Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By marjohn56

Nation picks settling down to a good box set over a book

This is a discussion on Nation picks settling down to a good box set over a book within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; https://corporate.sky.com/media-cent...et-over-a-book Nearly two thirds (64%) would rather tune into a box set than pick up a book Game of Thrones ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Nation picks settling down to a good box set over a book

https://corporate.sky.com/media-cent...et-over-a-book
      • Nearly two thirds (64%) would rather tune into a box set than pick up a book
      • Game of Thrones voted the best box set ever – research reveals the top 10 list*
      • Eight per cent say they fell in love with their partner over a box set
      • Rose Leslie launches Sky Box Sets Club – the UK’s first club dedicated to discussing addictively good box sets

New research[1] commissioned by Sky Box Sets, reveals nearly two thirds (64%) of Brits are choosing to settle down to a good box set over a book (rising to 82 per cent of under 24s). The nationwide study reflects the growing popularity of box sets in our everyday lives.

A quarter of respondents (27%) have three or more box sets on the go at any one time and, on average, they recommend their favourite shows to other people a whopping three times a week. More than half (52%) now also share their thoughts on what they’ve watched immediately on social media and 20% admit to feeling excluded if they hear others discussing a box set they haven’t yet seen.

To remedy a serious case of box set FOMO, 1 in 5 stay up all night to make sure they don’t miss out on the conversation. And nearly half admit Game of Thrones tops the ‘left out’ list.

While some forego sleep to catch up on conversational cliff-hangers, 10% say they will lie about watching a box set episode (rising to 1 in 5 (20%) of under 25s) by admitting to looking up episode synopses online in a bid to keep up with discussions. Again, Game of Thrones is the number one show people fib about seeing.

With the nation’s favourite shows such as Game of Thrones, The X-Files and The Walking Dead becoming such a social phenomenon, 73 per cent of under-24s and 57 per cent of 25 – 34 year olds say they would love join a club and chat about their favourite shows; which is why Sky Box Sets has teamed up with former Game of Thrones and Downton Abbey star Rose Leslie to launch Sky Box Sets Club – helping Brits share their passion for addictively good box sets.

Box sets are such an everyday part of life that for nearly a quarter of the population (22%) they are a regular topic of conversation at work, redefining the traditional ‘water cooler’ moment. A surprising further six per cent of 16 to 34 year olds confess to pulling a sickie from work to catch up on viewing. Even more surprisingly, the research shows that Brits find box sets so addictively good that many would rather watch their favourite show than have sex with a partner (12%).

The research also discovers eight per cent admitting they fell in love with their partner over a shared love of a particular box set. A quarter (24%) of box set lovers say TV is a hot topic on a first date, while over 1 in 5 (21%) 16-24 year olds say they’ve judged wanting to get to know someone better on the basis of their favourite box set. Conversely, nine per cent admit they’ve tuned out after discovering their date was a fan of a show they didn’t like.

And we’re using tablets and mobiles to watch shows anywhere anytime - on holiday (7%), at work (3%) and even in the bath (5%) or on the loo (3%).

Behavioural psychologist, Emma Kenny, comments: “This research demonstrates our need for connection and shared experiences. The most important part of being human is connecting with others, and we should celebrate what helps us do that. Compared to books, box sets are a new phenomenon, but one nonetheless that gets people talking and connecting.

"With one in five people admitting to cheating, by looking up episodes they have missed online, it demonstrates the importance of feeling part of something. The best part the box set trend is the democracy involved. Box sets transcend social divides cutting across economic status and education and enable us to come together as a whole.”

Luke Bradley-Jones, Director of TV and Content Products Sky says: “With more and more people preferring to relax in front of a good box set rather than pick up a book, we want to help them kick start their conversations through Sky Box Sets Club. It is a brilliant new way to catch up with friends, at home or online, over a shared love of addictively good TV shows.”

Sky Box Sets is home to more than 350 of the most addictively good shows including Billions, The Affair, Twin Peaks, The Sopranos and Game of Thrones.

To find out more and for the chance to attend Sky Box Sets Club visit sky.com/SkyBoxSetsClub

2. Advertisement
      lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub (no Sky Q here, hub is for sky+hd and sky broadband)
      Thanks

Re: Nation picks settling down to a good box set over a book

What a load of nonsense.

How do you fall in love over a boxset.

64% of brits watch boxsets? Assume that's sky/virgin users or some netflix only users, as very few freeview customers in the last report I saw had netflix/amazon or even basic catchup capability. It was mostly customers who had sky/virgin that used extra OTT or on demand services.

As for that Behavioural psychologist, that statement is just pathetic. More importantly stop giving them made up ideas to think they get anxious.

As for books, was only reading research last week that books and audiobooks are more popular than ever,
      Last edited by lettice; 13-05-16 at 12:25 PM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,621 Times in 1,583 Posts

Couldn't agree more, complete rubbish, but I suppose someone is getting paid big bucks for dreaming this up.(

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Router: HG612B + pfSense 2.3.3.a.20160903.1846
      Sky TV: DRX890c 2Tb
      Thanks

Lies, damn lies and statistics...

Statistics can be made to say whatever you want, statistically speaking.
      vfx likes this.
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      To every rule there is an exception, and vice versa

BurnIT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01827
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

At no point in that article does he say how many people were in the sample - which kind of makes the figures meaningless.

He should see my back room and cupboards in my conservatory - not to mention the bannister on the landing and both desks either side of my bed.
      I must admit that I am cutting down on paper books and reading more on my Kobo Touch in bed.

marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Router: HG612B + pfSense 2.3.3.a.20160903.1846
      Sky TV: DRX890c 2Tb
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BurnIT View Post
      He should see my back room and cupboards in my conservatory - not to mention the bannister on the landing and both desks either side of my bed.
      I must admit that I am cutting down on paper books and reading more on my Kobo Touch in bed.
      I have a fear that the floor in my wife's study will give way one day due to the amount of books stored in that room.
      To every rule there is an exception, and vice versa

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL2+ ~6Mb
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ & mini box
      Thanks

There was a claim I saw that said 5% of people like catching up with a boxset in the bath!!!

Is there a corresponding stat for ipads being dropped in the bath too?

The whole thing is marketing BS.

BoxSet clubs too.

Haven't we been here before with Sky HD parties about 9 or 10 years ago?
      Remember them, where you could get vouchers for snacks for your parties?
      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of Sky

BurnIT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01827
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Were they Pie in the Sky??

I'm going..........!

FelixTCat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Tilehurst
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Shock! Horror!

Most of nation can't read.

vfx
      vfx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub 2 SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD x4 MS
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bubblegun View Post
      There was a claim I saw that said 5% of people like catching up with a boxset in the bath!!!

Is there a corresponding stat for ipads being dropped in the bath too?

The whole thing is marketing BS.

BoxSet clubs too.

Haven't we been here before with Sky HD parties about 9 or 10 years ago?
      Remember them, where you could get vouchers for snacks for your parties?
      O_o I had never heard of this.

Quote Originally Posted by FelixTCat View Post
      Shock! Horror!

Most of nation can't read.
      Heh! True but sad. The other part I find infuriating with this, those that can read but only read if it is views they like.

I'm also shocked from the amount of articles on most websites becoming nowadays, a section with TL;DR.