Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Temporary move to rented then back home?

This is a discussion on Temporary move to rented then back home? within the Sky Q forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; We're having major works done to our house and having put up with the mess and disruption for 2 months ...

Claremac is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01737
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Temporary move to rented then back home?

We're having major works done to our house and having put up with the mess and disruption for 2 months the insurance company are now saying at last that we need to move out. All work has now stopped and we will be moving into temporary accommodation, which we have yet to find, in mid-January. I had a good deal for Sky Q last year which was 79 for all TV including movies and sports, phone and fibre broadband. It lapsed in September but I haven't done anything as I believed that we would have to move out and so we now are. Currently being charged 138.99.

I have just rung Sky and they have offered me the 50% offer which would make it 92 for the same as above. As I understand it from other forums etc that's about as good as it gets at the moment but it would be for an 18-month contract. Obviously I don't want to do that as we will be out of the house for probably 3-4 months at least and with no guarantee that we could move the Sky Q to the temporary accommodation. I asked how much for a rolling monthly contract but it would be the full 138.99. Sky suggested that if that was the case we could downgrade to the basic TV package for that time but it would still mean paying 60 for nothing although I didn't ask if we could cut off the phone and broadband but I assume that the cost of re-installation wouldn't make it worthwhile. Plus we'd probably be paying for Now TV during that time as we love our sport.

The other option is to give notice and let it actually run out. Use Now TV while we're away then come back as a new customer when we come back. This would mean losing all our recordings on our 2TB box though which we don't want to do.

I would appreciate any suggestions as to the best way around this. Thanks.

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Temporary move to rented then back home?

With 3 or 4 months away I expect you will need telephone and broadband at your temporary address especially if you will be using Now TV. Have you spoken to the moving homes team?

Claremac is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01737
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Temporary move to rented then back home?

No, I haven't yet as I'm waiting on the loss adjuster for an exact date and how much rent they'll pay for so it's all a bit vague still. I guess the moving team will be my next port of call. It's all a bit of a mess (literally as well as figuratively!) at the moment.