Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Like Tree40Likes

Sky Q

This is a discussion on Sky Q within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Originally Posted by The Realist I must say that the business has changed over the last few years towards improving ...

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: Sky Q

Quote Originally Posted by The Realist View Post
      I must say that the business has changed over the last few years towards improving the quality of work, customer interaction and making sure the customer is No1 and that's what makes Sky the No1 in TV viewing in the UK.

I have seen people come and go for a wide range of reasons but if your not willing to move with fluid viewing then there's the door bye.

SkyQ is a product that will change how we view TV and I can remember when HD first came out and what people was saying then and look where it is today but say the same thing for 3D that's gone by the wade side and in the bin if you ask me.
      I suspect that you're probably right in that "SkyQ is a product that will change how we view TV".

There is nothing special about it though.
      Powered HDMI distribution, a drill + some time already beats it on performance.

2. Advertisement
      The Realist is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Anything
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre 100GB Trial Gold X
      Router: Sky Q Hub Mk7 Trial Gold
      Sky TV: SkyQ/Motorised
      Thanks

But not all people want cable everywhere plus each multiscreen stb is portable, move to what ever room you need.

Cant do that with a cable and drill.
      Disclaimer: The views expressed here are my own and in no way represent the views or policies of my employer.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

But not all people want cable everywhere
      That's the 'time' part of the equation.

plus each multiscreen stb is portable, move to what ever room you need.
      Multiscreen stb:
      Mains power cable
      HDMI cable
      Possibly other (ethernet) cable
      Folks generally won't be moving them around on a daily basis.

With foresight, time & effort you can beat 'Q' hands down & save a lot of money while you're at it.
      'Q' is nothing special & there are 4k splitters out there now.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL2+ ~6Mb
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ & mini box
      Thanks

As far as I have seen so far the interface looks like a Kodi skin and most of the functions are possible in Kodi with the exception that most "legal" content providers do not support Kodi.

Also why is the best box announced so far the Silver?
      Isn't Silver normally seen as finishing second?
      If it stays this way then I'm sure competitors will make promos poking fun at this.
      Presumably there will be a Gold and (maybe?) Platinum box coming along, eventually, with higher capacities for recording..
      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of Sky

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

But not all people want cable everywhere plus each multiscreen stb is portable, move to what ever room you need.

I'm not sure, but it is possible that the Sky Q boxes might just chat with one another either via WiFi or the Powerline AV1.1 feature when the Sky Q Hub isn't used.

This is something to be found out when someone gives us more information or after people start getting it delivered.

Quote Originally Posted by bubblegun View Post
      As far as I have seen so far the interface looks like a Kodi skin and most of the functions are possible in Kodi with the exception that most "legal" content providers do not support Kodi.
      It is possible, but I'm not that familiar with Kodi and there are a lot of different ways to configure it. Sky have been investing a lot over the past few years in different pieces of coding for video.

Quote Originally Posted by bubblegun View Post
      Also why is the best box announced so far the Silver?
      Isn't Silver normally seen as finishing second?
      If it stays this way then I'm sure competitors will make promos poking fun at this.
      Presumably there will be a Gold and (maybe?) Platinum box coming along, eventually, with higher capacities for recording..
      This has been touched upon and not forgotten.

Essentially the press announcement was an over view of what is going to be launched initially. It was stated that Sky will continue to develop this platform and bring out new features in the future and that it won't be standing still.

There was no specific mention of what they are looking to do, nor how.

Sure they'll be updating the Sky Q Silver firmware so that 4K UHD support can become available, but as for the other possible boxes, this is one of the games they are playing with us for now.

I guess that this will keep the competition on their toes. Even if thy can get close to emulating what Sky is bringing out, they can always claim that they have something better in development.

The other precious metals have been muted already. Gold, Platinum and Titanium are all possible lines for the future. Perhaps something for an 8K TV too?

Depending on how well the streaming works, perhaps the Sky Q Mini will have a different variation too? The Sky Q Mini can only support up to a HD TV. I'm sure that someone will have a 2nd 4K TV in their home, maybe 3. This leaves me to suspect that someone will be working on a slightly more expensive version of the Sy Q Mini that can support 4K at a later date.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Meteosat is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Porthcawl (S.Wales)
      Broadband ISP: BT INFINITY
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Smile Re: Sky Q

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Why would you want 2 Sky subscriptions?

I certainly don't. Not sure where that idea came from, but with over a terabyte of recordings that I wish to look at over an extended period of time, I have no intention of joining the 'Q' unless a card can be provided to let me slowly run down the current 2tb pvr.

As for transferring those amount of recordings.....

No, it won't happen for that amount of data as I don't own a suitable recorder or wish to dedicate weeks of my life to re-recording

I'm sure those clever guys at SKY will come up with some kind of card which will allow playback without recording for an interim period

Cheers

Thanks

The idea of watching recording after a cease of contract will never happen due to copyright.

Quote Originally Posted by Meteosat View Post
      I certainly don't. Not sure where that idea came from, but with over a terabyte of recordings that I wish to look at over an extended period of time, I have no intention of joining the 'Q' unless a card can be provided to let me slowly run down the current 2tb pvr.

As for transferring those amount of recordings.....

No, it won't happen for that amount of data as I don't own a suitable recorder or wish to dedicate weeks of my life to re-recording

I'm sure those clever guys at SKY will come up with some kind of card which will allow playback without recording for an interim period

Cheers
      Disclaimer: The views expressed here are my own and in no way represent the views or policies of my employer.

Meteosat is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Porthcawl (S.Wales)
      Broadband ISP: BT INFINITY
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

The idea of watching recording after a cease of contract will never happen due to copyright.
      But if I get a Q box effectively the contract continues?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,620 Times in 1,582 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Meteosat View Post
      But if I get a Q box effectively the contract continues?
      I don't think that makes any difference. It is the same as when you get a new box, as soon as the card is activated in it, the old box ceases to work as far as recording/playback is concerned.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I don't think that makes any difference. It is the same as when you get a new box, as soon as the card is activated in it, the old box ceases to work as far as recording/playback is concerned.

Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast