Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Setup my own access point?

This is a discussion on Setup my own access point? within the Sky Q forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I have Sky Q hub, silver and 2 minis. standard wireless setup, with Sky fibre unlimited. I have an Asus ...

tmreynolds is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Q
      Thanks

Setup my own access point?

I have Sky Q hub, silver and 2 minis. standard wireless setup, with Sky fibre unlimited.

I have an Asus AC-68U Router spare and think my wireless range would be better using it.

How do I setup to use the Asus router? just attach to Sky hub via ethernet and use as an access point, and turn off wireless on hub? anything to do on minis etc?

thanks,

2. Advertisement
      bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Re: Setup my own access point?

Quote Originally Posted by tmreynolds View Post
      I have Sky Q hub, silver and 2 minis. standard wireless setup, with Sky fibre unlimited.

I have an Asus AC-68U Router spare and think my wireless range would be better using it.

How do I setup to use the Asus router? just attach to Sky hub via ethernet and use as an access point, and turn off wireless on hub? anything to do on minis etc?

thanks,
      You should probably disable DHCP on the Asus router or else you'll get double-NAT problems or IP conflicts so devices on each connection won't be able to talk to each other. Also make sure you connect using a LAN port on the Asus router (not sure if it has a WAN port?).
      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of Sky

tmreynolds is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Q
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bubblegun View Post
      You should probably disable DHCP on the Asus router or else you'll get double-NAT problems or IP conflicts so devices on each connection won't be able to talk to each other. Also make sure you connect using a LAN port on the Asus router (not sure if it has a WAN port?).
      Thanks. Will the minis still create a mesh network with my ASUS router in AP mode and wireless disabled on the Sky Q hub?

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tmreynolds View Post
      Thanks. Will the minis still create a mesh network with my ASUS router in AP mode and wireless disabled on the Sky Q hub?
      Probably not. Particularly if you have wi-fi disabled.
      I have a friend who had non-Sky broadband and Sky Q, who found his wi-fi was faster around the house with Sky Q switched on than it had been previously or with Sky Q switched off. Not sure how to explain this when it's not supposed to work that way.
      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of Sky