Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

Q hdr

This is a discussion on Q hdr within the Sky Q forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; With, it seems, no plans for Q to broadcast in HDR at any time in the near future, a couple ...

wonnyjilkinson is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: North of Watford
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Q hdr

With, it seems, no plans for Q to broadcast in HDR at any time in the near future, a couple of questions:- firstly, will it make much difference if and when it does? In advance though, would an HDR capable 4K tv make much difference now, and then if and when HDR on Q comes on stream?

I am toying with the idea of upgrading my garden variety 4K tv to one that has HDR built in and wondered if it was worth it, both now and in the future.

2. Advertisement
      Witchypoo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01282
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sky Q
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Re: Q hdr

I have a LG OLED and have seen the difference between the Blu-Ray of Lucy and the HDR version and there is a considerable difference which is very marked with a much richer palette of colour. I seen other films with HDR and I am glad I have the option. I would recommend checking it out in your nearest TV Dealer and see for yourself.

NUFC1000 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Everyday Lite
      Router:
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I have watched The Grand Tour on Amazon Prime with/out HDR and would agree, there is a vast improvement in the colours when using HDR.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,202 Times in 2,072 Posts

There are a few people still squabbling over a suitable broadcast standard for HDR content. When this is finally resolved, I'm sure that they'll then make suitable preparations for broadcasting suitable content and also making content available via Sky's CUTV service.

As for whether HDR is better than non-HDR, yes it can be. It is still possible to mess with your TV's settings and mess them all up.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

simon194 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDHAS
      Router: Sky Q Hub with Billion 8800NL in bridge mode
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      There are a few people still squabbling over a suitable broadcast standard for HDR content. When this is finally resolved, I'm sure that they'll then make suitable preparations for broadcasting suitable content and also making content available via Sky's CUTV service.

As for whether HDR is better than non-HDR, yes it can be. It is still possible to mess with your TV's settings and mess them all up.
      The question over what HDR format will be used for broadcast HDR was finally answered when HLG was written into the final ratified version of UHD 1 - Phase 2 in November last year.

It's why there was a sudden rush to get HLG firmware updates out the TV's.
      Scubbie likes this.

Thanks

I guess that Sky will need to seek out some space on one of the Satellites then

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Exchange:
      Router:
      Thanks

I guess that Sky will need to seek out some space on one of the Satellites then
      Don't forget their plans to deliver programmes over broadband.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NUFC1000 View Post
      Don't forget their plans to deliver programmes over broadband.
      Technically that is already available for Sky's channels. It'll be down to any other provider to make 4K UHD content/channels available in the first place.

Currently Sky Q customers who want to view 4K UHD content have to download it in the first place. The difference would be that we are talking about streaming 4K UHD content at some later date too.

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tb + minis
      Thanks

Not aware of any plans for a launch this year from any broadcaster in the UK for dedicated 4k/uhd channels.
      Sky will continue to stream live 4k/uhd as they are doing now and offer more 4k/uhd via download for sky store/on demand/catchup as they are doing now.

HDR is being tested and has been for sometime in UK, but the UK backbone needs to be upgraded further to handle it, before it will launch and most users will fall short for the capability to
      handle it with the reliability and quality that brodcasters like Sky, BT and Virgin would like to be offering.
      Ignore any HDR from some of the OTT services like Amazon and Netflix, as that is different in the way it is distributed. UK broadcasting live or within a UK TV broadcasting format is very different.

The iptv non satellite box will not offer anything different than the current sky q boxes do at launch (except its non satellite delivery) and the Italian and some other European countries will be first to see that.
      Do not expect to see that in the UK this year, as stated in their results press release from last week;
      We will launch Sky without a satellite dish, with all its channels and on demand content streamed over IP. This is a major development for Sky that will open up headroom in existing markets, improve our cost to serve for some customer segments, and offer a future way to take Sky into new markets. We’ll launch first in Italy before taking it to Austria and ultimately deploying across all our key markets.
      Also well worth a read of this article on Sky and dishless and how it differs across Europe for customers etc.
      http://www.a516digital.com/2018/01/w...here-just.html
      Last edited by lettice; 30-01-18 at 10:05 AM.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Thanks

Technically that is already available for Sky's channels. It'll be down to any other provider to make 4K UHD content/channels available in the first place.

Currently Sky Q customers who want to view 4K UHD content have to download it in the first place. The difference would be that we are talking about streaming 4K UHD content at some later date too.
      I appreciate those aspects are already in place, however Sky will look at more live streaming especially for sporting events and speeds will determine the quality for viewers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast