Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Sky Q - How many cables from dish

This is a discussion on Sky Q - How many cables from dish within the Sky Q forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Mmmm, "All Sky Q kit is loaned to you at no cost " "We'll lend you one Sky Q Mini ...

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky Q - How many cables from dish

Mmmm,

"All Sky Q kit is loaned to you at no cost "

"We'll lend you one Sky Q Mini per extra TV, at no cost"

But it would seem there is a cost ?

2. Advertisement
      reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Realist View Post
      Show me where it says free.
      two screen grabs

Sky Q - How many cables from dish-no-charge-2.jpgSky Q - How many cables from dish-no-charge-1.jpg

Clearly they claim the kit to be free. Total lies, they should be done for this. I've always been a supported of sky, but this is not impressive.

It clearly states equipment cost is 0! It also states they will give you one minibox per TV at no cost! This really infuriates me. On principal I won't go SkyQ. Their Fibre is great, the TV is taking the mickey out of us all now. They loan the kit, they don't charge you for it... but wait they do!

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tb + minis
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reddwarfcrew View Post
      two screen grabs

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	no charge 2.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	10.1 KB 
ID:	6279Click image for larger version. 

Name:	no charge 1.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	6.3 KB 
ID:	6280

Clearly they claim the kit to be free. Total lies, they should be done for this. I've always been a supported of sky, but this is not impressive.

It clearly states equipment cost is 0! It also states they will give you one minibox per TV at no cost! This really infuriates me. On principal I won't go SkyQ. Their Fibre is great, the TV is taking the mickey out of us all now. They loan the kit, they don't charge you for it... but wait they do!
      If I add a mini to a sky 1tb box its 30 as a current sky customer and 15 for installation.
      For the 2tb box its 60 installation and 30 for the mini.
      The 30 is an offer (like the 0 for new customers), as its normally 99 per mini (If you were an early sky q customer you also got the 99 first mini cost refunded). This is not paying for the mini, its is a multiscreen viewing payment per each mini. Much like you would be paying a fee for multiscreen on sky+hd.

You need to see this charge not only as a multiscreen fee but as a ilicense (for broadcasting houses and film distributing companies) but also allowing other services you may want to be available on your mini like bt sport, foreign channel packages and third party sports content when used for multiscreen.

Sky Q - How many cables from dish-skyminifee-571-x-562-.jpg

The only thing is though, if you are not a multiscreen customer, you are paying for some sort of it now to have sky on a second tv. As for sky+hd, you could use the rf out method and this is not available easily now.
      But then with sky q, you really are getting a much better second tv sky service than watching via rf and watching your sky box downstairs.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marjohn56 View Post
      Just ordered Sky Q 1Tb, it's only costing me 7 a month extra, that's with one mini. 45 one off installation.
      Have you had this installed yet, just wondered what you thought.
      You only got it for 7 extra a month, that was good or did you change other packages at the time?
      Suppose you will not be using the sky q hub, as I know you use your own router. But once powerline is enabled it will make the mesh idea work so much better. Eve n though from all my neighbours that I have tweaked or set up for sky q on their home networks it works very well.
      I'm enjoying the sky q hub as a router, but no sky q as yet to try. Am considering now, as its looking like sky+hd for updates going on is on its way out.
      Also, would be nice to have the piece of mind of sky just coming and repairing your boxes as and when.
      Last edited by lettice; 22-10-16 at 11:56 AM.

Thanks

Addition to what I said above, have just ordered Sky Q, went for the sky q 2tb box. The one off cost was only 45 more for the 2tb.
      Be honest, the current deal is a no brainer, that 12 a month gives you multiscreen everywhere and you now have a box that can be repaired easily.
      As I had a hub, no need for them to send one, so a credit on the account for that.

Got through to sky straight away and as always they were so friendly to deal with.
      Roll on mid November, bye bye sky+, you have been great.

We were not really interested in 4k, but we have been thinking about getting a bigger tv as well so will just buy a new one 'black friday' deal and get the benefit.
      Last edited by lettice; 22-10-16 at 12:35 PM.
      seawright likes this.

seawright is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lettice View Post
      Addition to what I said above, have just ordered Sky Q, went for the sky q 2tb box. The one off cost was only 45 more for the 2tb.
      Will your Slingbox work the same with SkyQ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      Will your Slingbox work the same with SkyQ?
      Yes, it does via hdmi splitter or via av out from a mini.
      But with sky q we will have enough extra slots for devices now, with the new sky q app on phones or tablets makes it pretty much redundant.
      But be nice to play with and its the best way to use for the PC in my view, so may need someone to rewrite the PC remote control prog to work with sky q, hint hint!

marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 19.7.b
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

Have you had this installed yet, just wondered what you thought.
      You only got it for 7 extra a month, that was good or did you change other packages at the time?
      Suppose you will not be using the sky q hub, as I know you use your own router. But once powerline is enabled it will make the mesh idea work so much better. Eve n though from all my neighbours that I have tweaked or set up for sky q on their home networks it works very well.
      I'm enjoying the sky q hub as a router, but no sky q as yet to try. Am considering now, as its looking like sky+hd for updates going on is on its way out.
      Also, would be nice to have the piece of mind of sky just coming and repairing your boxes as and when.

Nov 12th is my install date and the reason it was only 7 was that I have sky go extra. I'll be keeping my own router and just using my existing powerline. I now have yet another router still in its box! I might install it for the engineers visit but it will get removed after.

Still unsure I have done the right thing, I have a feeling SWMBO is not going to get on with the Q interface, plus I'm reading about stability issues on other forums.
      --------------------------------------------------------
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marjohn56 View Post
      Nov 12th is my install date and the reason it was only 7 was that I have sky go extra. I'll be keeping my own router and just using my existing powerline. I now have yet another router still in its box! I might install it for the engineers visit but it will get removed after.

Still unsure I have done the right thing, I have a feeling SWMBO is not going to get on with the Q interface, plus I'm reading about stability issues on other forums.
      Our install is the 14th. OH is counting the days, she is more excited than me I caught her on youtube last night going through all the help and unboxing videos.
      The trouble is with sky q and a lot of user problems, its tied to the network so much more and I've noticed many are connecting it up in very adhoc way.
      Its their thinking ethernet is always better, but so many amateur home networks are a mess through combination of secondary routers, apple airport kit, switches, boosters.
      The wifi the hub and sky q boxes create is good and works very well for most if not all I have found.
      Real shame sky have not got its own powerline up and running yet, that will be a big improvement for all.
      The mesh really is helping the general browsing around the house too from what I have noticed.

Have not been sure why the sky engineers put in these boosters as the installs I have found they were not needed most of the time. Maybe a quick fix on time to not just do a deeper check.

Another thing I'm seeing is people ditching the bluetooth remote and using the basic one and many are buying logitech harmony remotes. Noticed instore in currrys the logitech remotes had a hand written label that said they were compatible with sky q.
      It seems to be quite a learning curve for many with the bluetooth remote and I found it to be not the most comfortable to use.
      When voice control arrives, they may come back out again.

As a sky beta tester myself across their products, sky q being a little flaky is not an issue for me. It is ahead of much out there in the world apart form perhaps the dish network boxes but I love playing and breaking things To be honest the tech world today works as beta, best ploy in my view.

Just created a spreadsheet of what we will lose form the drive and found out that its all still available from on demand or catchup with no expiry. So no worries.
      Copied down to pc the five or six one off or oddball recordings we had, a few from the bbc red button channels from 2012 olympics when the torch parade came to my area.
      Be a shame to lose the sky, 3d and bbc testcards that were always useful.

The good thing is with the new sky repair regime. I am not sure what they do with it, but one neighbour is on their third box, their first one died after a month, they were one of the first adopters, then the next died after a month and they just had the next replaced a few weeks ago. A pain for me as I have to go and tweak their network each time as they have to have some work kit hanging off their q hub and throws array the sky engineer mesh tests. But sky very quickly just turn up and sort them out with no quibbles or cost.
      Last edited by lettice; 23-10-16 at 11:12 AM.

marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 19.7.b
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

Our install is the 14th. OH is counting the days, she is more excited than me I caught her on youtube last night going through all the help and unboxing videos.
      The trouble is with sky q and a lot of user problems, its tied to the network so much more and I've noticed many are connecting it up in very adhoc way.
      Its their thinking ethernet is always better, but so many amateur home networks are a mess through combination of secondary routers, apple kit, switches, boosters.
      The wifi the hub and sky q boxes create is good and works very well for most if not all I have found.
      Real shame sky have not got its own powerline up and running yet, that will be a big improvement for all.
      The mesh really is helping the general browsing around the house too from what I have noticed.
      As we both work from home there are certain network facilities that are essential, VPN being the most important and I don't think the new hub supports that.

Another thing I'm seeing is people ditching the bluetooth remote and using the basic one and many are buying logitech harmony remotes.
      It seems to be quite a learning curve for many with the bluetooth remote and I found it to be not the most comfortable to use.
      When voice control arrives, they may come back out again.
      The 1Tb Q does not come with the touch remote so that's not going to be an issue, my wife did try said remote at the Sky stand in Brent Cross SC and was not impressed; as for talking to the remote.... jury is still out on that one.

As a sky beta tester myself across their products, sky q being a little flaky is not an issue for me. It is ahead of much out there in the world apart form perhaps the dish network boxes but I love playing and breaking things To be honest the tech world today works as beta, best ploy in my view.
      You must have a very understanding OH. The attitude here I suspect would be why are we paying for something that does not work, and it's a valid point of view.

Just created a spreadsheet of what we will lose form the drive and found out that its all from on demand or catchup with no expiry. So no worries.
      Copied down to pc the five or six one off or oddball recordings we had, a few from the bbc red button channels from 2012 olympics when the torch parade came to my area.
      Be a shame to lose the sky, 3d and bbc testcards that were always useful.
      I am amazed and disappointed that some wizo at Sky has not sorted this out yet. AFAIK, there is a USB port on the HD box that allows the use of an external HD. That being the case, surely it's within the remit of Sky to add a function to the HD box to copy, with encryption, any material from the internal drive to the external one and then on the Q do the reverse, taking into account file formats etc. AS for the schedule, that should have been sorted years ago and Sky should be able to keep a record of the clients schedule and be able to upload it to a new or replacement box.

The good thing is with the new sky repair regime. I am not sure what they do with it, but one neighbour is on their third box, their first one died after a month, they were one of the first adopters, then the next died after a month and they just had the next replaced a few weeks ago. A pain for me as I have to go and tweak their network each time as they have to have some work kit hanging off their q hub and throws array the sky engineer mesh tests.
      And this is very alarming, three Q boxes in 9 months or less, this is one of my main concerns that the Q is still not ready for general release. I hope they are going to leave my old HD box too, if Q proves to be that unreliable I will be reverting back to the HD box until such time as they have resolved the issues.
      Last edited by marjohn56; 23-10-16 at 11:56 AM.
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast