Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree3Likes

ISP Sky Broadband Confirms Line Rental Price Hike to 18.99

This is a discussion on ISP Sky Broadband Confirms Line Rental Price Hike to 18.99 within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; UPDATE2 ISP Sky Broadband Confirms Line Rental Price Hike to 18.99 - ISPreview UK Last week news broke that Sky ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,185 Times in 2,059 Posts

ISP Sky Broadband Confirms Line Rental Price Hike to 18.99

UPDATE2 ISP Sky Broadband Confirms Line Rental Price Hike to 18.99 - ISPreview UK
      Last week news broke that Sky Broadband intended to raise the monthly price of Phone Line Rental from 1st March 2017 (it’s currently 17.40), although the ISP refused to say by how much. Today we’ve had it confirmed that the price will rise by 9.14% to 18.99 per month.

The increase is much more significant than the +1 extra that we’ve become familiar with seeing from Sky each year. This is arguably an even bigger frustration for Sky Broadband’s customers because they, unlike most of the other major providers, do not offer a pre-paid annual discount (Line Rental Saver) option to help subscribers save money.

Meanwhile if anybody doesn’t like the change then they may still have the opportunity to exit their contracts penalty free (i.e. Ofcom’s rule for mid-contract price hikes), although many existing customers look set to be safe, at least for a little while longer, as the increase currently only affects new subscribers.

A Sky Spokesperson told ISPreview.co.uk:

“There are no changes to our existing headline pricing for Sky TV bundles and the vast majority of customers will see no change at all to the cost of their TV package. We are also keeping line rental prices at their current level for customers who only take a landline from us.”
      Meanwhile Ofcom is busy probing the ever rising cost of line rental (here) and they could propose changes as part of their forthcoming Narrowband Market Review 2017, which is expected to publish its conclusions in September 2017.

On the other hand it’s worth remembering that such price increases exist because the ISP will also be facing higher costs of its own, not least from diminished call revenues and higher data usage from their broadband subscribers.

At the same time there’s the extra cost from having to implement new industry regulation and rules, such as the new system for sending subscriber email “alerts” when Internet piracy is detected (here) and the need to support the Government’s Internet snooping law (here). Further changes, such as a new system for automatic compensation, are also on the way.

UPDATE 11:49am

Added a comment from Sky above. We also understand that Sky may soon be introducing a new line rental related product for their customers that will offer better value, but at present there are no official details to share.

UPDATE 12:44pm

A quick look into the depths of Sky’s website has also revealed that the connection fee for non-inclusive calls will increase from 16.9p to 19p on 1st April 2017 and we also spotted these:
      UK Mobile call rates

From 1 April 2017, we’re changing the way we charge for non-inclusive UK mobile calls by introducing a daytime rate and an evenings & weekend rate. From 1 April 2017, you’ll be charged 19.35p per minute for non-inclusive UK mobile calls made during the day and 14.25p per minute for non-inclusive UK mobiles calls made during the evening & weekend (previously 11.5p per minute any time of day).

UK Landline Rates

From 1 April 2017, the charge for non-inclusive calls to UK landlines increased from 11.5p to 12.54p per minute.
      Summary

Product Old Price New Price Price Difference
      Line Rental 17.40 18.99 +1.59
      Connect 17 20 +3
      Fibre Lite 7.50 10 +2.50
      Broadband Unlimited (Legacy) 7.50 10 +2.50

Call Rates will increase from 1 April 2017:
      Call Rate Old Price New Price Price Difference
      Call connection 16.9p 19p +2.1p
      UK Landline 11.5p 12.54p +1.04p
      UK Mobile Day 11.5p 19.35p +7.85p
      UK Mobile Evening 11.5p 14.25p +2.75p

In addition anyone who upgraded from Connect to Sky Fibre and was given matched price will find they will go onto the standard price for Sky Fibre (20). Also the 'Box Set' TV package will be increased from 34 to 36.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

speedyrite (25-01-17)

3. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,638 Times in 1,599 Posts

Re: ISP Sky Broadband Confirms Line Rental Price Hike to 18.99

A Sky Spokesperson told ISPreview.co.uk:

“There are no changes to our existing headline pricing for Sky TV bundles and the vast majority of customers will see no change at all to the cost of their TV package. We are also keeping line rental prices at their current level for customers who only take a landline from us.
      Does this mean if you have broadband the price will increase, but if you don't it will not?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

lettice is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tb + minis
      Thanks

That is a large increase.
      Just thankful I have my line rental substantially reduced for a good few years and do currently have a free broadband deal. Will make sure that continues in the annual Summer renewal. I'm sure many will be doing the same.
      I can easily afford it but that really is a big increase and not justified in my view.
      That is making a combined broadband and line rental almost 30 if you have the payt option.
      Was reading a week or so back that a lot of BT customers were moving their broadband and phone to sky re the BT price hikes and the BT sport charging had made them angry. Those that moved will not be happy.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

The 3 increase in Connect is interesting. Surely this reflects Sky exerting pressure on customers to move away from this product rather than a commensurate increase in the price being charged by BT Wholesale.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,638 Times in 1,599 Posts

I think Sky want to wash their hands of Connect completely . I don't think it was ever meant to carry on so long, being a stop gap until the exchange was LLUd. The fact they have raised the price by more than 10% means users will be able to leave without penalty. An open invitation from Sky to do so.
      seawright likes this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: HG612B + pfSense 2.4b
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

And theres a fair chance that much of this increase is due to the two companies ridiculous sports contracts that everyone ends up paying for.
      --------------------------------------------------------
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.
      --------------------------------------------------------

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marjohn56 View Post
      And theres a fair chance that much of this increase is due to the two companies ridiculous sports contracts that everyone ends up paying for.
      Including Sky judging from the falling share price over the last year. It would probably have continued to fall without the buyout offer from Fox.
      The interim financial results for last year, due out tomorrow, should make interesting reading.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Sky
      Sky TV: SkyQ
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Also the 'Box Set' TV package will be increased from 34 to 36.
      Your information is wrong on this last point. There has been no increase in the TV price.

This bit has been taken from an internal price change scenario where a customer had a 4 price freeze and this was reduced to 2 giving a perceived increase of 2 but anyone paying 38 will still be paying 38.

Original went to 22 from 4th January (for new and recontracting customers) and Variety has stayed at 32.
      There has been no increase on Sports, Movies, HD or Multiscreen either, at this time.
      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of Sky

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bubblegun For This Useful Post:

Scubbie (26-01-17)

davews is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

Most of the discussion has been on the Talk increases. For those of us who have just broadband (and in my case were moved from O2 at the takeover) we are shown as Broadband Unlimited (Legacy) and are having a 2.50 increase. I understand new customers must take line rental. I also get charged 7.50 for not having talk or Sky TV, so my monthly charge will be 17.50 as confirmed in my future bills in MySky. I also gather Sky have dropped the charge for not having TV.
      My phone is with BT with LRS and anytime calls, just renewed for another year, so will still work out cheaper than what Sky are offering for their talk packages and BT broadband would also be more expensive.
      Guess us non-talk customers are in the minority, or maybe not but it is convenient for them to forget us...
      Scubbie likes this.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,185 Times in 2,059 Posts

Sky used to offer the ability to have the line rental with BT (I don't think any other company offers this, but TalkTalk may) and the broadband with Sky.

They stopped it, then made an exception for those migrating from O2 & Be only. Any new customers now do not get the choice and this has been the case since September 2011. Should you switch to a Sky Fibre product, you would have to take Sky's Line Rental too.

Years back I used to have BT Line Rental & Eclipse for my Internet. BT messed things up in such a big way that I simply could never recommend them to anyone now.

Splitting the line rental with one firm and having your calls with another and your broadband with another sounds great for keeping bills down. The kickback is that it can become a major headache when things go wrong.

We used to have many threads where we would diagnose an issue and advise the OP who they should talk to and what to say. All too often each provider would claim it's not their fault. Why? Well if a provider has to book an engineer, it's they who has to pay the bill. So if your broadband is intermittent, BT would say that as your broadband isn't working, you need to speak to your broadband provider. The fact that the fault was caused by say a broken cable, which should be maintained by BT wasn't good enough.

So personally I wouldn't encourage people to split things up. It sounds great on paper, but when it goes wrong....

Ok, you also mentioned about charges for non-Sky TV customers being dropped. Whilst this is true, Sky also required some people to raise it with them. Ouch! They also get tied in for another 12 month contract. Double Ouch!

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast