Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Sky Broadband Connect at 5 a month ??

This is a discussion on Sky Broadband Connect at 5 a month ?? within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; not your fault no, but it's business. If everything in life was fair, the world would be a very different ...

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky Broadband Connect at 5 a month ??

not your fault no, but it's business. If everything in life was fair, the world would be a very different place.

2. Advertisement
      dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

i think the comparisons with cars, tv's, etc is not valid as these are items that are superceded by superior ones and you expect the original to be discounted to reflect this. we are paying for a service and 3 months down the line as i have mentioned previously the service being offered at 5 is not an inferior one to the one i am paying 17 for. another fact that people seem to be missing is that the connect package, although being advertised as upto 8mb with a 40 mb dl limit, is in fact inferior to the packages most people previously enjoyed for the following reasons :-

1 - It is of no use for p2p programs
      2 - It is of no use for newsgroup programmes
      3 - It has an absolutely appaling email client
      4 - It has no web hosting space
      5 - It shares with the other packages appaling customer service
      imho if sky do not do right by there existing customers ( after all we are only 5% of there customer base ) then in 9-12 months time they will regret it as they will leave in droves - sky will the not just be losing the broadband income but also the tv income.
      i dont know of any service industry that has thrived by using business methods that alienate its customers

Disillusioned is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSFLT Filton Bristol
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky has never offered the same deal to existing customers that it offers to new customers. If that is an alienating business practice, then they seem to be thriving okay on it.
      ~Computing today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning~

bravedan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Littlehampton (SDLTTLH)
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well, I'm on Connect, since last Sept, paying 17, and STILL suffering continual drops in service, frequent low rates, inadequate Email access............and anybody signing into that at any price needs their bumps felt............

(two reboots in last hour to get service back)

Fact is, offering Connect at 5 is not a good sign, as they would not drop the price to that level for new customers unless sign ups were dropping well below their target levels........clearly because word is getting about that their service is absolutely CRAP, and is NOT improving.

How different NTL has been, with two free upgrades and a bullet proof service.......if only they were in Littlehampton.........SIGH
      My Bus speed is 26 mph, what's yours??

boab2791 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Lennoxtown (WSLEX)
      Broadband ISP: Talk Talk
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dtr42 View Post
      ps the 40 connection fee had already been subsidised by sky [58 is bt's standard fee for hooking up your line
      I think you are you referring to new connections to broadband which indeed sounds right. I had a go at SKy for this fee as I was not a new connection to broadband but simply migrating from one provider to the other which should have attracted a feee of approx 12.77 if I remember correctly.

They hit back saying this was a one off fee for getting connected and completly ignored the fact about the actual migration cost most providers charge and indeed some waive. I only went to Sky as my exchange was being upgraded within a few months of signing up, it has been and still no transfer, I am so enraged with Sky's attitude to its existing Customer base.

I asked why my TV package cost had risen by 5 this year, its largest ever increase, the answer I got was a deafening silence.

Who knows what Monday's new offers will bring.

I am fairly happy with the product, just wish I could get over to Sky's equipment.

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Sky are not doing anything new here. Whilst the analogy to TVs may be flawed, banks and other financial companies have been using this practice for many years. Mobile phone companies tarrifs are another example.

Offering new customers better deals than existing is simple business practice to attain more business. If you find a company that offers its existing customers the same deals as new then you are lucky. Nationwide BS did until the end of Nov, but now they offer better deals to new customers.

Is it fair that I have to pay more for my mortgage than a new customer when I've been with them for over 20 years - no. Is it fair that I can't move to the same mobile tarifs as new customers (even if I restart my 12mth contract) - no.

It's business simple as that. A company is there to make a profit and if they can achieve this by offering better deals to new customers (offsetting the fact that they may lose other unhappy custom), then they should go for it.

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

But the thing is they are only offering the 5 to deal to those whose exchange is being upgraded in the next 6 months, well that is what we are lead to believe so it will be interesting come Monday what Sky's actual website says about this promotion. So there will be people out there come Monday who will see the advertising for this promotion and who like me will not be able to go for it because there exchange doesn't have an upgrade date so wouldn't they be a bit miffed from the start. While it might bring in a load of new customers it might also upset other potential customers who do not want to pay a dearer price for the same product.

beethoven is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MRWAL (LLU since Oct06)
      Broadband ISP: connect billed as 17 - 12 = 5
      Thanks

Is the offer connected in any way to these I have noticed in the papers today: MODERATORS please delete text if I am falling foul of rules
      Telegraph: Telegraph | Business | iPhone is apple of Carphone's eye
      Meanwhile, Carphone's broadband base in the UK rose to 2.16m customers by the end of last year, with subscribers to its TalkTalk brand reaching 632,000.

Carphone became one of the UK's top three broadband providers in October after agreeing to buy AOL's UK arm for 370m.

Guardian: Carphone signs up 630,000 to broadband | | Guardian Unlimited Business
      Carphone Warehouse, Europe's largest mobile retailer, has signed up 632,000 British customers to its TalkTalk "free" broadband, and connected 540,000, though the rate of connection slowed over the last three months of 2006.
      Carphone, Britain's third-largest broadband provider after buying AOL last year, said in its third-quarter trading update that it was on track to meet City forecasts for annual profits. Chief executive Charles Dunstone said it had "another very good Christmas" and delivering profitable like-for-like growth after last year's very strong performance "is a great achievement".

LNB
      LNB is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Padgate LVPAD
      Broadband ISP: Connect at 5 per month
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Dunno, but Apple are in trouble with Cisco, who have owned the trademark iphone since 2000.

Gaztops is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Wanadoo/Orange
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Although i don't agree with this type of business practice, reddwarfcrew is quite right in what he says. This practice is not new.

I've been with Freeserve/Wanadoo/Orange for years. When it was run by Wanadoo i paid to be upgraded from dial-up to broadband. My connection was 512k. A few months maybe three down the line Wanadoo was offering new customers 1 Mb connections with six months payments at half price.

I paid another 20 to be upgraded to the 1 Mb connection then later on in the year Wanadoo decided to upgrade everyones connection to 1 Mb free of charge.

That's twice I've been stung for upgrades there won't be a third.
      Last edited by Gaztops; 13-01-07 at 08:11 PM. Reason: typo

Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast