Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By The Realist

Mini Q Boxes - What am I missing?

This is a discussion on Mini Q Boxes - What am I missing? within the Sky Q forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi, I'm interested in Sky Q with upto 4 mini boxes. But what is putting me off is I don't ...

nheather is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Carfax, Horsham (SDHRSHM)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Q Hub - No idea whether it is an ER110 or ER115
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Mini Q Boxes - What am I missing?

Hi,

I'm interested in Sky Q with upto 4 mini boxes.

But what is putting me off is I don't like that

(a) as a loyal customer I'm having to pay full price. They argue that I would have had a deal when I first took out sky but that's not the case. I've been with Sky for around 20 years and there were no deals back then you paid full wack. I remember being one of the first to get a SkyHD box and I recall it was about 300

(b) I don't like the cost model of the minis - that they claim it is just for installation, and the box remains theirs but if I if I install myself I still have to pay full price and if it develops a fault after the first year it is my problem to resolve even though allegedly the box isn't mine.

So thought I'd have a look on eBay to see if I can pick up some cheaper but I was surprised by the prices.

There are plenty selling close to the Sky price (a 10 saving doesn't seem worth it) but there are plenty actually selling for more than what Sky charge.

So what am I missing - why are people paying more for a used model than what Sky charge for a new one.

Cheers,

Nigel

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Mini Q Boxes - What am I missing?

why are people paying more for a used model than what Sky charge for a new one.
      Ignorance?

As these belong to Sky its illegal to sell them. I would think as you are renting it, if anything goes wrong after a year, Sky would have to replace it foc.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

The Realist is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Anything
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre 100GB Trial Gold X
      Router: Sky Q Hub Mk7 Trial Gold
      Sky TV: SkyQ/Motorised
      Thanks

Re: Mini Q Boxes - What am I missing?

Think of it this way.

Someone buys a Q box or mini on Ebay and calls Sky to have it added on their account.

1) They have paid for a stolen product its owned by Sky end of.

Sky ask for the box NDS number and from that they know who the original buyer was so...

2) The buyer of the stolen box is up the creek without a paddle for receiving stolen goods, the original buyer/seller is also up the creek for selling goods not owned by them.

So the new buyer looses the money paid to the thief who has sold stolen goods, the buyer cannot get the boxes added to their account as they are owned by Sky and Sky will have the details of the buyer for the police report and they now know the seller and that's another police report.

Original seller gets a nice letter, the buyer of the stolen goods also gets a letter and all for what TV.

People will try to get blood out of stone at any cost these days, crazy.
      bubblegun likes this.
      Disclaimer: The views expressed here are my own and in no way represent the views or policies of my employer.