Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

My SkyQ Experience and interesting comment from installer

This is a discussion on My SkyQ Experience and interesting comment from installer within the Sky Q forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I finally took the plunge and had my SkyQ system installed last Friday 9th Sept, couple of interesting things the ...

Moxey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: SkyQ Hub ER110
      Sky TV: SkyQ 2TB + Mini
      Thanks

My SkyQ Experience and interesting comment from installer

I finally took the plunge and had my SkyQ system installed last Friday 9th Sept, couple of interesting things the installer said while here.
      Firstly he said there was a major new software update due the next week which should start rolling out somewhere around the 15th and secondly, when talking about Sky now paying to have the Sky+HD boxes back, he said the reason they want them back is because "they will be used as refurbs to service those customers still left on the Sky+HD system as soon they will stop allowing any new customers taking Sky+HD with SkyQ becoming their only available option" which i thought was very interesting.
      I know installers are not always the best source of reliable info so dont know if any truth in it but then if they are going to stop taking new customers for the Sky+HD system then i imagine they would stop making new HD boxes so his explanation of Sky wanting old ones back for stock to use for those who remain on the old system does sound feasible i guess.

Anyway really pleased I decided to go ahead and get Q, looks great and i really love the more episodes feature when watching series, my main worry was how well the mrs would take to it as she normally hates change but she seems to like it so thats a relief.
      I have always intended to use the system hard wired but had one of those typical installers that just looked at me and said "ooohhh naaah, nothing but trouble that, we will just set it all up on wi-fi" and even nearly had a fit saying "youre not supposed to login to the hub and change any settings as its Sky's equipment" when i said i would need to re enable the wps on the router then as i normally have the ssid hidden.
      From our chatting while he was doing the setup he kind of got the gist that im pretty clued up on it all and would just change the setup how i wanted myself after he had gone anyway, although actually i havent got round to changing it to wired yet and tbf it is working perfectly so far on wi-fi but i probably will still change it as with brand new cat6 cables sat behind the boxes that connect to my gigabit switch it seems silly not to use them really

Does look like im going to have to get them back out tho to swap the main box as the optical output isnt working properly, i dont seem to have much luck where surround sound is concerned as i had the exact same problem when i first got my Sky+HD 2TB box where with an optical cable going to my surround system and the output set to dolby digital i get sound output on all SD channels but there is no sound at all on any HD channel regardless of whether the broadcast is in surround or not, when they swapped my Sky+HD 2TB box for a dif one the surround then worked fine so hopefully i can get it sorted with my SkyQ box too.
      Also with regard to using a surround system, this is so far the only real area i see me having an issue with SkyQ at present, I dont use the surround system all the time as dont bother with any of the pro logic virtual type surround modes so only get surround output when the source is 5.1 and my mrs dont like the speakers on all the time so i only used to put the speakers on when watching a program that was in 5.1 which you could tell as the programs info would usually show the DD tag on it but it seems on SkyQ no program info shows any audio tags so theres no way to know if its in 5.1 without putting the speakers on to see then turn them off again if its not which will be a right pita but other than that im really happy with SkyQ and looking forward to the new software update to see what tweaks/improvements it may bring

2. Advertisement
      bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Re: My SkyQ Experience and interesting comment from installer

Quote Originally Posted by Moxey View Post
      I finally took the plunge and had my SkyQ system installed last Friday 9th Sept, couple of interesting things the installer said while here.
      Firstly he said there was a major new software update due the next week which should start rolling out somewhere around the 15th and secondly, when talking about Sky now paying to have the Sky+HD boxes back, he said the reason they want them back is because "they will be used as refurbs to service those customers still left on the Sky+HD system as soon they will stop allowing any new customers taking Sky+HD with SkyQ becoming their only available option" which i thought was very interesting.
      I know installers are not always the best source of reliable info so dont know if any truth in it but then if they are going to stop taking new customers for the Sky+HD system then i imagine they would stop making new HD boxes so his explanation of Sky wanting old ones back for stock to use for those who remain on the old system does sound feasible i guess.
      New software is due on 15th September, that's true. As noted in another thread the Hub software has already been updated.
      Phone apps for android/iphone should become available on 15th September too.

Your engineer wasn't far wrong on the other stuff either.
      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of Sky