Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Something big is on the cards....

This is a discussion on Something big is on the cards.... within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Until Sky have poached a lot of people off BT , then put the price up ! Also, regarding the ...

dancingdog777 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01425
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Something big is on the cards....

Until Sky have poached a lot of people off BT, then put the price up !
      Also, regarding the survey results, the majority did not get good back up service
      and Sky played the usual corporate game of not bothering to ring back.

Let's face it, if Sky were as good as they think they are, this forum wouldn't need to exist. The fact that it does, speaks volumes about the poor service we all get with our broadband connections, the lack of support from the Customer Sevice idiots and their constant bleatings, " our 3rd tier support will contact you within 7 to 10 days". Like hell they do!

If it wasn't for that stupid 12 month contract, and the fact that I can't afford a solicitor, I'd leave tomorrow! I feel as though I've been ripped off and there's nothing I can do about it!

Frankly, I support Virgin, if only that they'll give Sky a bloody nose!

2. Advertisement
      reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dancingdog777 View Post
      Let's face it, if Sky were as good as they think they are, this forum wouldn't need to exist.
      Think you've missed the point of forums.

If you read the posts carefully, a hell of a lot of the 'problems' are down to either:

a) poor wiring - so not Sky's fault, but either BTs or the homeowners
      b) poor PC set up - not sky's, but the PC user

Dont get me wrong, Sky are far from perfect, but if VM are so good, then why is VM previously known as NTLHELL. Sky haven't had to change their name to try and ditch the stigma that they have and this forum isn't called SkyHell, unlike the VM CableHell, Broadband, TV, Phone, Mobile and Virgin Media Support! (Powered by Invision Power Board)

Tezcatlipoca is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Cambridge (EACAM)
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reddwarfcrew View Post
      Dont get me wrong, Sky are far from perfect, but if VM are so good, then why is VM previously known as NTLHELL. Sky haven't had to change their name to try and ditch the stigma that they have and this forum isn't called SkyHell, unlike the VM CableHell, Broadband, TV, Phone, Mobile and Virgin Media Support! (Powered by Invision Power Board)

NTHellWorld came before NTLHell/CableHell

However, your point still stands.

NTL had a huge image problem, due to often awful customer service etc. etc....hence all the various "Hell" forums, & hence the massive "Virgin Media" re-brand to try & escape it...

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dancingdog777 View Post
      Let's face it, if Sky were as good as they think they are, this forum wouldn't need to exist. The fact that it does, speaks volumes about the poor service we all get with our broadband connections, the lack of support from the Customer Sevice idiots and their constant bleatings, " our 3rd tier support will contact you within 7 to 10 days". Like hell they do!
      Sorry cannot ignore this post. SkyUser was not set up as a forum to shout about how bad Sky is, unfortunately not everyone has had a good experience, but our ultimate goal of this site, when we set it up was to help people.

Not because Sky were incapable of helping, but because myself and SatDish enjoy spending our time helping people in a community forum type way. This has never ever been changed, our way of thinking is the same now as it was in August 2006. Personnally I never received Sky Broadband until January 2007, and to be brutally honest if you bother to go back to the first threads on this forum, it was all about helping people who may or not be as technically competent as some other members.

We will never change this philosphy, and we do not want to be known as the Unofficial Sky Website full of problems, we want to be known as the Unofficial SkyUser support and help type site.

We also do our best to give you as much news about Sky / BSkyB that we can get our hands on and generally be a useful resource site.

Yes Sky have hard times, their support has lacked and tbh they have lied their backsides off to certain members, however from the outside, things appear to be getting better, as they gain confidence in running this service.

We love hearing positive stories of people who are happy, at the same time we like to see the bad side of things as well, as I believe this gives the person who may be looking to join Sky Broadband a balanced view.

What we do not like to read is people who post on here, swearing or insulting other members of our forum and Sky / Easynet employees. Yes we all get a bit peeved, but at the end of the day we are all human. People can raise exactly the same issues constructively and respectfully and still achieve the same, ie their rant.

We have no plans to stop people making negative posts, however we do want to continue to be known as the place to look if you need any help with Sky Broadband, or any other Sky Product.

If we had wanted to have a go at Sky and their sloppy service, we would have called these forums SkyUserProblems or SkyUserHell. (no malice mean't at similar named forums - purely used as an example)

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
      NTHellWorld came before NTLHell/CableHell

However, your point still stands.

NTL had a huge image problem, due to often awful customer service etc. etc....hence all the various "Hell" forums, & hence the massive "Virgin Media" re-brand to try & escape it...
      tbh I had never really heard bad things about NTL/Blueyonder until:

1) They introduced traffic shaping / slowed lines down

2) Virgin bought them

Now I read nothing but bad things about them. imho I was always under the impression from others that they were a very good ISP.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

TheWhizzz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gravesend
      Broadband ISP: 02
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

here here
      Please take a moment and upgrade your bit torrent client to the latest version.
      Help traffic shaped users by enabling protocol encryption in Az or T

armitasp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Loughborough
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I would agree this site is more than Sky bashing.

As for Sky's customer service, it does leave a lot to be desired. Most of the time if you have a problem it is like banging your head against a brick wall with Sky. That said you get what you pay for and 16mb/s (finally) broadband for 10 month is (perhaps) worth a little pain. I came to Sky broadband with my eyes open, I knew I was sacrificing decent customer service, and a more complete service (with Zen) by switching to Sky. But I was tempted to the darkside by fast connection speeds for little money.

bottom line. What do you expect for 10 month.

Tezcatlipoca is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Cambridge (EACAM)
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      tbh I had never really heard bad things about NTL/Blueyonder until:

1) They introduced traffic shaping / slowed lines down

2) Virgin bought them

Now I read nothing but bad things about them. imho I was always under the impression from others that they were a very good ISP.

They were great as an ISP the 5 years + I had them.

Service wise, anyway.

CS/TS often let them down though...quite badly sometimes (not all though - they do have a lot of very helpful people in CS & TS... just not enough).

Also they had a bit of a rep for billing problems... all those different cable co's rolled into one, each with a different system (heh, everything had a different system).....

The TV wasn't great, mainly due to the poor STB I had (more flaky than a Sky router ).

One of the biggest flaps was with the dreaded cap saga a few years ago...ntl were one of the first to introduce usage limits, & it caused a bit of a fuss, to say the least...

As to what you said about Sky User...

I don't see this place as a moan site or hell site - while there will always be moaning & bashing when there are problems (& people with problems are always more vocal than people who are satisfied), it is a help site, & a very good one
      Last edited by Tezcatlipoca; 09-03-07 at 12:42 AM. Reason: typo

dancingdog777 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01425
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Sorry for my outburst NewsreadeR and others, but banging one's head against a brick wall is exactly how I feel !

I can remove the post if you like or you can edit or delete it if you prefer.

I just wish someone at Sky would take me, a paying customer, seriously for once.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 4512 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 41.0 db 25.0 db
      Noise Margin 5.1 db 23.0 db

This despite all the tweaking using TCP optimiser and the Mosseywell Bounce
      programs.

Once again sorry for the disruption!

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Sorry for my outburst NewsreadeR and others, but banging one's head against a brick wall is exactly how I feel !
      No need to apologise, I know how you feel, I just wanted you to understand everyone on this site, wants to help each other not have a pop.

I can remove the post if you like or you can edit or delete it if you prefer.
      No need, you have got it off your chest now
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 11-03-07 at 03:50 AM.

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast