Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree2Likes
    • 1 Post By reddwarfcrew
    • 1 Post By Stumpy

Sky Q Updated Email Offer

This is a discussion on Sky Q Updated Email Offer within the Sky Q forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I was one of those that got the special email offer when Sky Q first came out, offering 99 off ...

Stumpy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stainton
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: BT Home Hub
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Sky Q Updated Email Offer

I was one of those that got the special email offer when Sky Q first came out, offering 99 off the installation fee (meaning it would "only" cost around 50 instead). I spent a looong time considering it - I was all up for getting it but the first lady I spoke to at Sky, after getting the offer, put me off - she sounded very depressed about the whole thing and certainly wasn't making an effort to make a sale, giving me little up front information - it was basically "do you know what it is, right .. are you going to buy it or not then ...". So I left it.

I then got a call a couple of weeks later from someone a lot more enthusiastic who just about persuaded me to go for it, but I was a bit put off by having to lose all the programmes - I asked him to give me a couple of weeks to think about it, then ring me back (so I could work out how much I was going to be able to watch/re-record, etc). A couple of weeks later another guy rang me back, but I got the feeling he was telling porkies. I mentioned that I'd been a little put off by not being able to transfer recorded programmes, and he said you could - you could just stick a USB stick in the Sky box and it would automatically transfer. Now I looked into it in great depth - not least on these forums at the time - and found nothing that mentioned this at all - and I suspect if it were that easy, it would have been. I'd also check Sky's own forums and someone had asked the question there and had been firmly told "no".

So I gave up. I didn't NEED the Sky Q, and I certainly didn't want to pay the extra subscription per month (despite it being a "premium product specifically for a very certain type of person" as the first lady told me, probably whilst holding a pomander to her nose ... ). I'd be happy to pay a one off, up front fee, but I'd rather not increase my monthly payments anymore - they're already silly high.

Anyway .. after all that ... I'm still not going to get it currently, but I thought I'd let you guys know that I've just received another email offer - this time for completely free installation. I don't know if this is going out to everyone, but I do know that it said the offer sent is "by invitation only".

Some of the T's & C's: "18 month minimum subscriptions. Around the home, watch recordings included in your Sky Q channel pack and most free-to-air channels. See www.sky.com/SkyQchannels for more information. Subject to status. Upfront payment may be required. Sky Q subscription: 44 per month (pm). Sky Q Silver subscription: 56 a month. Standard installation: 149 for existing Sky TV customers (discounted to 0 with this offer). Non-standard installation may cost extra. Pricing excludes Premiums such as Sky Sports and Sky Movies. Offer available to recipients of this email by invitation only. Offer not available in conjunction with any other offers."

I'll hang on and hope they eventually just make it free subscription ...

2. Advertisement
      bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Re: Sky Q Updated Email Offer

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
      I was one of those that got the special email offer when Sky Q first came out, offering 99 off the installation fee (meaning it would "only" cost around 50 instead). I spent a looong time considering it - I was all up for getting it but the first lady I spoke to at Sky, after getting the offer, put me off - she sounded very depressed about the whole thing and certainly wasn't making an effort to make a sale, giving me little up front information - it was basically "do you know what it is, right .. are you going to buy it or not then ...". So I left it.

I then got a call a couple of weeks later from someone a lot more enthusiastic who just about persuaded me to go for it, but I was a bit put off by having to lose all the programmes - I asked him to give me a couple of weeks to think about it, then ring me back (so I could work out how much I was going to be able to watch/re-record, etc). A couple of weeks later another guy rang me back, but I got the feeling he was telling porkies. I mentioned that I'd been a little put off by not being able to transfer recorded programmes, and he said you could - you could just stick a USB stick in the Sky box and it would automatically transfer. Now I looked into it in great depth - not least on these forums at the time - and found nothing that mentioned this at all - and I suspect if it were that easy, it would have been. I'd also check Sky's own forums and someone had asked the question there and had been firmly told "no".

So I gave up. I didn't NEED the Sky Q, and I certainly didn't want to pay the extra subscription per month (despite it being a "premium product specifically for a very certain type of person" as the first lady told me, probably whilst holding a pomander to her nose ... ). I'd be happy to pay a one off, up front fee, but I'd rather not increase my monthly payments anymore - they're already silly high.

Anyway .. after all that ... I'm still not going to get it currently, but I thought I'd let you guys know that I've just received another email offer - this time for completely free installation. I don't know if this is going out to everyone, but I do know that it said the offer sent is "by invitation only".

Some of the T's & C's: "18 month minimum subscriptions. Around the home, watch recordings included in your Sky Q channel pack and most free-to-air channels. See www.sky.com/SkyQchannels for more information. Subject to status. Upfront payment may be required. Sky Q subscription: 44 per month (pm). Sky Q Silver subscription: 56 a month. Standard installation: 149 for existing Sky TV customers (discounted to 0 with this offer). Non-standard installation may cost extra. Pricing excludes Premiums such as Sky Sports and Sky Movies. Offer available to recipients of this email by invitation only. Offer not available in conjunction with any other offers."

I'll hang on and hope they eventually just make it free subscription ...
      If you have "Sky World" (old pack name) in HD, now known as "Complete" bundle and Multiscreen in one room and are not on a discount then this offer is a good deal as there is no setup costs for SkyQ silver with a second room mini-box. You just need to keep paying the monthly costs. If you phone them and have a moan about the price you might get some money off the Sports and/or Movies for a few/several months.

If you've not got this email but know a Sky staff member then they can give you this offer too.
      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of Sky

Thanks

deleted
      Last edited by Stumpy; 08-06-16 at 02:01 PM. Reason: the forum freaked out and double posted - sorry!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bubblegun View Post
      If you have "Sky World" (old pack name) in HD, now known as "Complete" bundle and Multiscreen in one room and are not on a discount then this offer is a good deal as there is no setup costs for SkyQ silver with a second room mini-box. You just need to keep paying the monthly costs. If you phone them and have a moan about the price you might get some money off the Sports and/or Movies for a few/several months.

If you've not got this email but know a Sky staff member then they can give you this offer too.
      We don't currently have multiroom and, although it would be great to have, currently don't have a NEED for it (although that might change depending on how much sport is coming to the TV soon!). All three times I had a "moan" about the cost - we're currently paying 125 per month for broadband, phone and virtually all the TV packages. We already have the 2TB box so we'd not benefit from a bigger box - I feel we're paying enough, without adding another 12 or whatever on top of that. I could, I suppose, forgo my movies to recoup some of the cost - but I felt the urge to stick my heels in, as he would still have his sports

I know 12 isn't much in the great scheme of things - one or two bottles of wine a month - but it just feels like one step too far.

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I know 12 isn't much in the great scheme of things - one or two bottles of wine a month - but it just feels like one step too far.
      You forgo paying the elec bill before you forgo wine!!!!!! Glad you've got your priorities right.
      Stumpy likes this.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to reddwarfcrew For This Useful Post:

Stumpy (08-06-16)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reddwarfcrew View Post
      You forgo paying the elec bill before you forgo wine!!!!!! Glad you've got your priorities right.
      Haha very true ... although recently I saved 25 a month on my combined leccy and gas bill, so that GAINED me a few bottles ;-) (I don't want to give them up again now though .. they're mine, all mine ...!)
      reddwarfcrew likes this.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

We don't currently have multiroom and, although it would be great to have, currently don't have a NEED for it (although that might change depending on how much sport is coming to the TV soon!). All three times I had a "moan" about the cost - we're currently paying 125 per month for broadband, phone and virtually all the TV packages. We already have the 2TB box so we'd not benefit from a bigger box - I feel we're paying enough, without adding another 12 or whatever on top of that. I could, I suppose, forgo my movies to recoup some of the cost - but I felt the urge to stick my heels in, as he would still have his sports

You cannot get whole account discounts with SkyQ but you can get discounts on the cost of Sports and Movies, you just need to be willing to remove them. You will eaither get an offer to not remove them which could save you, for example 10/month (possibly more). Some customers have found over the years that if you remove one or both then you will get good discounts to add them back on after they go off.

Just some tips on the type of discussions to have if looking to get SkyQ.

Most Retention (Cancellations and certainly Winback) discounts do not carry onto SkyQ however most Downgrades dept discounts will.
      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of Sky

Thanks

Well here's something interestingly coincidental .. I've just have a phone call from Sky from a VERY enthusiastic customer services guy, offering me Sky Q Silver for no additional cost for the 18 months contract, all my current packages the same, and with just a one off fee of 50. So I've gone for it :-)

lgrenter is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01443
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Well here's something interestingly coincidental .. I've just have a phone call from Sky from a VERY enthusiastic customer services guy, offering me Sky Q Silver for no additional cost for the 18 months contract, all my current packages the same, and with just a one off fee of 50. So I've gone for it :-)
      i had sky q installed on the weekend after phoning and asking about the old 99 pound off install offer for silver. i wanted 2 mini boxes and the silver main so was happy to save the 99 then add the extra box to bump it back up (but save on the extra install in the long term). on hd i had the family package and no movies or sport and on the website i was quoated that sky q would raise my bill by 6.75 a month, however on the phone i was given q at the discounted price with 2 mini boxes for 149 (which i expected), but my monthly bill is also being kept at the same level! so i get the new equipment, pay same price plus can stop paying sky protect! guy on phone told me at the time that if you ring then they can keep monthly bills more or less the same for long term customers!

so far i am loving q, may be my imagination but picture seems a lot sharper on hd channels and i have had no problems with it after almost a week! wifey is not keen on touch remote and prefers the buttony one but i dont have a prob with the new one (but wish the buttons were a bit more raised!)

Thanks

Since the football has started - it can't arrive soon enough. I might get to watch TV again!