Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Something big is on the cards....

This is a discussion on Something big is on the cards.... within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Originally Posted by Alan b All of which will be aimed at new subscribers and not existing ones I would ...

DJS Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: Something big is on the cards....

Quote Originally Posted by Alan b View Post
      All of which will be aimed at new subscribers and not existing ones I would have thought.
      In all honesty I can't see that happening. I also nelieve that the Sky+ charge of 10 will be dropped as well as a re-structure in the pricing (not necessarily an increase).

regards

2. Advertisement
      mikey4020 is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Halfway/WSHAL
      Broadband ISP: O2 Premium (4th Aug)
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Obviously because of the Sky+ dropping charge I'm a bit sceptical of this although I feel slightly more confident in it because it's from NewsreadeR.

I think the Sky+ charge being dropped could potentially kill VM but I don't think it would be enough to get new people to subscribe. If I was a new customer the installation cost and cost of the box is what would put me off getting Sky+. Obviously as an existing subscriber I want to see the Sky+ charge being dropped although the installation and cost of the box would still make me think before picking up the phone and upgrading.

I don't think Sky are making the best decision pulling their channels from Freeview. The majority of the programming on their Freeview channels is not great and audience figures are probably low. However one channel I know some of my relatives will miss is Sky News. This alone won't make them get Sky installed because they could always watch BBC News, therefore I don't Sky will benefit any by pulling their channels from Freeview and will probably find that their audience figures take a small dip.

Galaxy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: PlusNet
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      Sky will be launching phone line rental at 9.00 a month later on this year, if thats what you mean. Saving you 1.75 against BT.

Yes Thats what I meant. Hope this is sooner rather than later and I'm interested in this along with the Sky Talk

yodasarmpit is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
      It was mentioned on ADSLGuide that Sky are planning a Home Phone line service

Anyone else heard if this is the case? Aparently cheaper than BT
      There are some staff trailing the service on LLU enabled exchanges at the moment.

Helpmeplease is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BT Broadband Option 1 (not for much longer)
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I'm a bit confused, why people are referring to Sky as withdrawing from terrestrial broadcasting.

Sky are doing a crafty marketing trick, as they will simply intend to cease broadcasting their channels in MPEG-3 (Freeview Standard). From the Summer, Sky will Broadcast (Sky News, Sky Three, etc) on MPEG-4 and they will be available via terrestrial service.

However... the crafty marketing trick will be that anyone who wants to watch it will require an new set-top box. Therefore pulling customers on to the Sky platform.

In addition, I highly suspect that Sky will not just broadcast Sky News, Sky Three, etc on the new set-top box. I would imagine that they will launch a whole new platform (similar to Satellite) and therefore a lot of the Sky Entertainment Package will probably be broadcasted via the set-top box (for a subscription). Clocking Freeview viewers up.

If Sky pulled such a stunt, it will cause a big blow to the Top-up TV network.

Me suspects that a stunt like this is on the way .

However it all depends what OFCOM say, as it needs to be approved by them.
      Last edited by Helpmeplease; 06-03-07 at 06:50 PM.

AberdeenGuy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Denburn
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I never knew Sky were introducing their own phone service. I'll join them if there are no setup costs and I receive the same service I have done with BT. All that remains now is for them to do away with the Sky+ charge and unbundle my exchange for Max this July.

Roll on

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Lets put things into perspective with what we know so far.

1) Virgin Media decided not to pay the asking price / rental of Sky One etc etc

2) Virgin's advertising campaign to make it look like Sky are at fault

3) Sky are known to be launching a new service on digital terrestrial television

4) The Sky+ subscription did not get dropped on the anticipated date

5) Virgin Media appear to have under estimated the popularity of the Sky channels and we are hearing reports of loads of people leaving VM to sign up with Sky

So,

1) is irrelevant as we know that has happened already

2) is irrelevant as well, as that is what we would expect to see

3) To do this Sky are going to have to launch some new type of set top box for this to happen. This could tie in with 4) What if Sky were bringing out a new type of Sky+ box, that is capabe of MPEG4 and backwards compatible. Therefore they would have the hardware in the shape of a Freeview type box, with recording facilities like Sky+.

This is the speculative part, what if this new box was capable of receiving Freeview channels through an aerial, and could also be upgraded at a later date to be connected to a Satelite Dish?

We know there are going to be pay per view type channels anyway, what would stop Sky from offering Sky One etc through a Freeview type box using an aerial? Maybe, just maybe this is all going to be tied in, in some way?

As for 5) this would then mean, that those who want Sky One and are on cable at the moment, or are in an area where they cannot get cable or install a Satelite Dish can straight away get these channels. Now that would upset Virgin Media.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Guesswot is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WWNABB
      Broadband ISP: Be & 3 mobile
      Sky TV: Sky+HD, FreeSat
      Thanks

Toucan 8.99/month including free weekend calls (excluding scam numbers) and 1899 for the rest is the best deal in my case, 1899 no redial after 'x' minutes.
      Re the VirginMedia thing, Sky invested in the programmes, their value is the market value, sky high I would guess. Let ViginMedia invest and produce their own Sky One equivalent, etc, and Movie and Sports channels rather than begging for someone elses assets!
      Last edited by Guesswot; 06-03-07 at 11:04 PM.
      "the moving finger, having writ, moved on"

Simon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLWW
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: ASUS DSL-AC68U
      Sky TV: Youview
      Thanks

Here's what DTG are quoting about Sky's DTT & VOD services:

DTG News: BSkyB to launch push-VOD via Sky+ service [Video On Demand]

DTG News: Sky reveals digital terrestrial pay-TV strategy [Terrestrial TV Service]

DTG News: Ofcom outlines stance on Sky's DTT plans [Ofcoms stance on Sky's DTT Service]
      -

Clothes may disguise a fool, but his voice will give him away...

Tezcatlipoca is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Cambridge (EACAM)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeplease View Post
      Sky are doing a crafty marketing trick, as they will simply intend to cease broadcasting their channels in MPEG-3 (Freeview Standard). From the Summer, Sky will Broadcast (Sky News, Sky Three, etc) on MPEG-4 and they will be available via terrestrial service.

Freeview, Digital Satellite & Digital Cable, all use MPEG2 (only exception is Sky HD, which uses MPEG4 part 10 - same as what Sky are planning to use if their DTT plans get approved).

The previous news stories said they were planning 4 channels in MPEG4, to replace the current 3 MPEG2 channels they want to pull.
      Last edited by Tezcatlipoca; 07-03-07 at 12:48 AM.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast