Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

Upgrade to sky Q

This is a discussion on Upgrade to sky Q within the Sky Q forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Can someone help me, I would like to upgrade to the Sky Q on eBay and would like to know ...

Appolo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 023
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Post Upgrade to sky Q

Can someone help me, I would like to upgrade to the Sky Q on eBay and would like to know how easy to install it myself without an engineer and a 18 month contract to sky.

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Upgrade to sky Q

Hello Appolo and welcome to the Sky user forums.

As far as I am aware the LNB required for Sky Q is only available from Sky or their approved installers, though I am sure this will change as Sky Q becomes more common. The other problem is that Sky Q boxes are hired not sold so that if you buy one on Ebay you are effectively acquiring stolen property.
      Scubbie likes this.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,185 Times in 2,059 Posts

I can confirm what seawright has stated in respect that buying a Q TV box off eBay is a bad decision. Don't do it.

Your Sky+ HD viewing card won't work. You'll need to get one designed for the Q TV box.

Once the original owner cancels, you'll need to call Sky to get everything enabled and they'll simply sell you a whole new system.

Sky have notified eBay in the past and various Q TV boxes have had to be taken down.

As for the original owners, Sky do request the kit back. If it is not returned within a specified time-frame, then they are billed. However they are still required to return the kit. As Sky will know the serial numbers, they will simply disable it, rendering it useless for any other person yet again.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Appolo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 023
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      Hello Appolo and welcome to the Sky user forums.

As far as I am aware the LNB required for Sky Q is only available from Sky or their approved installers, though I am sure this will change as Sky Q becomes more common. The other problem is that Sky Q boxes are hired not sold so that if you buy one on Ebay you are effectively acquiring stolen property.
      Thank you for that I thought that they were hired from Sky. So I would need a new LNB unit to go Sky Q. I shall have to look in to this a bit more thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you Scubbie

It looks like that there no way round bar going to Sky and having an 18 month contract.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,638 Times in 1,599 Posts

There are Sky Hybrid LNBs available on Amazon and elsewhere-
      https://www.amazon.co.uk/SKY-Q-EL020...76MDM1DJMXDQJN

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tb + minis
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      There are Sky Hybrid LNBs available on Amazon and elsewhere-
      https://www.amazon.co.uk/SKY-Q-EL020...76MDM1DJMXDQJN
      That link is for a standard LNB that is supplied by Sky and will only work with a Sky Q setup.
      The Sky Q hybrid lnb, known as the Sky MK4 Hybrid 6 Way LNB is the one that allows Sky Q and legacy satellite to a freesat box. They are available by request to an engineer. But be aware they will not always offer to fit one. You now have to prove you have a working freesat box at install.

The LNB and dish remains the property of the customer, so you can do with that as you like.
      It is only the sky q main boxes, minis and hub that are property of Sky and need to be returned at end of contract.

By the way, Sky are allowing you take Sky Q for 12 months again rather than the online mentioned 18 months, but you need to phone them.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,638 Times in 1,599 Posts

That link is for a standard LNB that is supplied by Sky and will only work with a Sky Q setup.
      Amazon also stock the 6 way Hybrid

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/75555641...CMX23Q71PGV5FN

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

eSSeMM36 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Sky TV: Sky Q
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Your Sky+ HD viewing card won't work. You'll need to get one designed for the Q TV box.
      A newish viewing card works fine after being initialized on the Q box and you can pick up a SKY hybrid LNB on ebay for 15 ... if you are quick ;-)

I don't believe there is any way that SKY can disable hardware remotely but they could disable your viewing card if they wanted to be vindictive. If you avoid using the Q app I don't think that there is any way that SKY can tie your account into a particular SKY Q box.

:-)

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,185 Times in 2,059 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eSSeMM36 View Post
      A newish viewing card works fine after being initialized on the Q box and you can pick up a SKY hybrid LNB on ebay for 15 ... if you are quick ;-)

I don't believe there is any way that SKY can disable hardware remotely but they could disable your viewing card if they wanted to be vindictive. If you avoid using the Q app I don't think that there is any way that SKY can tie your account into a particular SKY Q box.

:-)
      Sorry but the information I have, from Sky, is that they do track the specific boxes that different people have and can and do disable them.

As for the cards, yes the latest cards will work with Sky Q, but anyone who already has Sky+ HD will have an older card. Any new customers are being sold Sky Q with specific exceptions where Sky Q can't be installed.

This isn't "vindictive". This is purely business.

Customers with Sky+ HD own their STBs and can keep them once any contract is over.

Customer with Sky Q rent their STBs and are required to return them once the contract is over.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

reddwarfcrew is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Is the Sky Q Hub still loaned or are these yours to sell..... still want one but don't want to pay Sky 60+ for one and there's plenty on ebay.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast