Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

New Sky Q Silver with Mini Box Installation Questions

This is a discussion on New Sky Q Silver with Mini Box Installation Questions within the Sky Q forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I recently had Sky Q Silver fitted along with a Sky Mini Box in a bedroom. The fit didnít go ...

rbwinstanley is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0161
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: BT Home Hub 5
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

New Sky Q Silver with Mini Box Installation Questions

I recently had Sky Q Silver fitted along with a Sky Mini Box in a bedroom. The fit didnít go to plan and took a few hours before the engineer left in the hope that the setup would be a stable one.

I have BT Infinity with a Home Hub 5. Most of my connections are wired Ė I had Ethernet running from the Home Hub directly to the Sky Q silver box and to the Mini Box in the bedroom (via a switch that split the signal to a 2nd router for improved wireless coverage).

The engineer found that when connected like this, no matter what he did the Mini Box would intermittently through up an error saying that it was not connected to the Silver requiring a reboot. After many calls he got a Sky Booster from his van and added it into my network. As far as I can tell, it grabs a Wifi signal from my Home Hub and then uses my existing Ethernet run to take that signal to the Bedroom, into the switch and from there into the Mini Box and Asus router. The Sky Booster has a Sky SSID (not my Home Hub), so I canít connect to the Wifi, or at least I do not know how to. This is slightly disappointing as the Wifi coverage from it is superior to either of my routers.

The engineer suggested that a single Ethernet run directly from the Silver Box to the Mini Box would eradicate the need for the Booster, so I purchased a 15m Ethernet cable. However, when I tried to connect using this method the Mini Box would not perform saying that there was no network connection.

To add to my issues, I have a new BT Smart Hub on the way tomorrow so as soon as that is installed the Sky Booster will no longer pick up the Wifi signal to distribute to the Mini Box.

I do not like the loss of control this setup has effected on my network and I also feel that a wired setup should work at least as well as any. I was and still am fully prepared to run Ethernet from the Silver box to the Mini Box if this should work. There could possibly have been some settings that needed tweaking, but I was worried that I would ďbreakĒ the existing setup that was working and not be able to reproduce it.

Any help would be appreciated, but I suppose my main questions are:

1. Should two separate wired connections from Smart Hub to both Sky Q Silver and Sky Mini Box work?
      2. Alternatively should a wired connection from Sky Q Silver to Sky Mini Box work once the Sky Q Silver is getting a strong Wifi signal?
      3. If necessary, how do I change the settings on the Sky Booster to accept my new Wifi SSID & password?
      4. Does the Sky Booster need to have a Sky SSID to work with the Mini Box or could it be changed to match my BT Infinity SSID? If not, can I connect to the Sky Boosterís Wifi and if so where will I find the password (the details under the unit do not work).

Thanks in advance and apologies for such a long post. I have a feeling that I may be calling Skyís support tomorrow, but Iíd rather understand things fully or at least better myself.

2. Advertisement
      lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tb + minis
      Thanks

Re: New Sky Q Silver with Mini Box Installation Questions

Sounds to me you are making this much more complicated than it needs to be.
      Where is your hub and sky q main (assume its the silver version) box located?

Do you get a a very poor wifi signal in your bedroom?
      If not, you may get a better and more reliable experience using only wifi with the mini, ethernet seems better but its been designed to will work very well with wifi, hense the sky/airties technology.

The sky q booster uses wps to connect with the sky q box (not your hub), that is how you will connect it.
      The sky q help will run through a few connection scenarios

Improve Sky Q Mini box viewing
      Find a power socket halfway between your Sky Q box and your Sky Q Mini box. Plug your Sky Q Booster directly into the socket (not an extension block as this reduces performance).
      Press and hold the WPS button on your Sky Q box for two seconds - the light will begin to flash amber. Within two minutes, press and hold WPS on your booster for two seconds. When connected both WPS buttons will turn green then off, and the connected light on your booster will turn solid green.
      Next, press and hold WPS on your booster for two seconds, and within two minutes press and hold WPS on your Sky Q Mini box for two seconds.
      After a couple of minutes, check the connection has been successful by viewing an HD channel (such as Sky Sports F1 HD, Sky Sports News HQ HD or Sky News HD) on your Sky Q Mini box.
      https://www.sky.com/help/articles/co...tting-up-sky-q
      If you must use ethernet as you mentioned;

Quote Originally Posted by rbwinstanley View Post
      The engineer suggested that a single Ethernet run directly from the Silver Box to the Mini Box would eradicate the need for the Booster, so I purchased a 15m Ethernet cable. However, when I tried to connect using this method the Mini Box would not perform saying that there was no network connection.
      Sounds like you have not told the mini its using an ethernet connection, you have to do that from the mini box settings;
      https://www.sky.com/help/articles/co...ll-sky-q-boxes

Suggest you try these first and then come back with any problems.

Thanks

Hi Lettice & thank you for your reply, I'm sure some of your advice will be helpful.

Could the Booster be set up differently to your suggestion?
      The Wifi in the bedroom is practically non-existent - hence the Ethernet cable to the 2nd Asus router. At the moment, the Ethernet cable from the Sky Booster runs to a switch in the bedroom and from there to the Sky Mini Box and the Asus router. The Asus router is then transmitting Wifi to the bedroom as well as to the Smart TV.

Also, the Mini Box is already set to Ethernet (as this is how it is currently receiving its signal).

As I said, I am worried that if I mess around with the Sky Booster setup that I won’t be able to replicate the current settings if things don’t work out.

rogerfp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bexleyheath
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have a Sky Q silver + 2 mini boxes since April. After the engineer left I too set them up using Ethernet as all of the locations have a gigabit network available, but I also found that the minis were getting connection errors to the Silver box. So I converted them back to wireless which worked better but one mini occasionally reported no connection. I called Sky and they supplied a booster box which I located halfway between the Silver and the minis. The silver connects to the booster and the minis to the booster. So far it has been stable but it's irritating that ethernet has issues. I'm going to try again after the update this week but this time with static IP addresses. So I would suggest trying static IP addresses on all boxes and then connect via Ethernet to everything including the Sky Silver and see if it helps.

Thanks

Thanks Rogerfp.
      I have an update, of sorts. Today I received my new BT Smart Hub. I have reconnected pretty much everything on my network, but can't get the Q Mini to work. Q Silver is fine using a Wifi connection to the BT Smart Hub. I reconnected the Booster to the Sky Q Silver using WPS and have 3 green lights on the front. The method mentioned above did not work for the Q Mini. The closest I get is to receive a no DNS error and a suggestion to restart my router (which does nothing). DHCP is enabled on the Smart Hub and IP's are being allocated to everything else that I connect.
      I have tried a direct ethernet connection from the BT Hub to the Q Mini, which at least gives me an intermittent TV picture but loses connection every few seconds and eventually gives me a connection problem error.
      I have tried to replicate the engineer setup - a direct ethernet connection between the Booster and the Q Mini, but this doesn't work either.
      I have spent around 3 fruitless hours this evening trying to get this to work and I am now extremely frustrated. Does anyone have any suggestions before I give up and ring Sky (or throw the Q Mini out of the window)?

The Realist is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Anything
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre 100GB Trial Gold X
      Router: Sky Q Hub Mk7 Trial Gold
      Sky TV: SkyQ/Motorised
      Thanks

The booster will not work via WPS to the router, reset the booster and WPS to the Q silver.

Once the booster is connected you can then WPS from the booster to the mini.
      Disclaimer: The views expressed here are my own and in no way represent the views or policies of my employer.

Thanks

Hi Realist,
      Thank you for your post and advice, however the Booster is connected to the Q Silver and not the router. I can't get the Q Mini to then connect to the Booster or Q Silver.

This morning I have moved the Booster to a place that is almost directly in line of sight between the Silver & Mini (although it can't stay there). It connects quickly to the Q Silver and then the process seems to be working for the Q Mini until I get the same "no IP address" error. When I go to the settings in the Mini, the router it is showing is the old BT one that is no longer active. I have reset this option, but it still won't change to the new one or the Sky Booster. Could this be the issue?

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tb + minis
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rbwinstanley View Post
      Hi Realist,
      Thank you for your post and advice, however the Booster is connected to the Q Silver and not the router. I can't get the Q Mini to then connect to the Booster or Q Silver.

This morning I have moved the Booster to a place that is almost directly in line of sight between the Silver & Mini (although it can't stay there). It connects quickly to the Q Silver and then the process seems to be working for the Q Mini until I get the same "no IP address" error. When I go to the settings in the Mini, the router it is showing is the old BT one that is no longer active. I have reset this option, but it still won't change to the new one or the Sky Booster. Could this be the issue?
      The sky q firmware got updated last night on the mini and sky q silver so would be wise to update them, if its available for you yet.

If you are getting No ip address error on your mini, a common error, things to try and check in this order;

From Mini;
      Home> Settings>Setup>Network
      Select Reset, then confirm and follow the on screen prompts
      Wait a few minutes for your Sky Q Mini box to attempt connection.
      If it fails then
      Check your broadband router is up and running normally.
      All your sky q boxes power lights are showing amber or green.
      The sky q booster is showing three green lights.

If all the above is ok, restart your router and then try reconnecting the mini once your router is up and your sky q box and booster have reconnected.