Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By gorebrush

What am I missing - is Q not suitable for those of us with several boxes.

This is a discussion on What am I missing - is Q not suitable for those of us with several boxes. within the Sky Q forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I've been waiting to order as it will eventually deliver ultra HD. However after studying it, why would I pay ...

Mushy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Abson
      Broadband ISP: Bt fibre
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Unhappy What am I missing - is Q not suitable for those of us with several boxes.

I've been waiting to order as it will eventually deliver ultra HD.
      However after studying it, why would I pay 350 to replace 4 good boxes with a combined 4 terabyte storage capacity, with a Q box with only 2 terabyte. This would be shared with all 4 boxes as the mini boxes have no hardrive and store on the main Q box.
      Hopefully there is a plan to deliver a separate ultra HD box for those having to stay with the original boxes to avoid sharing a small planner with the rest of the family.
      Why only a 2 terabyte capacity, please increase this or at least offer an additional hardrive for those of us 4 box family's.

2. Advertisement
      The Realist is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Anything
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre 100GB Trial Gold X
      Router: Sky Q Hub Mk7 Trial Gold
      Sky TV: SkyQ/Motorised
      Thanks

Re: What am I missing - is Q not suitable for those of us with several boxes.

This is where people are getting confused with SkyQ.

SkyQ is a separate system all together and as it stands its a 2TB drive and that's it and I don't see any other size drive being offered.

If your happy with your current system and setup then keep it as it is.
      Disclaimer: The views expressed here are my own and in no way represent the views or policies of my employer.

Plastivore is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: VoIP!
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Media XL
      Router: Virgin Media Super Hub 2ac
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Sky Q, in my opinion, is the way multiroom should be done. The satellite feeds arrive to the main box, and the rest is connected to that box through the network. The good thing about it is that you can access live TV and all your recordings from all your boxes (whereas right now you can only watch the recordings on the box that's in your room). You should also be able to start watching a programme, pause it, and pick it off from where you stopped in another room, with the added bonus of not having to connect all the boxes to the dish.

I am personally very excited about this, as I think multiform is too expensive for what it is as you can't access your recordings across boxes (unless I am mistaken, in which case I'm all ears . But I think I'll wait a bit and se if any deal will come. Also, I currently rent the property I currently live in and may not be able to have Sky if I move out, so the 18 months contract is a bit too restrictive for me at the moment.

Now, if you're happy with your setup and don't see any interest in the features I have listed above (well, you already have all your boxes connected to the dish(es?), so that's one down ). Also I understand that you'll only have 2GB (well, more like 1.5 for recordings, as 500MB will be for catch-up and box sets if it works the same as it does for regular Sky+HD), but you may not need as much as you won't need to record things on several boxes to have it available in all rooms. Again, it looks like quite a nice setup you have already, so you're not losing much, really.

gorebrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: UK
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: VM pfSense 2.3.2-RELEASE-p1 on ESX 6
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

My favourite feature is being able to use it with tablets - I only have a single TV set, but own an iPad - I could take that into the kitchen and watch something or have it on my desk in my office with it on in the background or maybe even watch TV in bed with an iPad without having to go buy another TV and have the silver box all rigged up to the TV etc - we had a TV in the bedroom and it was never watched so we took it down.

I'm waiting it out another few weeks to see the initial installs with wired networking get one (seriously you don't want to know how awkward my networking is ) and go from there.
      reddwarfcrew likes this.

Paul2003 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leamington Spa
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

What am I missing - is Q not suitable for those of us with several boxes.

My Sky Q Silver being installed on Wednesday been a long three week wait. Me and the wife work she's a nurse so works odd hours and we have multiroom but things kept clashing when I wanted to record my sensible programmes and Lisa wanted to fill planners with awful rubbish lol. Sky Q going to be a whole new world

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.