings automatically (on the Sky Q box) and use 8.8.8.8 for the name server address.

west25006 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Dratek Vigor 2860ac
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: BT broadband and Sky Q

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      As the Sky Q box is connecting to the router I wondered if it could be a DNS issue. Can you set your router to use a public DNS server eg. 8.8.8.8 instead of obtaining the DNS server address from your ISP? Failing that use an Ethernet cable connection to connect the Sky Q box to your router and use manual settings instead of obtaining settings automatically (on the Sky Q box) and use 8.8.8.8 for the name server address.
      Thanks seawright, my router gave the sky box an odd DNS, changed it to BT DNS and instantly worked! Really appreciate the help.