Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Adoption Of A Common End User Migration Guide

This is a discussion on Adoption Of A Common End User Migration Guide within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; As you know, broadband consumers are suffering from a lack of ‘seamless’ migration processes that allow them to easily switch ...

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Adoption Of A Common End User Migration Guide

As you know, broadband consumers are suffering from a lack of ‘seamless’ migration processes that allow them to easily switch between providers without disruption. This is bad for competition, the broadband industry and most importantly for consumers. This letter seeks the commitment of broadband providers to adopt a common set of guidance to be given to consumers to reduce this harm.

There are a number of causes of lack of seamless migrations including lack of processes, some players not using the voluntary migration code of practice and the increasing level of process complexity of multiple wholesale products and systems that different providers are using. This applies to ISPs using IPStream and DataStream as well as those using LLU.

It was in part due to this problem that we proposed in the consultation Broadband migrations: enabling consumer choice in August to impose certain mandatory requirements on all providers of broadband services to facilitate easy migration. Our decision on this will be published in December with the obligations (subject to consultation) coming into force in February.

See attached PDF for more info
      Attached Files Attached Files
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

2. Advertisement
      Daey Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      I'm very pleased too hear that Oftom are sorting this out - the migration was, for me, a complete mess. I had to 'cease/re-provide' connection when switched from one to the other, and with 2 weeks of no service.

What really got me, is that I switched from Ukonline (ne Easynet ne Sky) and I would've thought that the MAC from Ukonline would have been off use Sky - same network, no?

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yes I know and I agree and the sooner they level the playing field for all ISP's both IPStream and LLU the better for everyone.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      I to am another one who is glad that Oftom are looking at this. The problems I had was the fact that my old ISP continued to bill me after my migration. As I had never moved between ISPs before I natrually presumed that my old ISP would just stop billing me but that didn't happen and only now about two months after my move has it been sorted out, (and they have paid what they owed me).

jameseb is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Llanishan SWLNI
      Broadband ISP: Connect - but soon Max (4/1/06)
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Very happy that somethin is going to be done about this! it was one of my concerns before i took the leap and join and will become even more of a leap when they change me from connect to mid
      Арте́льный горшо́к гу́ще кипи́т. (Moral: Working as a team produces better results!)

имейте большое рождество и С Новым годом (have a great christmas and a happy new year )

Dont ya just love russian proverbs!

J-ames

AlbionDaz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wednesbury
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Its just gone over 3 weeks now,for my Mac code to arrive from Sky,Phone up every 5 days to find out that it hasn't been requested,they tell me they will send it now,only for me to find out after another 5 days,that it hasn't been requested blah blah :/