Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

Disappointments with Sky Q so far.

This is a discussion on Disappointments with Sky Q so far. within the Sky Q forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I came from a 2tb SkyHD box and signed up to Sky Q around 3 months back. I got the ...

Kemp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woburn
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2 (↓78mb ↑25mb)
      Router: BT Smarthub
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB +Mini
      Thanks

Disappointments with Sky Q so far.

I came from a 2tb SkyHD box and signed up to Sky Q around 3 months back. I got the silver 2tb main unit and an additional mini box for our bedroom upstairs. Contrary to what I read some people say, we have had no issues whatsoever with connectivity, with the mini box working perfectly from day one.

However, I do have some serious reservations. Firstly, the obvious one, which I'm sure many on here have already talked about. The lack of a single button to go straight to the TV Guide. A serious oversight by Sky. At the very least there should be an option to change where the Home button goes to rather than My Q, a selection which I've yet to use once in nearly 3 months. How difficult would it be to allow the user to set it to go to TV Guide instead? And sure, it's only a few up presses to the guide, but it's annoying all the same.

And talking about the remotes, I'd go so far as saying the Sky Q remote control is a big step back in general. The old remote allowed for far more control, both of the Sky box and the TV. The Sky Q remote allows you to turn the TV on and off and change the source. And that's it as far as I can see. On the old remote there were shotcuts for most TV features, to the point where I rarely needed my TV remote control. And the touch control remote is terrible, to the point where I've long stopped using it. It's far too easy to brush it by accident and set when you're watching to rewind, fast forward or pause. Even the non-touch ones are less than impressive. If it weren't for Sky deliberately preventing the old traditional remotes from working with Sky Q, I wouldn't be using them.

Secondly, the UI. Someone can feel free to correct me here, but in the planner I can see no way of separating the recordings into categories/genres. On the old Sky UI, in the planner, you had tabs along the top for films, kids TV programs, documentaries etc. On Sky Q I can see no way of doing this. You go into recordings and you have a load of thumbnails on the right in the order they have been recorded. Sure, you can bring up an A-Z list but the whole experience seems to be far more limited than the traditional UI. I thought this was meant to be a step forward? I'm not someone averse to change, but surely it should be for the better? I'd also like an option to have a list, starting with the most recent recordings, rather than the thumbnails. In terms of a list, the A-Z I mentioned above seems to be the only option.

I've no doubt Sky intend to improve the UI slowly and eventually, it will be as good as what came before it. But some of what I've talked about above is so obvious I don't understand why it isn't there in the first place. At the moment, whilst it looks nice and shiny, it's nowhere near as intuitive experience for me and if it weren't for the fact I got a fantastic deal, and now get full Sky in my bedroom (the old multi-room wasn't anywhere near as good), I'd probably have canceled within the 30 days and gone back to my old 2TB box.

If I'm complaining about something above that can easily be remedied with a few button presses, please let me know.

2. Advertisement
      The Realist is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Anything
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre 100GB Trial Gold X
      Router: Sky Q Hub Mk7 Trial Gold
      Sky TV: SkyQ/Motorised
      Thanks

Re: Disappointments with Sky Q so far.

The majority of your issues are being resolved and all I can say is watch this space in a few weeks time.
      Disclaimer: The views expressed here are my own and in no way represent the views or policies of my employer.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to The Realist For This Useful Post:

mikelane (06-12-16)

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tb + minis
      Thanks

On the TV guide, I think most have been saying the same.
      We do like the top picks and continue areas and use them a lot.
      Our own My Q>For You section has not populated yet, so not able to comment on that.
      We are now liking the remote, it took a little training, but would now not want to go back. Real shame you have to use the standard one for the mini, be great to use a touch remote with the too.

On Sky+hd, never used the genres for any section tabs at all myself, so one long All list works.
      Do much prefer the thumbnails too, quick and easy to see and scan for content.

I'm sure there are plenty of UI changes coming soon and plenty from all the customer feedback.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lettice View Post
      On the TV guide, I think most have been saying the same.
      We do like the top picks and continue areas and use them a lot.
      Our own My Q>For You section has not populated yet, so not able to comment on that.
      We are now liking the remote, it took a little training, but would now not want to go back. Real shame you have to use the standard one for the mini, be great to use a touch remote with the too.

On Sky+hd, never used the genres for any section tabs at all myself, so one long All list works.
      Do much prefer the thumbnails too, quick and easy to see and scan for content.

I'm sure there are plenty of UI changes coming soon and plenty from all the customer feedback.
      I appreciate it's horses for courses, but I really can't understand how anyone can think the remotes are an improvement, especially the touch remote which is entirely too sensitive and far too fiddly. Not used it for a few months now.

I always used the genre sections, I have a 3 and an 8 year old so being able to exclude what they have recorded (which in the case of my 8 year old is most of what's on there) is very helpful, I'm really hoping it's put back in an upcoming upgrade, along with other methods of viewing the recorded content.

I also like the thumbnails, it would simply be nice for an option to change it to a plain list which would be better in some circumstances. I'm not suggesting it should be a list and do away with the thumbnails. Sky aren't Apple, they should offer their customers choice on how they want the UI to look.

mike44 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: norwich
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Netgear D6200
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Kemp -- I could not agree with you more about the touch remote with Sky Q. It is ergonomically dreadful and far too sensitive and after a couple of months using it, the damn thing had to go or I would have lost all my hair. I much preferred the remote on my Sky + box which fitted my hand beautifully. I ordered another remote like the one that went with the mini box, it is far from perfect in design but definitely an improvement on the Bluetooth one.
      Kemp likes this.

Thanks

I'm surprised some company hasn't come up with a retro Sky remote that works with Sky Q. I'd buy one in a shot, especially if like the originals they could control most of the features on my TVs. Perhaps it's something that will appear in the future as more and more people switch over to Q. There has to be a lot of other people out there that share mine and mike44's opinion on the dreadful updated remotes.

On a side note I was speaking to someone who claimed he works for Sky a few months back, and he said a particular executive was a big fan of the new remote designs and pushed them through, despite plenty of staff having reservations. I can't vouch for the accuracy of that of course but I wouldn't be surprised.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kemp View Post
      I'm surprised some company hasn't come up with a retro Sky remote that works with Sky Q.
      Many people like the range of Harmony remotes, probably the best universal remotes on the market and the range of them all work well with Sky Q.
      Logitech Harmony Remotes, Universal Home Theater Automation Remotes & Hubs

Not exactly what you may need, but an offering from Sky is the Sky Q Accessibility remote;
      The Sky Q accessible remote control has all the features of the regular Sky Q remote control, but it's designed specifically for people with reduced dexterity, and for blind and partially sighted people. The Sky Q accessible remote has the following features:
      • Textured easy grip design.
      • Raised contour buttons with additional tactile points.
      • Larger and bolder button graphics.
      • High visibility buttons.

https://accessibility.sky.com/sky-tv...essible-remote

marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 19.7.b
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kemp View Post
      I'm surprised some company hasn't come up with a retro Sky remote that works with Sky Q. I'd buy one in a shot, especially if like the originals they could control most of the features on my TVs. Perhaps it's something that will appear in the future as more and more people switch over to Q. There has to be a lot of other people out there that share mine and mike44's opinion on the dreadful updated remotes.
      My wife hates it, I'm not convinced either. Our touch remote has been consigned to the junk drawer in the lamp table, fortunately our 'Q' came with both remotes. The other issue is remote for the mini, most mini's are in bedrooms I suspect and it's far too easy to lose the remote in the duvet, something that never happened with the old remote.

We await with baited breath the new firmware allegedly due in Q1 which gives us control of where we want to land when pressing the home/Sky button.

Anyway, another vote here for the return of the Sky classic remote, and yes I know there is the Accessibility remote, but I am not disabled nor is my wife apart from between the ears. ( s'ok, she does not read this forum ) .
      Last edited by marjohn56; 07-12-16 at 10:33 AM.
      --------------------------------------------------------
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marjohn56 View Post
      The other issue is remote for the mini, most mini's are in bedrooms I suspect and it's far too easy to lost the remote in the duvet, something that never happened with the old remote.
      We used to often find the old sky+hd remote half way across the bedroom floor in the morning. It was very robust.
      The feeling you get of the standard remote does not give me that confidence of robustness, so we are tending to place it carefully at the moment. I know that will not last.
      Both remotes could do with the old rubberised back too, they are quite slippery in some peoples hands I see.

You can buy extra remotes and covers;
      https://accessories.sky.com/catalogue/skyq/all

marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 19.7.b
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lettice View Post
      We used to often find the old sky+hd remote half way across the bedroom floor in the morning. It was very robust.
      The feeling you get of the standard remote does not give me that confidence of robustness, so we are tending to place it carefully at the moment. I know that will not last.
      Both remotes could do with the old rubberised back too, they are quite slippery in some peoples hands I see.

When they designed the original remote it would seem a LOT of thought went into it, it became iconic. The 'Q' remote appears to be a generic remote with little or no thought as to how it feels and longevity. Oh, yeah forgot, it's got a touch pad... jury is still out on that one.
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast