Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Watchdog wed 21st

This is a discussion on Watchdog wed 21st within the Sky Q forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; The main difference however, is we can only speak as we find whereas Watchdog reported one side of a debate ...

wonnyjilkinson is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: North of Watford
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Re: Watchdog wed 21st

The main difference however, is we can only speak as we find whereas Watchdog reported one side of a debate only which is nothing short of sloppy, lazy and sensationalistic journalism.

2. Advertisement
      Kemp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woburn
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2 (↓78mb ↑25mb)
      Router: BT Smarthub
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB +Mini
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wonnyjilkinson View Post
      The main difference however, is we can only speak as we find whereas Watchdog reported one side of a debate only which is nothing short of sloppy, lazy and sensationalistic journalism.
      The two best selling newspapers in this country are The Sun and The Mail. Do the maths. As long as there are gullible idiots willing to pay for it, sloppy, lazy and sensationalistic journalism sells.

Thanks

Clearly, people read those papers. We are however, talking about the BBC who's journalistic standards are supposed to be a leader in their field and certainly beyond their standards, no maths needed.
      Last edited by wonnyjilkinson; 29-12-16 at 07:25 AM.

Thanks

Are you really that naive? The BBC are little to no better than the rest of them. But regardless, like it or not, Sky-Q has issues and focussing on a one-sided program won't solve them. Yes, the episode could have been balanced and talked about customers like you and myself that have relatively few problems but that isn't how Watchdog works. Its remit is problems, hence the name. Not to mention the fact it was based on a rival broadcaster.

marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 20.7.a*
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

I was somewhat dubious about switching to 'Q' but once I had set it the way I wanted it, not the way the engineer left it, it's been rock solid. We have had a couple of odd moments where the picture on playback has frozen, a quick jump forward has fixed that, and likely it was down to a poor signal during heavy rain. All in all, I am quite pleased with 'Q'. Even my better half admits she would not want to go back to the HD box now, something I thought I'd never hear.
      --------------------------------------------------------
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.
      --------------------------------------------------------

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

All media organisations are biased. You have to learn to read between the lines in order to accurately gauge what the truth might be.

With regards to Sky Q, it appears that there are some struggles going on, which is not pleasant for anyone. Having met some key people who have been involved with the development of Q, I know that they'll take it to heart and will have been working very hard to get things resolved.

Staffing levels for the engineers is something that Sky will now need to address. Of course this issue isn't that easy as everyone needs to be trained up and Sky no longer contracts out this work.

There have been a few updates to enable new features over the past year. At the same time there have been a variety of fixes made to the firmware too.

The nature of the connection faults appears to be quite common. What I found upsetting is that the customer in the Watchdog report suggested that it takes 30-40 minutes to reset everything. I didn't think that was the case, so something is not right there. I don't have Sky Q to verify this.

One thing though which should be understood is the overall reliability of the product range. If it were that bad, Sky would not have moved forward to sell new customers Sky Q over Sky+ HD so fast. They are a very conservative company and don't like anything which is dangerous.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Superfast + Boost
      Router: Sky Broadband Hub SR203
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tbV2+mini
      Thanks

Sky Q has been faultless here too, not one glitch at all. Everyone here loves it.
      Spoke with all my neighbours just before Christmas and they have all had no problems at all with Sky Q.
      The mini and Sky Q box takes less than 5 mins to restore from a power recycle and its immediate from standby or eco mode. A big improvement on Sky+HD.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to lettice For This Useful Post:

Scubbie (29-12-16)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      The nature of the connection faults appears to be quite common. What I found upsetting is that the customer in the Watchdog report suggested that it takes 30-40 minutes to reset everything. I didn't think that was the case, so something is not right there. I don't have Sky Q to verify this.
      It's complete rubbish, on the couple of occasions I've had to reset it's taken no more than 10 minutes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kemp View Post
      Are you really that naive?
      No, just aware of what I am talking about. You too could review their required impartiality standards and decide for yourself as you have admitted, that their opinion was skewed. Having a go doesn't exactly help your position.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wonnyjilkinson View Post
      No, just aware of what I am talking about. You too could review their required impartiality standards and decide for yourself as you have admitted, that their opinion was skewed. Having a go doesn't exactly help your position.
      I'm fully aware of the standards they're meant to uphold, thanks. They're standards they haven't met for years. A purely impartial broadcaster in this day and age would last five minutes, even if they were funded via a glorified tax. Still, it's nice to imagine such a thing could exist.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast