Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Something big is on the cards....

This is a discussion on Something big is on the cards.... within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Originally Posted by Helpmeplease In addition, I highly suspect that Sky will not just broadcast Sky News, Sky Three, etc ...

tapzilla2k is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Oxford SMOF
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Something big is on the cards....

Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeplease View Post

In addition, I highly suspect that Sky will not just broadcast Sky News, Sky Three, etc on the new set-top box. I would imagine that they will launch a whole new platform (similar to Satellite) and therefore a lot of the Sky Entertainment Package will probably be broadcasted via the set-top box (for a subscription). Clocking Freeview viewers up.
      Sky will still be subject to the bandwidth constraints that apply to terrestrial digital multiplexes. They would at most manage 3 or 4 channels in MPEG4. They could of course do what top up tv has done and that is to have a PVR box that downloads a compressed data stream over night then decompress that data stream on the box which gives you a selection of programmes.

As it is there's been talk about Freeview having a very limited number of HD channels (it's possible to broadcast HD on Freeview as the test in London showed, though due to the bandwidth limits and other technical problems, it's not feasible to do until after the analog signal is turned off). Though the BBC is apparently going to push ahead with it's own FTA Satellite service for areas where the terrestrial signal is poor.

As for Virgin media, i think they pulled a stupid publicity stunt, which has largely backfired on them. Though i guess some people see Sky as the bad guy's. Competition is healthy even for Sky. I just think Branson neglected to take into account the skill of the Murdoch's in the pay tv arena.

I hope Sky do actually have some good Sky+ or Sky HD offers forthcoming. My Sky+ box is probably going to die in the next few months. Not too bothered with the telephone stuff tbh.

As for the future, Sky might be able to have a similar on demand service to Virgin Media in some areas. If and when newer DSL technology arrives in the UK. You can bond two ADSL2+ lines to increase the overall speed or go with the more expensive VDSL option which will require a mixture of copper and fibre optics (and no end of hurdles from OFCOM probably). Which makes me wonder about Sky saying Virgin media should open up it's network.

2. Advertisement
      Psycho is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMGDDLI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Guesswot View Post
      Re the VirginMedia thing, Sky invested in the programmes, their value is the market value, sky high I would guess. Let ViginMedia invest and produce their own Sky One equivalent, etc, and Movie and Sports channels rather than begging for someone elses assets!
      To be fair VM offered Sky 60M for the right to show Sky 1 for x length of time, the way I see it is that Sky made a conscious decision to pull the plug on the VM deal whatever price was offered.

Playing devils advocate, would you (as a VM customer) jump ship to another provider (Sky) in the full knowledge of the way they had just done business? some obviously will but what does it say about the integrity of Sky

There is enough room in the market for both of these companies to operate succesfully, sadly if they both persist in the drive to market place domination there will only be on loser.....US

On a footnote, I wonder what Sky will do to bail out ITV in light of their profit loss announcement today?

sjmcards2002 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: bt till sky comes my way
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

i was with ntl moved just b4 xmas last year.
      i would of moved just for skyone if i was with them now, as it is the channel i watch the most,

after seen what been going on in the news i dont think virgin are doing much better integrity wise

to be honest i think all this was caused by sky buying the itv stake,
      and now it getting petty,

they both need to sit down and sort it out

mikey4020 is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Halfway/WSHAL
      Broadband ISP: O2 Premium (4th Aug)
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

I think Virgin Media should invest in their own channels also. They have the added advantage of a more accessible VOD service at the moment. It's time for Virgin to loose it's Sky connection and become a media network in it's own right. It is clear from what has happened over the last two weeks that the Sky/ VM apparent war is actually a battle of ego's. Branson and Murdoch are rivals and Sky and Virgin Media are rivals. We, the consumer, will benefit more if the two companies exist independently, carrying their own brands and not depend on each other for making money.

Also I think Virgin 1, Virgin Sports & Virgin News has a ring to it!

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Also I think Virgin 1, Virgin Sports & Virgin News has a ring to it!
      Yes definitely, Virgin Mud Wrestling sounds good to me

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Simon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLWW
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: ASUS DSL-AC68U
      Sky TV: Youview
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
      Playing devils advocate, would you (as a VM customer) jump ship to another provider (Sky) in the full knowledge of the way they had just done business? some obviously will but what does it say about the integrity of Sky
      Too be honest most ordinary folks aren't interested in the squabbling between VM and Sky, they just want to watch their favourite shows/channels for a reasonable sum of money, I doubt many customers are loyal when it comes down to whats offered to them for their money. If they miss their favourite shows then they'll no doubt follow them to Sky it's that simple.
      -

Clothes may disguise a fool, but his voice will give him away...

Simon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLWW
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: ASUS DSL-AC68U
      Sky TV: Youview
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      Yes definitely, Virgin Mud Wrestling sounds good to me
      not forgetting VM1...Virgin Music
      -

Clothes may disguise a fool, but his voice will give him away...

mikey4020 is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Halfway/WSHAL
      Broadband ISP: O2 Premium (4th Aug)
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Could you imagine the press conference when their announcing new channels. "Virgin Media are pleased to announce our new channel dedicated to nature documentaries, Virgin Animals!" "Further we are excited to announce our brand new children's channel Virgin Kiddies!"

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

New series of

Virgin on the ridiculous

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
      not forgetting VM1...Virgin Music
      And Virgin Three

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast