Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Q & Apple devices - poor connectivity.

This is a discussion on Sky Q & Apple devices - poor connectivity. within the Sky Q forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I upgraded to Sky Q and in general it has been Ok. The difficulty I have is that my wife ...

IanJSutherland is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01992
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky Q & Apple devices - poor connectivity.

I upgraded to Sky Q and in general it has been Ok. The difficulty I have is that my wife and daughter (iphone and mac users) are continually bemoaning that the wifi connectivity is awful and that they are having to use the mobile data on their phones and hot spot to the mac. This seems strange as my android phone works fine. I have also used a wifi analyser app and the signals seem to be OK albeit they do seem to fluctuate.

I have tried changing channels, even hung a different wifi router off the Q modem, but still I am being harrangued.

Has anyone else had this problem and/or know what I might do to fix it? Thsi was not always the case so I am wondering if there has been a software update or something that mighthave affected those devices?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
      Ian.

2. Advertisement
      lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tb + minis
      Thanks

Re: Sky Q & Apple devices - poor connectivity.

As its fine with your Android devices, I would suggest this.
      Do the 'forget this network' on the Apple devices, power them down, restart and add back the sky wifi.
      May be a good idea too to make sure you are in the same room as the sky hub, when adding it back, but not really essential.

This sounds like the mesh may be having an effect on the Apple devices (from the previous non mesh network add), have seen this before on Sky Q and also with the Google wifi mesh system.

I run a mixture of devices Apple, Android and Microsoft PC/tablets and do not have any problems with the ER110 hub in its mesh configured state with a sky q box and mini.
      In fact the mesh does add a good extra percentage of speed/bandwidth distribution around the house.
      Even though I have never really had any problems over the years with wifi distribution and little or no black spots.

James_Mitchell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCEAR
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

You could try splitting the 5Ghz & 2.4GHz WiFi networks. That what I do here, though I only have the Q router and not the Sky Q TV boxes so I've no idea what impact that could have on your Q TV box connectivity?

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tb + minis
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by James_Mitchell View Post
      You could try splitting the 5Ghz & 2.4GHz WiFi networks. That what I do here, though I only have the Q router and not the Sky Q TV boxes so I've no idea what impact that could have on your Q TV box connectivity?
      That is not recommended with a Sky Q TV and Sky fibre broadband mix.

MrTazz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I had problems on my iphone with the WiFi dropping and what I did was reset network settings on my iphone and it did the trick!! So maybe an option to try

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

simon194 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDHAS
      Router: Sky Q Hub with Billion 8800NL in bridge mode
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by James_Mitchell View Post
      I've split the SSID and have Sky Q and it has made no difference to the connectivity to either of my mini boxes. I get more problems from other people's BT Home Hub 6's interfering with connectivity.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,642 Times in 1,603 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by simon194 View Post
      I've split the SSID and have Sky Q and it has made no difference to the connectivity to either of my mini boxes. I get more problems from other people's BT Home Hub 6's interfering with connectivity.
      If you are getting interference then you should change the channel on the router. It may also help with the iPhone problem. Auto works well for some people but is hopeless with others. Use the wifi analyser to find the best channel. Channel 13 is often a good bet as it is seldom recommended, except by me.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.