Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Sky+ Subscription imminent scrapping

This is a discussion on Sky+ Subscription imminent scrapping within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Originally Posted by NickS I've heard of plans to restructure the movie channels (for the better if you ask me) ...

AberdeenGuy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Denburn
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Sky+ Subscription imminent scrapping

Quote Originally Posted by NickS View Post
      I've heard of plans to restructure the movie channels (for the better if you ask me) from April and also for an overhaul of the pricing structure, I would guess that this is part of that and was intended as a forerunner to the main changes but that the whole VM saga has caused a (slight or otherwise) change of plan. Whatever happens, I think the Sky/VM war will benefit all customers in the long run and I still think that Sky is a better bet because with satellite you will always have access to more channels than on cable.
      My mate is on VM cable and gets pretty much all of the channels I get, now with the exception of Sky1 of course.

NTL internet, as I still call it, is pretty much unrivalled in terms of reliability. Funny how you pretty much never read of bad speeds, excluding very isolated cases, on their forum yet they're rife everywhere else.

I'd be on cable like a shot if it was ever to come here. Unlikely though, seeing as laying new cable is very expensive.

One thing I do know is that I want to save 10 per month without having to fork out on the crappy film channels just to get it. I've always thought that the Sky+ features should be free. I mean it costs Sky nothing to provide. Just another way for them to squeeze out every last penny from us. But those who cited the Sky/VM "war" are right in saying that the heightened level of competition will cause both of them to lower their prices asnd if VM create a better on-demand service than Sky or make their Sky+ equivalent free, then Sky will be forced to follow suit.
      Last edited by AberdeenGuy; 01-03-07 at 04:13 PM.

2. Advertisement
      murdock is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

"NTL internet, as I still call it, is pretty much unrivalled in terms of reliability." -AberdeenGuy.

OR

"Over the years, cable customers have suffered from poor service - summed up in the huge number of complaints to a website called "NTHell" - and poor value."
      The above quote is from this BBC article today:

BBC NEWS | Entertainment | Customers lose out in media row

My Max.
      Faster, Cheaper, Better.

gareth824 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BE
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just been on the phone to Sky trying to sort out my BB problems and as the call was ending I asked the lady if she knew anything about Sky+ fees being removed and she stated that yes they were awaiting confirmation but that it should be announced within the next 2 weeks.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by murdock View Post
      "NTL internet, as I still call it, is pretty much unrivalled in terms of reliability." -AberdeenGuy.

OR

"Over the years, cable customers have suffered from poor service - summed up in the huge number of complaints to a website called "NTHell" - and poor value."

My Max.
      Faster, Cheaper, Better.
      I can definitely appreciate that life is not all peachy for every customer- same goes for any company. But for those that I've spoken to and having read the forums over on thinkbroadband.com, it's clear that NTL are a cut above the rest of the BT-supplied providers. Things may be different on LLU providers, but I've no experience of them.

I'm happy with my Sky Connect package, I just don't like Sky charging us for something that costs them nothing.

That's extremely good news, Gareth. Thanks for enquiring.

aspect is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

IIRC DS had other threads running that there was a consultation or something like suggesting mixes were to be cut to 5 with Bews and Events being taken in to Entertainment/Lifestyle. The 2/4/6 choice would go and you could have 1 @15 or 16 and pay 1 for each mix added. Aain from memory Movies would be about 12.50 and sport 20 with the two at a discount.

How true it all is, time will only tell.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aspect View Post
      IIRC DS had other threads running that there was a consultation or something like suggesting mixes were to be cut to 5 with Bews and Events being taken in to Entertainment/Lifestyle. The 2/4/6 choice would go and you could have 1 @15 or 16 and pay 1 for each mix added. Aain from memory Movies would be about 12.50 and sport 20 with the two at a discount.

How true it all is, time will only tell.
      I currently only pay 16 for sports. Do you know if that charge will be for new customers only or are we all gonna get hit by it?

aspect is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AberdeenGuy View Post
      I currently only pay 16 for sports. Do you know if that charge will be for new customers only or are we all gonna get hit by it?
      I do not want you to be misled. It was only something someone posted ona forum, based on IIRC a consultation document or something similar, he had received. I was posting from memory, but the main points were the idea that News and Events should vanish as a mix and that the elements should be roughly as I said. I've no information or idea if it will be implemented orto whom it would apply if it were. Sorry. BTW I am still searching for the post, but you know the rule; "if you want to find something iit'll be in the last plaxe you look and you would have never looked there",

Pyney is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woolston
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I would certainally be a happy man if Sky dropped their Sky+ initial cost box - I would definitely be looking for multiroom anyway - becuase with wife and daughter who aren't particulary into the footie, I tend to get a little annoyed at being booted up into the bedroom, and they likewise get annoyed at only being able to watch terrestial channels whilst I'm watching Sky Sports via Magic Eye.

Come on Sky - offer Sky+ with Mutiroom for free!!

Tezcatlipoca is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Cambridge (EACAM)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by murdock View Post

Typical BBC getting our name wrong... was NTHellWorld, not NTHell.

The service problems were (& are) predominately customer service / tech support problems (i.e. they suck).

The actual internet service itself is, on the whole, extremely reliable. [although the TV service was often very poor, especially if you were unlucky to have one of the crappy Pace boxes]

When I had ntl Broadband (for over 5 years, 'till I moved to a non-cable area in Jan. '06), it was much much more reliable than my current Sky Broadband connection, & also better than the ADSL connection I had before Sky.

Anyway, as for scrapping the Sky+ sub.........

Surely there is no real justification for the charge anyway?

Freeview PVRs don't require a subscription....why should Sky+?

I think Sky would get many more Sky+ users if they scrapped the 10 charge. [OK, it is currently free if you have Premiums, however not everyone has any Premium channels]

Noel is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sutton in Ashfield
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

"Typical BBC getting our name wrong... was NTHellWorld, not NTHell."

I think they meant [url=http://www.ntlhell.co.uk]!

We only paid 49 for installation a couple of weeks ago (threatened to go to Virgin before they scrapped Sky One and am now so glad we didn't!) - and Sky+ is free anyway as we've got Sky Movies.

It's good that Sky are giving Virgin a run for their money though - good business tactics to give them a good kicking while they're down!

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast