Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By Scubbie

Police raid Glasgow properties in illegal set-top probe

This is a discussion on Police raid Glasgow properties in illegal set-top probe within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Police raid Glasgow properties in illegal set-top probe Police Scotland have raided two properties in Glasgow as part of an ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Police Scotland have raided two properties in Glasgow as part of an investigation into the sale of illegal TV boxes to the UK licensed trade.The criminal operation is estimated to have cost broadcasters more than £40 million across the UK over the past eight years.

For the past 16 months Police Scotland has been working with investigators from the Federation of Copyright Theft (FACT) to identify the source of the illegal operation based in Glasgow but with a network across Scotland and the UK.

Support has also come from the English Premier League as well as Sky and BT.

Chief Inspector David Pettigrew said: “The scale of this operation is significant, with an estimated 500 pubs involved but this could really be just be the tip of the iceberg.

“This illegal production scheme has been carried out in other areas across the UK but this is undoubtedly the biggest operation of its kind in the world in terms of recovery.

Pubs are attracted to the modified receivers that receive streams of overseas pay-TV broadcasts because of the perceived high cost of subscriptions to Sky and BT.

Kieron Sharp, Director General of the Federation Against Copyright Theft (FACT) said: “Pub landlords, as well as the general public, need to be aware of IPTV and set-top boxes with apps and add-ons allowing the streaming of pirated TV, sports and films are very much illegal.

Although no arrests have been made at present, officers will be reviewing the seized material and running an investigation to identify those responsible.

2. Advertisement
      bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL2+ ~6Mb
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ & mini box
      Thanks

Re: Police raid Glasgow properties in illegal set-top probe

FYI this is most likely card sharing systems not Android boxes. Certainly the pub's in Glasgow I've visited that show "illegal" football are usually using card sharing systems. You can tell because only BT Sports is in HD, the Sky stuff is only SD.

I suppose a giveaway for investigators would be if the Pub has Fibre broadband but doesn't have wifi hotspots - why the need for superfast broadband otherwise?
      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of Sky

Thanks

Some time back BBC's Watchdog had an article about fake STBs. They certainly didn't share a viewing card, instead they had their own STB with their own software.

I either case, hopefully they will all be taken down.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL2+ ~6Mb
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ & mini box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Some time back BBC's Watchdog had an article about fake STBs. They certainly didn't share a viewing card, instead they had their own STB with their own software.

I either case, hopefully they will all be taken down.
      You do understand what card sharing is?
      I know it's a banned topic on site (and on all legal tech discussion forums) but surely the concept is known about.
      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of Sky

Thanks

I was thinking that a viewing card was 're-programmed' to mimic a legitimate one.

From what you're suggesting it also refers to other methods too.

Whilst I'm not keen on how FACT chases after various torrent sharers, I'm also not personally keen on people who watch Sky content without a legitimate subscription.
      Angel_Rex likes this.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms