Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

Sky Mobile launches today

This is a discussion on Sky Mobile launches today within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Sky Mobile launches today - available from £10 per month and putting an end to 20 million people overbuying data ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,185 Times in 2,059 Posts

Sky Mobile launches today

Sky Mobile launches today - available from £10 per month and putting an end to 20 million people overbuying data

https://corporate.sky.com/media-cent...launches-today

Sky today unveils that Sky Mobile - the UK’s newest and most flexible mobile service – is now available to buy. Sky Mobile provides the most flexible plans and affordable solution to current issues facing UK consumers, including the latest finding that almost 20 million1 people are overbuying mobile data they don’t use and therefore end up losing it each month.

Following the announcement of Sky Mobile in November, when it was revealed UK consumers waste an estimated £2 billion2 each year on mobile data, Sky Mobile today reveals brand new research that highlights the UK’s mobile data problem even further.

The new data, commissioned by Sky Mobile, suggests almost 20 million smartphone users in the UK are deliberately buying more data than they actually need each month for fear of being overcharged. Almost three quarters (72%) of those buying unnecessary data end up losing around 1GB of their allowance every month. That’s the equivalent of losing out on downloading 200 songs or 500 photos; browsing 10,000 websites or watching two hours of video. One in five (21%) say they have “no idea” how much data they have left at the end of each month.

Stephen van Rooyen, UK and Ireland Chief Executive, said:
      “We’re excited that Sky Mobile goes on nationwide sale today, which is great news for UK consumers. Right now mobile contracts are inflexible and confusing and we all know people are buying more data than they need to avoid those extra charges. With Sky Mobile we’ve provided the solution, offering flexibility and great value so our customers’ unused data will be theirs to keep and they can create a plan that’s right for them, month to month. And there’s even more benefits for Sky TV customers with free UK calls and texts, plus the ability to sync with their Sky+ box.”

Sky Mobile has been designed to reflect the way consumers use their phones today, with a combination of four key features:

• Roll – customers can roll over any unused data into their online ‘piggybank’ each month, to use whenever they need for up to three years
      • Mix – customers can create a plan that’s right for them, which they can change every month
      • Save - Sky TV customers don’t have to pay for UK calls or texts with any Sky Mobile data plan, in one of Sky’s most significant deals ever offered
      • Sync – For the first time, Sky TV customers can Sync Sky+ recordings with their phone to create a personal playlist of shows they love to watch wherever they are

Sky Mobile pay monthly (PAYM) SIM plans can be found at sky.com/getmobile.

Later in 2017, Sky Mobile will expand its offering to include the best handsets from Apple and Samsung, as well as from other providers to be confirmed nearer the time. Customers can pre-register for handsets at sky.com/getmobile.

2. Advertisement
      Angel_Rex is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Uckfield
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: SKY SR102
      Thanks

Re: Sky Mobile launches today

Thanks for the info - i cant seem to find it, but any idea which network this is on?

Thanks

Sky Mobile are using the O2 network.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Angel_Rex (06-01-17)

lettice is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tb + minis
      Thanks

Made the decision not to go with Sky Mobile.
      Today we went down to the Vodafone shop and mentioned to them about leaving vodafone and thinking about sky mobile.
      They laughed about the sky deal and said they could better that easily.
      After no real pushing from me got a great deal for us both, a 'Manager's January blackboard special', we changed from payg to a sim only deal.
      12 months contract, 4G 4GB UK Data a month with monthly rollover, unlimited UK minutes, unlimited UK texts.
      £9.00 a month for 12 months.
      No roaming, that adds about £15 to any deal, but do not use or need that.
      We had £150 and £75 credit in each of our current payg accounts, our monthly £10 rollover from not using all of the £10 bundle offers over the years.
      Managed to get a deal with converting that credit and trading in her current Samsung galaxy S5 towards a new sim free Samsung Galaxy 7 edge 32gb for just £230 for the OH.
      Also got a £50 Currys gift card voucher, a current promotional deal.
      speedyrite and Scubbie like this.

The Realist is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Anything
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre 100GB Trial Gold X
      Router: Sky Q Hub Mk7 Trial Gold
      Sky TV: SkyQ/Motorised
      Thanks

I'm with Vodafone and changed from contract to Sim Only and my deal I managed to get is ....

Sim only
      30GB a month data
      Free calls
      Free txt
      4GB roaming but I can take my 30GB with me as well so its 34GB roaming.

All for £21 a month.
      Disclaimer: The views expressed here are my own and in no way represent the views or policies of my employer.

hicksmat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Middleton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Apple Airport Extreme ac
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

As I said many times - I cannot see where sky's market is at the prices they are charging. Bizarre.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Its a premium product you know

terryf is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: retford
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q hub
      Sky TV: Sky Q silver
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Sky Mobile are using the O2 network.
      That's a pity. I watch my friends on O2 standing in the garden in the rain, to make or take a call.
      Terry

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by terryf View Post
      That's a pity. I watch my friends on O2 standing in the garden in the rain, to make or take a call.
      Terry
      You can get an app to allow O2 phones to call through your home router. I'm not sure why your friends haven't set that up.

I'm sure that Sky will have something similar but I can't see any information on this at the moment.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

lettice is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tb + minis
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      You can get an app to allow O2 phones to call through your home router. I'm not sure why your friends haven't set that up.

I'm sure that Sky will have something similar but I can't see any information on this at the moment.
      That is O2 TuGo.
      It works well, my OH uses O2 Business with that. She daily does her work conf calls at home with it on her work iPad as well as her business phone.

She does not really use her business mobile away from our area at all, but apart from Three all the major networks have full 4g coverage here, so cannot say from personal experience what O2 coverage is like.
      But have been reading in response to sky mobile on other forums how poor people view the O2 network coverage. Seems they may have made a poor choice there to convince customers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast