Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky is about to launch a whole new way of watching TV

This is a discussion on Sky is about to launch a whole new way of watching TV within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Sky is about to launch a whole new way of watching TV | Tech | Life & Style | Daily ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,140 Times in 2,017 Posts

Sky is about to launch a whole new way of watching TV

Sky is about to launch a whole new way of watching TV | Tech | Life & Style | Daily Express
      FORGET traditional televisions - Sky is preparing the future of TV with this great new app.

Watching TV could be about to get a lot more immersive following a new announcement from Sky.

The TV giant has confirmed that it will be launching its own Virtual Reality (VR) app in a bid to offer more interactive content and programming.

The app will be launching later this summer, possibly set to coincide with the start of the new Premier League football season.

Sky confirmed the news in its recent financial results, saying that, "This summer we will launch a Sky VR app, confirming Sky as the home of quality VR content, along with a new mission to create high-end productions, exclusive to Sky VR.”

"This year we established Sky VR Studios, bringing our expertise in storytelling and unrivalled access to major cultural and sporting events to the creation of immersive Virtual Reality content."

The company revealed back in March that 2016 would see major investment into VR technology, with projects involving the network’s movies, TV and sport content all in progress.

Sky confirmed that it has already experimented with several sports, including Formula 1, Tour de France cycling, and boxing fights.

It has also said that many of the leading VR headsets will be compatible with the app, including the Oculus Rift, HTC Vive and Samsung Gear VR.

The news comes shortly after Sky Sports revealed a new deal that will mean every Premier League goal this season will be reported live on Twitter.

The clips will be viewable on the Sky Sports @SkyFootball account, along with in-depth analysis after every match.

However existing Sky Sports TV customers shouldn't feel like they are missing out, as the broadcaster is also making clips from every match it shows available on the Sky Sports Football Centre app.

2. Advertisement
      Footjoy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0208
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Q
      Thanks

Re: Sky is about to launch a whole new way of watching TV

Did this app ever launch? I haven't seen any more since reading this article.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL2+ ~6Mb
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ & mini box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Footjoy View Post
      Did this app ever launch? I haven't seen any more since reading this article.
      There was an "internal" announcement of Sky VR but I wouldn't (personally) expect it to go anywhere anytime soon.

Recent Tech news has all VR headset sales flatlining in recent months so it's going to be another (very) niche product which will be cancelled after a few years.

Good 4k with high frame rate and HDR for all content will surpass this soon.

Not sure If Sky Q firmware will allow all of this.
      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of Sky

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,140 Times in 2,017 Posts

There was a suggestion that next year some sport may have VR content. I guess it's a case of wait and see?

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

seawright is online now Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

skymedia.co.uk Sky launches Sky VR App - news from Sky Media

Sky Media

Sky is to become the home of high-quality virtual reality (VR) content with the launch of a brand new app, Sky VR. The app, available now for anyone to download for free, showcases a range of immersive, 360-degree videos from Sky, and the best content from Sky’s partners including Star Wars: Red Carpet, Anthony Joshua: Becoming World Champion and clips from Disney’s The Jungle Book.

To coincide with the app’s launch, Sky is also revealing two brand new VR experiences: Sky Sports: Closer featuring David Beckham. And, coming later this autumn, the first of a series of Sky exclusive commissions – a performance from English National Ballet’s production of Giselle ahead of its forthcoming UK tour.

In his second piece of VR content for Sky Sports, David Beckham is seen entering a Sky VR simulator, which takes him and the viewer to visit the world’s best sports events at the touch of a button. The footage was created in-house by the Sky VR Studios, in collaboration with Google. Viewers will feel like they are trackside at Silverstone or have ringside seats watching Anthony Joshua.

David Beckham said: “It was great to work with Sky and Google on this film to launch the new Sky Virtual Reality app. The team from the Sky VR studio came up with an incredible concept that shows the range of sport Sky offers. Being able to take other sports fans on a journey into some of the world’s biggest sporting events was a unique opportunity.”

At the other end of the creative spectrum viewers can access an immersive re-imagining of a performance from English National Ballet’s production of Giselle, which will be available later in October.

In addition to Giselle, Sky will commission a series of high-end VR experiences, under the Sky VR Exclusives label. Produced both in-house by the Sky VR Studios and with third-party partners, the series will build on the commitment to create VR content. This includes Sky News – US Elections and Tutankhamun’s Tomb –The Search for Nefertiti.

The first version of the app will give viewers a 360-degree video experience. Sky will be adding more to the app over the coming months, introducing more immersive VR features to improve the experience. Plus, to bring the full immersive experience of 360-video to as many people as possible, Sky will be giving away thousands of Google Cardboards to people visiting Sky Backstage at The O2 from 20 October. This forms part of Sky’s commitment to virtual reality and its ongoing relationship with Google.

At launch the Sky VR app will be home to around twenty different pieces of 360-degree video content from Sky, Disney, Fox Innovation Lab, Warner Brothers, Baobab Studios, Jaunt, Innerspace and Surround Vision.
      Content highlights in the app at launch include:

• Star Wars: Red Carpet (Sky Cinema) – get closer to the red carpet at the premiere of Star Wars: The Force Awakens
      • Anthony Joshua: Becoming World Champion – see Anthony as you have never seen him before, as he becomes IBF world heavyweight champion
      • Disney – two VR experiences from The Jungle Book, enabling viewers to get up close and personal with King Louie and Kaa
      • Fox Innovation Lab – The Martian Sneak Peek – transports viewers to Mars to follow the film’s protagonist Mark Watney after he has been stranded on the planet
      • Warner Brothers – Suicide Squad: Squad 360 – viewers can see what it’s like being a member of the Suicide Squad during a scene from the film
      • Team Sky – Journey to the Tour – follow the team preparing for their third Tour de France

• F1® – Team Williams – lets fans go behind the scenes of the Williams team, in the pit lane and in car viewing

• Sky News – Calais: The Jungle – taking viewers to the centre of the refugee crisis with footage from inside ‘The Jungle’
      • Baobab Studios – Invasion – a VR animation about a duo of aliens aiming to take over the world, but needing to overcome two fearsome white bunny rabbits
      • Jaunt – Paul McCartney: Dance Tonight – Paul takes viewers through the charming creation story of this song, and its music video

Gary Davey, Managing Director, Content at Sky, commented: “Interest in VR content is building, generating more excitement every day. We are just at the beginning of our VR journey at Sky, launching Sky VR studios earlier this year and we are already breaking new ground. Now comes the creative challenge of deploying this immersive experience with engaging story-telling. I am a big believer.”

Stephen Nuttall, Senior Director at Google and YouTube, says: “Great storytelling from Sky, in VR, for free on YouTube, and all accessible through Google Cardboard – a winning combination! Whether you’re passionate for sports or Beckham (or both!), this great partnership enables wonderful VR experiences for all to enjoy.”

Sky has been building its expertise in VR for a number of years. In 2013, the company invested in Jaunt, a US-based company pioneering cinematic virtual reality and will be sharing some content with their offering. Since then, Sky has been carrying out testing across a range of events including an interview in VR with David Beckham and Kirsty Gallacher, which saw him select his top three Premier League goals.

The app is available to download on a compatible mobile from Google Play or the App Store. The app will let anyone watch immersive Virtual Reality content on a Smartphone either in conjunction with a Google Cardboard headset or in 2D (360 degrees) without a headset. The app will also work when using Samsung Gear VR and Oculus Rift.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL2+ ~6Mb
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ & mini box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      skymedia.co.uk Sky launches Sky VR App - news from Sky Media
      Yeah! I saw this, doesn't it sound amazing - Not! (thanks "Waynes World")

Not sure I want to watch David Beckham for too long.
      Most VR headsets recommend a maximum of 30 minutes viewing without a break. That would mean it taking, something like 7 hours to watch Avatar!
      Isn't that movie long enough as it is...?
      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of Sky

seawright is online now Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Don't know about Wayne's World I'd prefer the virtual reality of Westworld if such a place ever exists. I didn't jump on the 3D bandwagon and I'm far too parsimonious to invest in an Oculus Rift. Google Cardboard would be more in my price range but whether it would give the same experience?

I'll try it when it appears in our local amusement park. As someone who felt queasy watching a travelogue in Cinerama immersing myself in VR for the average length of a fairground ride should be just about right.

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ 2tb + mini
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      Don't know about Wayne's World I'd prefer the virtual reality of Westworld if such a place ever exists. I didn't jump on the 3D bandwagon and I'm far too parsimonious to invest in an Oculus Rift. Google Cardboard would be more in my price range but whether it would give the same experience?

I'll try it when it appears in our local amusement park. As someone who felt queasy watching a travelogue in Cinerama immersing myself in VR for the average length of a fairground ride should be just about right.
      Google cardboard is great and works with all the VR apps I've used including the sky app.
      Found the Gear is the best of the bunch, but gets too heavy to use after 15 mins.

This one works well and is only £2.
      No problems using this with the sky or other VR apps on my Samsung Galaxy mega 6.3 running 4.4.2
      The magnets work too on this one, some of the card ones do not.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Must admit, I do find it more of a fad for me, like 3d.
      I am not a gamer, so have no interest in it there.